A first look at the Koningsdam Menus

zgscl

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You make a fabulous case for being on a cruise ship and with that we completely agree.  But while a starving person would be very happy to be able to go to McDonalds they might be much happier to be in an upscale restaurant.

Hank

Hank, my apologies for having quoted you and only you.  There were certainly other posts I disagreed with that I could have included/quoted as well.  I'd settle for McDonalds right now.  😉  I guess my primary point was really about perspective.  For me (and for some others, I suspect), right now, being in the MDR would be an upscale experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Hank, my apologies for having quoted you and only you.  There were certainly other posts I disagreed with that I could have included/quoted as well.  I'd settle for McDonalds right now.  😉  I guess my primary point was really about perspective.  For me (and for some others, I suspect), right now, being in the MDR would be an upscale experience.

No apology necessary.  I have thick skin (in terms of CC) and welcome other opinions :).  But there is a postscript to the post/story.  A few hours after I posted we received an e-mail from HAL that our 42 day Noordam cruise (March 2022) had been cancelled.  HAL is automatically rolling over our reservation (at the same price) to a similar Westerdam itinerary in March 2023!  DW and I and now taking a deep breath (to think through all of our options) but contemplating cancelling the 2023 voyage (which we have never booked) because we have a lot of doubts whether we would still enjoy a long cruise on HAL.  To be very blunt, we have been spoiled by our last two cruises on Seabourn (and have an Oceania cruise coming up in December) and need to reconsider our philosophy of cruising on nearly any line because of the itinerary.   Kind of sad when a 5 Star Mariner now questions whether HAL is a decent option.  Perhaps we shall wait and see what is posted by future cruisers in the next few months.

Hank

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 11:53 PM, zgscl said:

Saturday MDR Dinner

IMG_1522.thumb.PNG.934e789b4d4fd9b37e5f23a75ad6ac6b.PNG

IMG_1523.thumb.PNG.f348d9b57cc0cb855d8c5799a74af84c.PNG

Saturday - Lido

IMG_1524.thumb.PNG.f783633db091a1d2b46945843050dda6.PNG

IMG_1525.thumb.PNG.01eb8cbefa56824c7d47a0fe1581420a.PNG

IMG_1526.thumb.PNG.684cb66910151ab26e35035db7acb45d.PNG

Canaletto - looks identical to Alaska with same upsell pricing (by the way I highly recommend the crab risotto, hands down best dish we had on the entire trip, lamb in Canaletto was a close second). IMG_1534.thumb.PNG.ead130b2f35d619fd26e7e2db8ff3cae.PNG

IMG_1535.thumb.PNG.9f3301117bb4bb8021106eb77c7fa277.PNG

Thank you!

On 9/30/2021 at 11:03 AM, HAL4NOW said:

The New York Strip Steak was available every night in the MDR on the NA last week.

Do you remember if the salmon was also offered every night?  That is usually my fall back if I don't care for anything on the evening menu.  Rustic lasagna is not an option for me as I do not eat red meat. 

I also too wonder about "fresh market seafood" - what is that???

21 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Do you remember if the salmon was also offered every night?  That is usually my fall back if I don't care for anything on the evening menu.  Rustic lasagna is not an option for me as I do not eat red meat. 

On my Navigator app for today’s dinner on the Eurodam,  I noticed New York strip steak, chicken and salmon at the end of the other items, hopefully they will be everyday options.

image.thumb.png.879da1b0c45b6b10d8641b7aafbd2876.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

They seemed to have salmon most nights, but it was Alaska. The Fresh Market seafood option seemed to be a different type of fish every night. I never ordered it, but my SIL had it a couple times because she prefers not to eat red meat. I don't remember what type of fish was offered, because I found other items on the menu that interested me more.

5 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

We’re booked on the Koningsdam at the end of December and I can see another menu posted today. Looks like they’re finally adding a few more choices each day. Hope they keep that up

D1422B0A-A903-4C23-99A1-12AEB49AA45E.png

E23343F3-E490-4478-ACA4-DD2A7403D416.png

Thanks for posting this! Just checked my app and it I can now see the same thing. This looks more correct with the indulge section included. Too bad there is no crisp on here but it does look like more selection (though I think 4-5 of the items on entrees and starters are the always available items so there is less daily stuff than it looks like). 

• Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly that I would be overjoyed to be in any MDR at the moment.

Having said that, I think the Culinary Council concept has long past run it’s course.

While these may be talented chefs their recipes do not always adapt well to mass shipboard preparation.

And many are too avant-garde for my tastes, and I say that as someone who has worked in the food & beverage industry for decades.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

They seemed to have salmon most nights, but it was Alaska. The Fresh Market seafood option seemed to be a different type of fish every night. I never ordered it, but my SIL had it a couple times because she prefers not to eat red meat. I don't remember what type of fish was offered, because I found other items on the menu that interested me more.

Thanks for the information.  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:13 PM, zgscl said:

This will be my first cabana rental. Apparently they will being whatever you want from the lido/pizza/dive in to enjoy from your private cabana or the much less crowded retreat area. Will be interesting to see how I like it. Totally agree with you I am not at all a fan of crowds. 

We get a cabana whenever possible because we just love having a large outdoor space to ourselves with the cabana steward to bring us cocktails and chocolate covered strawberries.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, zgscl said:

Another one!

EFAA53FF-A1DA-4FFA-BB02-58F0E44C166E.png

061E943E-BD6C-4445-B167-597DC8DAFB8C.png

Was this a GALA night menu? Some of the items make it look like one. If so, which day of the cruise was it? I don't like to skip the Escargot or the Black Forest Cake with a non-MDR dinner! 

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Was this a GALA night menu? Some of the items make it look like one. If so, which day of the cruise was it? I don't like to skip the Escargot or the Black Forest Cake with a non-MDR dinner! 

It doesn’t tell you if it’s gala or not on the navigator, or at least it doesn’t on mine.  Looking at this menu I would say it is the gala.  Depends on the cruise and length of it for gala.  If it’s a 7 day cruise and the second day is a sea day that usually is the gala.  The second to the last day generally is the second one.  If your cruise starts on a Saturday it would likely be Sunday and Thursday.  That isn’t written in stone though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greysandy said:

We get a cabana whenever possible because we just love having a large outdoor space to ourselves with the cabana steward to bring us cocktails and chocolate covered strawberries.

I booked one for my cruise next month. Will be both my first solo trip and first time with a cabana. I can't wait! The cabana service looks so lovely. 

5 hours ago, PSR said:

Based on what they did in Alaska the gala menu looks different and will say either "Silver Gala" or "Gold Gala" at the top. Not sure what they do on the 2 week cruises. Maybe there is a platinum and titanium gala?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PSR said:

These were the Nieuw Amsterdam gala menus from Alaska. The indulge options are available but for some unknown reason they do not put it on here on the two nights which are special where people might be more likely to actually pay more for the lobster or other items. 

B5DD23AF-03EB-4588-88BE-44BE62AA9FA6.png

IMG_0228.PNG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zgscl said:

These were the Nieuw Amsterdam gala menus from Alaska. The indulge options are available but for some unknown reason they do not put it on here on the two nights which are special where people might be more likely to actually pay more for the lobster or other items. 

B5DD23AF-03EB-4588-88BE-44BE62AA9FA6.png

IMG_0228.PNG

Thanks for the reminder menus; we skipped both, but the Silver one was the one I wished I hadn't.....😒

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thanks for the reminder menus; we skipped both, but the Silver one was the one I wished I hadn't.....😒

We enjoyed the Silver! The Gold was also good, though the specialty restaurants are better than both if you are inclined to go that route. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, zgscl said:

Room service menu now available

D5FF5290-0391-4F9D-91E1-0E6FE3AF0BA8.png

ABA55E2C-8679-41E2-920A-110BD6006C68.png

3AAD0583-43DF-4635-94BA-9BF9949585E8.png

6CCB65CF-1CC5-46D4-97C1-ED020D75F605.png

651E48CA-4550-4274-9EC2-C7265414A712.png

D1969A05-BA2A-4DA7-A272-5E5E12C8542A.png

This menu indicates that the signature beverage package covers drinks priced at 9.00 or less.  It was my understanding that drinks 11.00 or less were covered by the package.  Is this a mistake in the menu or is there a lowering of the amount covered by the signature beverage package. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, walnut99 said:

This menu indicates that the signature beverage package covers drinks priced at 9.00 or less.  It was my understanding that drinks 11.00 or less were covered by the package.  Is this a mistake in the menu or is there a lowering of the amount covered by the signature beverage package. 

Mistake in the menu... it's in fact $11.00 or less.

• 6 months later...