How is food served these days?

Maedie1

My apologies if this has been asked, but I can't find any info on it. I haven't taken a cruise in two years thanks to the craziness going on in the world and I'm finally booked on the Carnival Sunrise for Oct 9th 2021.

I would like to hear from other members.. How are the buffets working as well as venues like Guy's Burger Joint? Are you allowed to serve yourself, or is there a crew member at every dish? How does the topping bar work at Guy's? Are the condiment dispensers still working? Last question: I'm not sure if it varies by state, but are masks required on the outdoor decks? Carnival's website says masks are strongly encouraged but it doesn't say required. Thanks!

I got off of Magic last Thursday.  It was all pretty much business as usual, with a few refinements.  You'll hardly notice a difference.

Masking requirements in port vary by destination.  At Nassau, for instance, you're required to wear masks outdoors, not so at other stops.  You can look all of that up, and Carnival will provide the information once on board.

• Like 2

I agree, in regards to the food, very much as it was before.  Except the ships are at lower capacity, so not so crowded.  I never had more than 1 or 2 people in line in front of me at Guy's.

On Mardi Gras in August, masks were supposed to be worn inside, but not out on the decks.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hand washing stations in the back of the buffet and a few other areas added. They were really cool. Felt good. You stick both hands in and the water and soap starts and turns off automatically when it's done. Dont touch anything for it to start.

I think they may have had those already, at least on some ships.  I remember these nifty round cylinder thingies that you'd stick your arms in, and they'd automatically soap and rinse your hands.  This was several cruises ago, so maybe on the Vista or the Conquest?

CCL has also had the self-contained had-washing stations on the Lido Deck near Guy's  on some ships.  They had a habit of "forgetting" which cycle (soap, rinse, dry) they were supposed to be handling. 🙂 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Deli and pizza now behind plexiglas.  

I don't think this is a bug...more of a feature.   Sneeze-guards are a Good Thing. 

• Like 1

On Mardi Gras Sept 4, and the buffet was regular self serve.  At BBQ and Guy's you could add your own accompaniments yourself at nearby counters.

Plenty of sanitizer dispensers and sinks for hand washing (which I never saw used) around the ship and at buffet entrances.

Masks were not required outside, and were suggested for inside venues, required in elevators.  Comedy Club encouraged guests to mask up if not drinking.  We saw most guests complying, and didn't witness anyone protesting or aggressively violating any health protocols.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, Maedie1 said:

Thanks for all the replies you guys. I have one more question.

Are they still doing formal night or what?

Well...for small values of "formal," as is Carnival's policy regarding "cruise elegant" nights.   

It is lightly enforced on Carnival, if at all.  

9 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Well...for small values of "formal," as is Carnival's policy regarding "cruise elegant" nights.   

It is lightly enforced on Carnival, if at all.  

Yep.... the most they're gonna' get out of me is dress slacks and a decent looking Polo shirt.  But I always seem to have a lot of company with that level of elegance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, groundloop said:

Yep.... the most they're gonna' get out of me is dress slacks and a decent looking Polo shirt.  But I always seem to have a lot of company with that level of elegance.

That's what I wear.  Collared shirt and "nice" pants.  It's been many years since I wore a 3-piece...and that was 'cause my mom made me do it.  😄   

• Haha 1

Since most ships have at least 2 MDRs, they should designate one to be elegant dress and the other to be normal.  That way, those that want to be elegant won't be saddened by others around them who don't dress up.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, dude_hdt said:

Since most ships have at least 2 MDRs, they should designate one to be elegant dress and the other to be normal.  That way, those that want to be elegant won't be saddened by others around them who don't dress up.

This wouldn't be workable because they designate one MDR for set-time dining and the other for YTD (with some overlap either way).   

What they COULD do is make most or all of the dining room entrees on Elegant Night also available on the buffet.  They'll sometimes have prime rib out there, but not lobster tails.  

13 hours ago, mommysoncruiser said:

Served with the fingers people have licked and with the snot from people sneezing 😉. Not sure why it is self serve but it is what it is!

EEEEWWWWWW! Not that I used the buffet that much anyway, but your graphic description has totally put me off of it! Thanks - I think.  🤑

• Haha 1