Caribbean Cruises will need both negative PCR Test & to be fully vaccinated

Mrk2868

3 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I’m in a few social media groups for P&O and have read first hand accounts. Very mixed dependent on the airport.

Both Gatwick flights took off within 30 mins of scheduled departure time, with people saying the drive thru testing was quick and took 30 mins max. 

Both Manchester flights took off over an hour late (one was 1h40 late). People were saying the testing took over an hour, and check in was a nightmare. Some lady said by the time she had checked in it was time to go to the gate. 

A lot of people were saying that check in took so long as some people had not printed/filled out all the relevant documentation. The flights took off so late as it took so long to check everyone in. 

No mention of the bus situation at Gatwick, but I had read that some people were dropped off at the testing centre in a taxi and got the shuttle back.

We fly Christmas Day and are staying overnight before hand. We had booked parking for 15 nights, but the car park won’t let you exit and re-enter. So we have had to move hotels, use their parking for the 1 night and then drive to our parking next to the terminal. We tried to amend the parking into two bookings, but it was going to cost and extra £150. Absolute nightmare. 

However you look at it, it’s all very complicated and stressful.  

Onboard Britannia We have met 2 couples where one member of the party had not received their PCR test results by the time they got to check in.  Luckily in both cases they did finally receive the results but it was within 15 minutes of the gates being closed.  Not a good start to the holiday, especially as one person had paid a lot extra at the airport for Rapid PCR test only to be told that was not acceptable…  

On 11/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, wowzz said:

The rules are quite clear- you need to do a Day 2 test within two days of returning to the UK.

In defence of my fellow-Suffolkian who thought it meant 2 days before you get off the ship, if you look at your "it is quite clear" definition, what you have written can still be interpreted the way he did!

i.e. two days before you return.

For example "When crossing the Bay of Biscay we are within two days of returning to the U.K."

If only everyone talking about the rules had said "within two days after you have disembarked" there would have be no problem.

6 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

In defence of my fellow-Suffolkian who thought it meant 2 days before you get off the ship, if you look at your "it is quite clear" definition, what you have written can still be interpreted the way he did!

i.e. two days before you return.

For example "When crossing the Bay of Biscay we are within two days of returning to the U.K."

If only everyone talking about the rules had said "within two days after you have disembarked" there would have be no problem.

Fair point.

But there has been so much information disseminated about Day 2 testing in recent weeks, that I thought that it was fairly obvious as to when the two day period started.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I understand that the 2 days after arriving in the UK does not include the arrival day. Arrive on Saturday and you have Sunday and Monday to take the test.

Reasoning - You arrive at 11.55, 5 minutes before midnight ?

If folk read the rules on gov.uk, they are perfectly clear.

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

If folk read the rules on gov.uk, they are perfectly clear.

OK after several pages and false starts

When you arrive in England – fully vaccinated

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2. The day you arrive is day 0.

The rules are perfectly clear, if you can find them

35 minutes ago, davecttr said:

OK after several pages and false starts

When you arrive in England – fully vaccinated

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2. The day you arrive is day 0.

The rules are perfectly clear, if you can find them

At the top of page 1.

Move to lateral flow tests for travel begins today (24 October)

Fully vaccinated passengers and most under 18s arriving from non red-list countries can use a lateral flow test on or before day 2 of their arrival in England.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, Mrk2868 said:

Just been looking at the P&O Cruises web site - https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence  and discovered the following under the section entitled "For holidays to the Caribbean from 22 October 2021 - 27 March 2022"  

All guests on a Caribbean fly-cruise will also need to organise and pay for a private PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel.  This is in addition to a complimentary antigen test organised by P&O Cruises at the airport. 

I was under the impression that the only pre-departure testing be paid for by P&O.  This is was what happened on a recent Princess Cruises trip from Southampton.  Of course the Caribbean Fly Cruises start from an airport rather than a port, but even so I was not expecting to have fork out I guess £80 per person for yet more testing.  This is in addition to any testing required to return to the UK.

Looks like this change was only introduced yesterday 30 September.  I am surprised they have not emailed everyone who had a booking, as I suspect I'm not the only person not best pleased! 

Just watched the Olly Smith video and according to that if you are visiting the Caribbean you need to have a PCR test prior to sailing or flying. If this is the case then it's stupid. I can understand flights as these take hours. But sailing, when you visit Cadiz on the third day and then take another 6 days before you hit Bermuda. That's absolute nonsense. You could leave the UK negative and be positive by the time you reach the Caribbean. Just another case of fleecing the public to satisfy who ? I'm all for safeguarding myself, my wife and as many others I come into contact with. But it seems that all the Protocols in the World haven't arrested the transmission. We have had Jab 1, Jab 2, Jab Booster, Jab Flu and now I'm informed as I'm over 70, Jab Shingles. I will soon have more holes in me than a second hand dartboard. Now I'm expected to have a PCR test prior to sailing, a whatever test at the port and a LFT when I return home. I don't see many of the illegals trudging up the beaches with their negative test certificate in hand.

6 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Just watched the Olly Smith video and according to that if you are visiting the Caribbean you need to have a PCR test prior to sailing or flying. If this is the case then it's stupid. I can understand flights as these take hours. But sailing, when you visit Cadiz on the third day and then take another 6 days before you hit Bermuda. That's absolute nonsense. You could leave the UK negative and be positive by the time you reach the Caribbean. Just another case of fleecing the public to satisfy who ? I'm all for safeguarding myself, my wife and as many others I come into contact with. But it seems that all the Protocols in the World haven't arrested the transmission. We have had Jab 1, Jab 2, Jab Booster, Jab Flu and now I'm informed as I'm over 70, Jab Shingles. I will soon have more holes in me than a second hand dartboard. Now I'm expected to have a PCR test prior to sailing, a whatever test at the port and a LFT when I return home. I don't see many of the illegals trudging up the beaches with their negative test certificate in hand.

You only need a PCR test if flying.  So you objections are ill founded.

Hi.. Suggest you may want to forensically look at all my comments.... re our dispute with PandO over misinformation re PCR tests an shore excursions... and its impact on our cruise booking and cancellation terms... and Caribbean ports cancelling port visits because of covid. On balance, if you havent booked the cruise, I would advise you dont...  If you have and you double check on potential impacts on your port visits, like me you may decide to cancel... but try getting any information or contact with PandO customer service... !?

4 hours ago, sultan4swing said:

Hi.. Suggest you may want to forensically look at all my comments.... re our dispute with PandO over misinformation re PCR tests an shore excursions... and its impact on our cruise booking and cancellation terms... and Caribbean ports cancelling port visits because of covid. On balance, if you havent booked the cruise, I would advise you dont...  If you have and you double check on potential impacts on your port visits, like me you may decide to cancel... but try getting any information or contact with PandO customer service... !?

As is usual in most things commercial, what the FCO says is required and what the cruise lines can achieve by careful negotiation/blackmail are far apart. If the Islands want to retain cruise ship visits, then I imagine what P&O, or any other cruise line, states is required is more likely to be accurate, albeit subject to change at short notice, especially just before or after local elections.

There is no point cruise lines being able to negotiate differently to the information available to FCO, if you have been waiting for replies to various emails and letters from PandO, who wont communicate and certainly wont tell you whether they have exemptions or not.... Worth as I have checking on travellers recent customer service dealings with PandO...  Most are saying, either having been on, or taking a cruise, that customer service is appalling as we have, and like us are claiming a full refund.... The FCO advice is that for ALL MODES of travel from the UK., to all the islands on a PandO cruise, for entry you have to have a PCR test for each island before travel, and 2 islands require initial quarantine....  The fact that current PandO travel customer confidence seems about zero, and The FCO website, whatever anyone thinks, is the only definitive source of uptodate travel requirements from the UK... And as PandO are prepared to answer any of my questions on this after 4 weeks... says it all. Several reviewers have like me, wished they had never booked.... as the re was no customer service and no confidence in them or their honesty on legitimate issues.... If PandO have exemptions, why wont they say so..... ??? Nothing I've seen suggests any cruise company has exemptions..  In fact friends have confirmed yesterday that Caribbean islands for a current Caribbean cruise are not allowing passengers ashore because of covid.... along with on board PCR testing questions.... this is looking even worse for cruises visiting a number of islands or different countries.... I'm a career research analyst and having spent the last 12 years researching travel and travelling personally, in depth, I know when I am being shafted by PandO, as others are ... But if anyone still wants to cruise with them..... good luck.....  on a major review site.. they have a rating of about 1.5/5... and have not responded to critical reviews in over a year, and have not updated their profile...... Basically, a cruise around a single country not subject to pre PCR testing is fine, any other cruise...... ???????.....nuff... said....

PS.......  PLEASE NOTE.....  The PCR test you have to take 48-72 hours before flying to Barbados is only relevant to if you are staying in Barbados..... Until any cruise line confirms it has any exemption, and none has or will....  please please read my posts above...  I know what I am talking about..... If you are staying in one country then the pre flight PCR test is sufficient... If you will be staying in or travelling between more than one country, or Caribbean islands, you will have to arrange further PCR tests if required for all the countries visited.... that's it ...fact.... whatever slant the cruise companies give to make you book a cruise and/or book excursions in advance..... For pity's sake.... anyone considering any holiday, especially a cruise, please read and take on board the latest FCO advice for any country, that is the definitive up to date information ...

On 11/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, wowzz said:

You only need a PCR test if flying.  So you objections are ill founded.

Apparently my objections are not "ill founded" Barbados requires those visiting to have had a PCR test five days prior to arrival as does it seems the Bahamas. P&O apparently do these tests onboard at a charge of £25 per person. 

2 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Apparently my objections are not "ill founded" Barbados requires those visiting to have had a PCR test five days prior to arrival as does it seems the Bahamas. P&O apparently do these tests onboard at a charge of £25 per person. 

Apologies- I had forgotten about Barbados entry requirements. 

Trustpilot has a PandO customer service rating of 1.5/5.....  says everything... My experience of the last 2 months since booking has borne this out.. Potential cruisers with PandO need to check out Trustpilot customer comments, including mine, to see what problems I have had trying to get information on priority elements of our cruise - ie PCR testing - how will they guarantee all passengers going ashore will get a negative test result in time... and more importantly, only admitting in the last 2 days that ALL Caribbean ports of call will need a PCR test. Ive been trying to get them to admit this for a couple of months .... Because we have no confidence in PandO customer service and transparency on how the shore excursion PCR test logistics can possibly work, we have been forced to cancel  we didnt want to but had no choice... The problem has been caused by PandO, but to get any refund, in this case, we under their conditions, have to accept a loss of 50pc of payment..  There is no provision for any waivers if caused by PandO.... but you can be sure we are pursuing all possible refund options..!!

We have done 24 ocean/river cruises.... and all have been terrific. We have never had the sort of issues we have had with PandO... We will never book any cruise with PandO again, and would advise any potential customer for a Caribbean or any cruise with multiple country visits , to look at how PCR entry rules, may impact on ones ability to go ashore. The only cruise that seems viable to me is either a single country cruise with no PCR entry rules, or a multi country cruise with no PCR issues....  Any Caribbean cruise ... in my view, forget it, especially if port visits are  a priority as they are with us.... each island is considered a separate coiuntry.   We are currently pursuing PandO for a fair refund... on current experience....  ???!!!?? To anyone - be careful - PandO are very good at getting you to book a cruise and shore excursions, but any other information - accept with a 3week plus reply delay - and accurate and honest information......  forget it.....  CAVE EMPTOR...!!!!  

Are you saying that the A-Z list of port requirements is incorrect? Looking at it just now, for the ports we are visiting on our 4th of December cruise, it only shows Barbados as requiring a PCR positive test. Others show a requirement for positive Antigen test and some show no requirement at all. We have been to the Caribbean several times and have visited all the ports of call previously. For us personally, we may get off the ship at the 4 ports where no Antigen test is required, but equally we are happy to stay on board enjoying the sunshine and the facilities on board. I know P & O are not perfect but we have never had a bad cruise with them and most of them have been great. 

6 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Are you saying that the A-Z list of port requirements is incorrect? Looking at it just now, for the ports we are visiting on our 4th of December cruise, it only shows Barbados as requiring a PCR positive test. Others show a requirement for positive Antigen test and some show no requirement at all. We have been to the Caribbean several times and have visited all the ports of call previously. For us personally, we may get off the ship at the 4 ports where no Antigen test is required, but equally we are happy to stay on board enjoying the sunshine and the facilities on board. I know P & O are not perfect but we have never had a bad cruise with them and most of them have been great. 

S4S has repeatedly been posting about FCO data not agreeing with P&O and warning anyone who will listen to beware, so far his predictions of major problems have proved to be untrue.

I leave it to your own judgement to decide who is correct.

Are you saying that P&O have confirmed to you that a PCR test is required at every port? 

P&O have stated to me in conversation that on the 17 December cruise a family member is taking they will require only 3 lateral flow tests for Barbados, St Vincent, and Grenada. On top of this is the private PCR test 72 hours before the flight and the day 2 lateral flow.

I agree checking the UK Government website that all individual countries bar St Maarten indicate PCR tests if arriving by air.  However these all mention 72 hour tests so even if the worst were to happen surely it would not be a test in every port as the islands are visited in blocks.

There are people here on the boards who have travelled on the transatlantic and the following cruise. If they had been forced to pay for all these PCR tests I'm sure they would rightly be shouting about the requirements? Perhaps a returned Caribbean traveller could let us know what tests they had ?

Edited by Megabear2
Added

On 11/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, Jennizor said:

All I could get out of P&O was that a PCR test was required for Barbados. Strange as we are not going to Barbados. First Port of call is Bermuda and then The Bahamas. I am just assuming a PCR test will be required 3 days before Bermuda at a cost of £25 per person. If any more are required they can forget it. I'm not made of money and as has been said P&O either don't know or are being very vague with regards to these tests.

Jennizor - "Looking at it just now, for the ports we are visiting on our 4th of December cruise, it only shows Barbados as requiring a PCR positive test. Others show a requirement for positive Antigen test"

I hope you did not mean that everyone has to test positive!