American queen Train wreck

JJGOLD

After canceling a Viking river rhine cruise due to potential Covid restrictions we booked a last minute trip on the American Queen.  It s nice ship that is in mediocre condition, but overall very cool, until we went to dinner on the first night.  Had 5:15 early seating and at 6:45 still no salad or dinner.  I understand that staffing is an issue, but at 6:45 our waitress asked us what we ordered.  Really?  Dinner finally came and it was just terrible.  This is the first day of a very expensive cruise and we really want to support an American ship and crew, but they just don’t have it together…such a shame.  I’ll report back in a few days   

22 minutes ago, JJGOLD said:

After canceling a Viking river rhine cruise due to potential Covid restrictions we booked a last minute trip on the American Queen.  It s nice ship that is in mediocre condition, but overall very cool, until we went to dinner on the first night.  Had 5:15 early seating and at 6:45 still no salad or dinner.  I understand that staffing is an issue, but at 6:45 our waitress asked us what we ordered.  Really?  Dinner finally came and it was just terrible.  This is the first day of a very expensive cruise and we really want to support an American ship and crew, but they just don’t have it together…such a shame.  I’ll report back in a few days   

Please keep posting. We got off the Queen on the 27th in Tunica after an extremely difficult week featuring mechanical issues, COVID-19, missed ports, and extremely poor communication from the ship’s officers. Ironically, the one bright spot for us was the food. Looks like that is now messed up as well. 

3 hours ago, JJGOLD said:

I agree that my title was a bit harsh this early on. Frncie’s trip may have been a better fit! 

Indeed. I see from cruisemapper that you are at Nottoway. It sounds lovely. Enjoy! (Our cruise bypassed it in the middle of the night trying to make up time.)

After a few days on board the queen, I’ve come to realize the overall root problem is lack of experienced staff.  There are quite a few waitstaff that have never worked in a restaurant or ship.   They have great attitudes but just lack any training.  I heard that many of the kitchen staff are also new and inexperienced which is resulting in some very long waits during dining times.  Unfortunately some guests are taking it out on the new service staff.  After the first dinner service, the management stepped up and started working with the other staff to move things along.  They are trying!

• Like 2

We left very late from Vicksburg due to mechanical issues and outside repair men on board until late and and to had to skip Greensville due to low water.  We can’t get to Memphis doe to the low water either.  We were going to have a day in Tunica, but that’s not happening due to the late departure on Friday from Vicksburg.  They planned some decent activities for the river day on Saturday, but very little on Sunday.  They have to bus everyone to Memphis for departure early Monday morning.  Dining room service has been slow and we heard they did all dinners buffet style the week before due to staff issues.  The menus seem to change from what they post at lunch by the time dinner time comes.  Seems to be a lot of beef!   The front porch has had a prime rib buffet every night with another dish or two if you want to skip the main dining room. Lots of men wearing shorts at dinner and the staff does not seem to mind as they have so many other things to deal with. Most of food has been good, not great and some menus very limited.  Bar drinks have been included except for a small up charge for a few premium brands.  As I said earlier in the trip, they have a staffing shortage and lack of training for the new hires.  They are trying, but don’t set your expectations too high. There are a few of the staff that truly stand out.  

• Like 1

Just curious: What were the planned activities in Tunica?

I continue to wonder about the reason the Queen stays in Tunica instead of going upriver to Memphis. For us, it seemed possible that mechanical issues were at least part of the reason. And you mentioned mechanical issues again this week. 

By the way, I see that the American Duchess is docked in Memphis right now.