Odd or no logic

Snibs

Was due to go to the Caribbean this coming Feb half term with children not yet 12 so would not be vaccinated. Had the email to say due to the revised policy P&O were cancelling it. (Quite happy about that as was going to transfer it anyway but now with +25% FCC).

So using some previous FCC and the new went to book a cruise on Azura in Feb half term 23 via a TA. Could either fly out the Fri or Sat. Started the booking for Sat and during it the computer said no. Issue with the children’s age groups being full. Tried the Friday - fine. TA did speak to them and explained but still no to Sat. This logic escapes me - how can they be on the ship Fri - Fri, but not Sat - Sat, especially when only at sea Sat - Fri? 

Then when it came to using the FCC, P&O allocated more to the children then the adults. Therefore when using it the adults allocation got all used up but as the children’s fares were less then “their” FCC, so they still have excess FCC and the TA now has to make a special call to P&O to get  the remaining FCC allocated to the adults going.

Logic and common sense don’t seem to apply to these issues? What other simple things do they struggle with? (Apart from the obvious IT - just had an email about starting to plan for my upcoming Caribbean holiday they cancelled last week - doh!)

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but never having cruised with children I have to ask if it is normal for children to be limited pre-covid or is this P&O anticipating the restrictions still being in place 16 months from now?  I find that idea rather alarming if it is due to Covid restrictions.

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but never having cruised with children I have to ask if it is normal for children to be limited pre-covid or is this P&O anticipating the restrictions still being in place 16 months from now?  I find that idea rather alarming if it is due to Covid restrictions.

No it’s not a post COVID issue - had it before too. Seems to be down to the numbers allowed in each kids club group - but your not guaranteed a space.Have tried asking before and not got a straight forward answer. Their ship and their rules  but wouldn’t mind knowing their reason. 

2 hours ago, Snibs said:

So using some previous FCC and the new went to book a cruise on Azura in Feb half term 23 via a TA. Could either fly out the Fri or Sat. Started the booking for Sat and during it the computer said no. Issue with the children’s age groups being full. Tried the Friday - fine. TA did speak to them and explained but still no to Sat. This logic escapes me - how can they be on the ship Fri - Fri, but not Sat - Sat, especially when only at sea Sat - Fri? 

I think it is due to an excessively high number of the relevant children's age group already booked on the cruise after yours who will be boarding the day before your cruise would end.  You therefore need to to leave before this high total happens and therefore need to disembark on the Friday as being on board on the Saturday might cause excess children on the one day. On a Friday to Friday booking the children will be in unison without a numbers peak for their first Saturday.  It is only too many children for the one day but the computer may just reject the booking on this basis.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

John, I get that but seems a bit odd as it’s half term the week we have booked (albeit not for all schools) and would have thought the Saturday would be more popular for families as not missing a school day (like we are now having to do). But as you say for one day in port the computer says no.

3 minutes ago, Snibs said:

John, I get that but seems a bit odd as it’s half term the week we have booked (albeit not for all schools) and would have thought the Saturday would be more popular for families as not missing a school day (like we are now having to do). But as you say for one day in port the computer says no.

Presumably it depends on how many children/age group are on the ship at any one time, and when they fly in or out.

9 hours ago, Snibs said:

In my opinion P&O have never got the marketing strategy right in relation to school children.  I escaped the dilemma two years ago as my daughter left school.  I can remember trying to book completely within short school holidays and found P&O typically were offering fortnight voyages at that time and at best seven day voyages that started two days too early or finished too late.  It has always struck me that if they mastered the issue their revenue would increase a lot.  In order to comply exactly with the rules I ended up booking up a wide range of odd cruises with other cruise lines.

Regards John

Cruising the Caribbean and sailing out of US ports has become a bit awkward with the US government and state laws restricting this.  US citizens were almost never offered P&O as no agents proffer them. However P&O noticed a niche market about two years ago for American citizens who want to sail with P&O.  There is a website specifically for Americans called poamericas.com where the same P&O cruises are offered in US Dollars with all contacts in the US.  I am wondering if their schools have different breaks and people are booking family holidays flying out of the US independently to reach P&O embarkation ports in the Caribbean thus not sailing out of the US.

Regards John

Edited by john watson