Cruise Activity Announcements in Cabin etc.

halifaxcruising

It has been a number of years since we have cruised on Princess but one of the things we remarked on on our last few cruises with them that there were constant announcements about ongoing activities around the ship - both in your cabin and in common areas of the ship.   We have cruised on Holland America, Cunard and Celebrity and there are less frequent or non-existent than we experienced on previous Princess Cruises.  

Has Princess modified this activity?

For many years it seems almost all announcements have been out in public areas, not in cabins.  I have to go open the cabin door in order to hear the announcements.  I heard that this change was made because passengers complained that announcements heard in cabin disturbed their sleep.  Princess being Princess not wanting to alienate passengers made the change to almost all announcements not heard in cabin.  I believe most are broadcast on a channel on the TV, if you keep it on or are quick enough.  This is my experience YMMV

In the last 10 years or so that I have cruised, the only announcements I remember being broadcast directly into the cabin were from the Captain.  All related to issues of more importance than the daily Trivia Game.  1 was a medical evacuation and the other 2 were related to ongoing issues around virus outbreaks, namely the H1N1 (which caused our entire cruise to be redirected) and an onboard outbreak of the Norovirus.

As with a previous poster, if we wanted to hear other announcements we had to open the door.

• Like 1

On our last cruise (NOV 2019), I noticed there seemed to be more public announcements of activities on Sea Days.  IIRC, at least one in the morning, and then one after lunch (probably after the noon status report from the Bridge).  Memory fades, but I seem to think I was in the cabin one time and there was an activities type announcement that came there - and I was surprised.  Could have been an accident.  Generally, those announcements have always been in the public areas, including hallways. 

Edited by Steelers36

The only annoucements we heard in the cabin on the last crusie were to do with the ship changing course such as for a medical emergency or a port cancelled due to a storm.

I remember that we would try to make sure that we were outside the cabin to hear the noon captain's anouncement as it was more like a story than a quick summary.

It was just a pity we could not be in the cabin when the art auction anoucements were made. Sorry but we were not lovers of the long winded art action anoucements on our last cruise and especially during trivia.

• Like 1