Dramatically lower prices now. Glad I cancelled just before final payment was due.

Stockjock

I cancelled an 11-night sailing out of "Rome" due to Covid concerns and the ever-changing rules in terms of testing and travel.  We had booked a lower end Bella oceanview GUAR with a drink package for a bit over $2,200 after our discounts and were upgraded to a Bella partially obstructed balcony.

Today on that sailing for a Magnifica balcony (no drink package), and given the free balcony upgrade promotion, the cost is now just north of $1,200 for a better cabin than before.  About a week ago, that same cabin would’ve been roughly $2800 which would have included drinks.

It also appears to me that there are a lot more available cabins than before, which makes me wonder if they were holding some back to make supply look artificially tight.

We're not going to make this one, but I would have been annoyed if I stuck it out through final payment only to see this kind of price drop.  On the flip side, for those who are able and willing to travel, this seems like a very good price.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Let me add that there's something very weird going on with MSC's website and pricing.

Did the above mentioned search just for kicks and saw that the balcony cabins were going for about $600 per person (no drink package even offered, but showed as a free balcony upgrade per their promotion).

Did a search after writing this, and this sailing showed at the previous price, which was almost double.  No balcony upgrade offered, but drink package optional.

Completed yet another search and the sailing didn't even show up on that date at all.  It didn't even exist.

Just did another search, and again it's back up to the prior higher price with free balcony not offered, but a drink package available.

All very strange.  I guess if you see something you really want to book at a great price, grab it, as their is some weirdness going on with their prices and availability.

Edited by Stockjock

I also have a summer 2022 cruise booked.  The price is much lower than what I paid, even after a 20% courtesy credit.  On hold now while the agent sees if she can move this and the discount to the better pricing.

But...while I've been on hold, pricing disappeared from the balcony upgrade promotion and increased dramatically.  Again, if you get a good rate and especially if it's still well outside of final payment, lock it in due to the aforementioned pricing weirdness.

Agent just came back and my summer 2022 sailing not eligible for free balcony upgrade promotion, but it was shown as eligible just 20 minutes ago.  All very strange.

Edited by Stockjock

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Did the above mentioned search just for kicks and saw that the balcony cabins were going for about $600 per person (no drink package even offered, but showed as a free balcony upgrade per their promotion).

Did a search after writing this, and this sailing showed at the previous price, which was almost double.  No balcony upgrade offered, but drink package optional.

Completed yet another search and the sailing didn't even show up on that date at all.  It didn't even exist.

Just did another search, and again it's back up to the prior higher price with free balcony not offered, but a drink package available.

Are you having a glass of wine between searches again, lol?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think the key is that if you see a great price, either lock it in by booking, or at a minimum, put a hold on it.

I looked at 2 cruises, the one that I cancelled (November 2021) and the cruise booked for summer 2022.  The November 2021 cruise was around $1,200 for 2 and the summer 2022 cruise was $1,400 or so for 2, both Fantastica balcony categories.

While I was on the phone with MSC, both went up in price by over $1,000.  If I had gone forward to the payment page, but not actually paid, it would have held that booking and price for a few days.  But because I exited before the payment page, the price was increased quite a lot.  Lesson learned, as I would have saved some money on the Summer 2022 cruise.

They did send me the "Hurry, your MSC cruise is waiting!" e-mail, which confirmed that I was looking at the right cruise, but by the time I clicked through, the drastically reduced prices had vanished.

C'est la vie.

Edited by Stockjock