NCL Free at Sea - Specialty Dining limitations?

Fire6

In reading the fine print for the Free at Sea specialty dining component, it looks like it is limited to just the French and steak places, and it also appears that only the main course is free (so if you had a starter and/or dessert it would be at normal prices).

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Fire6 said:

In reading the fine print for the Free at Sea specialty dining component, it looks like it is limited to just the French and steak places, and it also appears that only the main course is free (so if you had a starter and/or dessert it would be at normal prices).

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks!

No, that's not correct.

You can use your Free at Sea specialty dining credits at any of the specialty restaurants.

The line that's confusing you is intended to mean that if you dine at Cagney's or Le Bistro as one of your selections, you only get one main course included and you would have to pay the a la carte price if you wanted a second main course. Your appetizers, desserts, etc. are still included.

There are many, many threads on here about the ins and outs of the Free at Sea specialty dining program; take a read through a few of them and they'll probably answer any other questions you have.

• Like 2

Thank you.   I will do a bit more searching of the threads.   There is so much fine print with "Free at Sea" and we are looking at a last minute cruise and trying to understand if it is worth it.

3 hours ago, Fire6 said:

In reading the fine print for the Free at Sea specialty dining component, it looks like it is limited to just the French and steak places, and it also appears that only the main course is free (so if you had a starter and/or dessert it would be at normal prices). Am I reading this correctly? Thanks!

You can use your credit at any Specialty Restaurant. French, Steak, Seafood, Italian, Mexican, BBQ, Asian, Brazilian BBQ. You can order as appetizers, entrees, sides, desserts. Here's a cupule of examples from our recent cruise. 100% of the charges are paid for by the "UDP" which is the old name for the Specialty Dining Package (SDP). (NCL has never updated their points of sale for the name change). 

image.thumb.png.fff4946d250436822020b679fb15e5e2.png

image.png.31ad36109666e6bddce986a0b79d7ba3.png

image.thumb.png.8d59fd99cf6e33d223eadb466573f89a.png

• Like 2

Thank you.   I have been searching the forum and not finding much.  I think we are going to book the cruise tonight and we will just ask some very specific questions before we try to use the specialty restaraunts.  

We have cruised other lines, but never NCL, so it is a quick learning process to understand the particulars of this cruise line.

50 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

(NCL has never updated their points of sale for the name change)

Nor the website...

Item # Description Per Person Price

Please call to find out pricing for sailings longer than 15 days. 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added at time of purchase.

2UDP 2-Meal Specialty Dining Package $79.00 USD
3UDP 3-Meal Specialty Dining Package $99.00 USD
4UDP 4-Meal Specialty Dining Package $114.00 USD
5UDP 5-Meal Specialty Dining Package $129.00 USD
6UDP 6-Meal Specialty Dining Package $139.00 USD
7UDP 7-Meal Specialty Dining Package $149.00 USD
8UDP 8-Meal Specialty Dining Package $159.00 USD
9UDP 9-Meal Specialty Dining Package $169.00 USD
10UDP 10-Meal Specialty Dining Package $179.00 USD
11UDP 11-Meal Specialty Dining Package $189.00 USD
12UDP 12-Meal Specialty Dining Package $199.00 USD
13UDP 13-Meal Specialty Dining Package $209.00 USD
14UDP 14-Meal Specialty Dining Package $219.00 USD

As everyone else has pointed out, your plan is good at any of the specialty restaurants.  Believe it or not, at one time the UDP didn't have restrictions, mainly because NCL didn't envision people ordering more than one entree, starter, etc..  However, we witnessed people do that quite often.  We sat next to a table of four in Le Bistro on Jewel and watched everyone at that table order every entree, take a few bites of each, and get up and leave.  It wasn't long after that that the new restrictions were promulgated by the company.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

No, that's not correct.

You can use your Free at Sea specialty dining credits at any of the specialty restaurants.

The line that's confusing you is intended to mean that if you dine at Cagney's or Le Bistro as one of your selections, you only get one main course included and you would have to pay the a la carte price if you wanted a second main course. Your appetizers, desserts, etc. are still included.

There are many, many threads on here about the ins and outs of the Free at Sea specialty dining program; take a read through a few of them and they'll probably answer any other questions you have.

Are you saying then other than Cagney's or Le Bistro you can order more than 1 entree per person without being charged extra? 

1 hour ago, Carnac767 said:

As everyone else has pointed out, your plan is good at any of the specialty restaurants.  Believe it or not, at one time the UDP didn't have restrictions, mainly because NCL didn't envision people ordering more than one entree, starter, etc..  However, we witnessed people do that quite often.  We sat next to a table of four in Le Bistro on Jewel and watched everyone at that table order every entree, take a few bites of each, and get up and leave.  It wasn't long after that that the new restrictions were promulgated by the company.

Don't flame me for saying this, but that's just plain gluttony. I saw several guests onboard our sailing order multiple items at La Cucina and leave 90% on the plate to be thrown in the trash. I'm sorry, but that's just wasteful and it contributes to the attitude many in the non-cruising public have about us cruisers being arrogant and wasteful. I get the "it's my vacation" angle, but it's still being wasteful. I tried to eat every bite of whatever I ordered on our cruise, even ordering less food than I normally would for fear of wasting. Of course, when people waste food, that's when the cruise lines get stingy with their offerings and/or raise their prices. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Are you saying then other than Cagney's or Le Bistro you can order more than 1 entree per person without being charged extra? 

That's my understanding, at least at the a la carte places. The flat fee at Moderna and Teppanyaki is all you can eat to start with. 

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's my understanding, at least at the a la carte places. The flat fee at Moderna and Teppanyaki is all you can eat to start with. 

Teppanyaki isn't really "all you can eat."  They make a certain amount of your protein and that's what you get.  There is usually plenty of rice leftover but I don't count that as AYCE.  Moderno is truly AYCE:  You take a little of everything, then second servings (or more...) of your favorites.  When you flip your chip to red, you feel like you've failed 🙂

I've heard mixed opinions about multiple appetizers.  For instance, if I got a Shrimp Cocktail and I also wanted something else (or a second shrimp cocktail, for that matter) would the extra be charged?

Some appetizers and main course dishes carry a supplement charge,.

For example a tomahawk steak at Cagney’s will cost you additional $25.

However, couple of years ago they used to waive it on the embarkation day.

Also they offer add boiled lobster tail for additional $19. Not sure if that applies to dining packages as well.

18 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Nor the website...

Item # Description Per Person Price

Please call to find out pricing for sailings longer than 15 days. 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added at time of purchase.

2UDP 2-Meal Specialty Dining Package $79.00 USD
3UDP 3-Meal Specialty Dining Package $99.00 USD
4UDP 4-Meal Specialty Dining Package $114.00 USD
5UDP 5-Meal Specialty Dining Package $129.00 USD
6UDP 6-Meal Specialty Dining Package $139.00 USD
7UDP 7-Meal Specialty Dining Package $149.00 USD
8UDP 8-Meal Specialty Dining Package $159.00 USD
9UDP 9-Meal Specialty Dining Package $169.00 USD
10UDP 10-Meal Specialty Dining Package $179.00 USD
11UDP 11-Meal Specialty Dining Package $189.00 USD
12UDP 12-Meal Specialty Dining Package $199.00 USD
13UDP 13-Meal Specialty Dining Package $209.00 USD
14UDP 14-Meal Specialty Dining Package $219.00 USD

I wish I could upgrade my “free” 2 meal plan to 4 or 5 paying the price difference . 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do people really want to order (and eat) two entrees?  I'm no lightweight, but with appetizers and dessert, I'm stuffed regardless of what the main course is.

I did it once (and only once,) in Cagney's before they started charging.  Got the filet then got the shrimp.  In my defense, the volume of food of the shrimp entree wasn't overwhelming but was I honestly HUNGRY?  Um, no.... 😞

51 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do people really want to order (and eat) two entrees?  I'm no lightweight, but with appetizers and dessert, I'm stuffed regardless of what the main course is.

Exactly. I ordered a shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, baked potato and lettuce wedge. I was stuffed even before the steak got there! I don't know how anyone could eat a second entrée unless the person was in a food-eating competition. 😛

Our last cruise, we were seated near a couple in the MDR, not a specialty restaurant.  The woman ordered her dinner,  took a couple of bites, then said,  I don't like this, I'll try something else.  She must have done this three times.   She did it again with the dessert.   I know you can get whatever you want,  but it just seemed so wasteful.  The worse part,  she would snap her fingers at the waiter to call him over,  and tell him to take the food away because she didn't like it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

Our last cruise, we were seated near a couple in the MDR, not a specialty restaurant.  The woman ordered her dinner,  took a couple of bites, then said,  I don't like this, I'll try something else.  She must have done this three times.   She did it again with the dessert.   I know you can get whatever you want,  but it just seemed so wasteful.  The worse part,  she would snap her fingers at the waiter to call him over,  and tell him to take the food away because she didn't like it. 

And I’m sure she can tell people all about it in a way that suggests that she is somehow superior to you because she has the ability to have a miserable time whilst you, you ignorant fool, are left enjoying yourself because you aren’t as astute and discriminating as she is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I’ve heard mixed opinions about multiple appetizers.  For instance, if I got a Shrimp Cocktail and I also wanted something else (or a second shrimp cocktail, for that matter) would the extra be charged?

The mixed opinions tend to be between the people who ask the wait staff, and those that just order.

If you just order then you won’t be charged for multiples. Even when specifically asking on this forum for people who have actually been charged for multiples there were only a couple of people who claimed that they had been charged, and these looked like they were probably getting mixed up with the latitudes meal. Basically there are very few, or no, actual reports of being charged.

However, if you ask the wait staff then they seem to employ some sort of random answer machine they have on loan from the telephone staff so there is a very good chance that they will say you can only have one app or desert.

Regardless of what you are told, you almost certainly won’t be charged. Save the confusion by not asking. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fire Chief 2481 said:

i always thought there was a one entree limit. Apps and desserts have no limit. Has this changed? It looks like the bird's receipts all have two entrees,  for two guests.

Technically, you could order multiple entrees at restaurants other than Le Bistro and Cagney's where there is a explicated limit in the Terms and Conditions. We can barely eat one entree,,, because we like to sample the apps and sides.

The Bird is definitely not into proper dining manners at fine dining. Everything that comes to the table is share/sampled by both of us. We have had waiters (on that cruise) stop and say "What's wrong with the food" when they see us pushing plates across the table. We simply reply "tasting". 

• Like 1