Flights to LAX - NW or Southwest

wrp96

For about the same price, I have the choice of flights on Northwest getting in at 11am for a 5pm Friday cruise and leaving at 3pm on Monday OR Southwest getting in at 12:10 and leaving at 3:15pm.

I'm leaning towards Northwest because it gives me an extra hour to get to the pier. I will be traveling with carry-on luggage only so there won't be an baggage to worry about. Does anybody have any specific comments on which one would be better?

Also, getting to the pier. If it happens, my brother will be sailing with me, coming up from San Diego. Would it be better to have him pick me up and go to the pier together or for me to find some other way to get to the pier (and if so, suggestions)?

For the same price, I would probably go with Northwest, get an assigned seat and an extra hour. Double check if you have connections and layovers, though. I would pick NS or direct over a change of planes. Lastly, check the on time arrival of those flights.

Brother will have to double back down the 405 to pick you up at LAX and then get you to the pier. If he does not mind the time and traffic, then he could pick you up. Otherwise, you would need to take the shuttle, about $28 plus tip to the pier. Multi-passenger van, may make extra stops on the way. Typically about 45 min to hour trip. Supershuttle or primetime shuttle.

Southwest does not fly into LAX! You are dealing with two different airports.

You are wrong. Not only do they fly into LAX, it is one of there busiest destinations. Do you not watch Airline?

I went with Northwest anyways. I was able to get an even less expensive fare through them.

We flew NW into LAX and it was fine. I found their fares from Detroit cheaper than even SW, and they had non-stops, which I know doesn't apply to your situation. I would suggest you just take Supershuttle or a cab to the pier instead of having your brother come and get you. We were only 20 minutes to the pier, although that was a Saturday and there were no accidents. Mid-day Friday could very well be a different story.

Archived