Covid on Iona

Cathygh

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

I'm a bit worried but I am going to cruise in December. Why? Well just because I want to. My husband, one of my brothers, my mum all died young. I could sit here on my own as I have done for over 2 years or I could just go do something I love. I know the risks (I was a doctor) but the way I travel it seems OK for me so I am going.

Well said.

I do wonder if all these people who are in doubt about cruising have actually considered the statistical risk of being evacuated off a ship with covid or being suspected of covid, rather than concentrating on the 'what ifs' should that happen.

Enough cruises will have sailed by now to more accurately assess the (very) slim chances.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What's the difference about couped up in cabin on board ships, against being couped up in a hotel room. If you are isolating you would not be allowed out of either, and would need to have all your meals in the room. If the quarantine cabin had a balcony then I know which I would prefer.

I do not know what the situation is in various EU countries regards having had contact with someone who tests positive.  If you do, I would be interested if you could fill me in on that.  I do know that if we were disembarked into the UK there is no need to isolate anywhere if you have been fully vaccinated and come into contact with someone who tests positive, unless you subsequently develop the disease yourself.  I also do not see why it would have to be a hotel, probably a lot easier to go into a self catering apartment IMO and have food delivered.  A hotel room, if it were needed would be way superior in terms of space and space on a balcony than any ship's cabin we would book and at a far cheaper price.  Also you could turn the AC off or leave a balcony door open at night.  Better still could book somewhere that does not have AC, which in the winter would be far preferable to us.  Also land tends to be a lot more stable than the sea.

If we test negative I also do not see why we cannot fly home, I am sure many people will have been in contact with others who test positive as covid is endemic in the population now.  Again, perhaps you have knowledge of all the rules which are in place in all ports visited by cruise ships, in which case I would in fact be very interested in that if you would be prepared to provide those details. 

A read a while back of US passengers from a Viking cruise in Iceland who had been in contact with a passenger who tested positive,  had decided to fly home, rather then isolate on the ship for the rest of their cruise.  That sounds a far better option to me.

Edited by tring

I’ve read through this whole thread now and it’s been a fascinating read! We have been on two staycation cruises this year and have another next week. We have also booked to fly to Barcelona and go for a week around the Med in January. 
I went through all kinds of mind-changes while reading through the thread but feel I relate to ccpm’s post the most. 
We have been through several losses over the past few years and intend to continue to enjoy our travels while keeping as safe as we can as individuals. 
I know so many people who can no longer travel or are limited in what they can do and have decided to live life to the full while I can! 

• Like 4

I have read all the comments on this thread and am as confused now as when I started. All points made are perfectly valid ones.

My dilemma is that I have a February 2022 cruise booked to the USA and Caribbean which needs the balance paying imminently and it’s obviously not an inconsequential amount of money. 
At today’s date, we are not allowed into the USA, although Biden has stated November, there is no confirmed date.The other issue is that of being off loaded in America if contracting COVID. Part of me says “sod it, it is what it is” as we’re not getting any younger, the other part is slightly terrified! 
Cunard have reduced their balance die dates for Spring cruises to 30 days. I so wish P&O would do the same as by then we’d have some insight into how things are. 
Confused.com!! 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cristaltips said:

I have read all the comments on this thread and am as confused now as when I started. All points made are perfectly valid ones.

My dilemma is that I have a February 2022 cruise booked to the USA and Caribbean which needs the balance paying imminently and it’s obviously not an inconsequential amount of money. 
At today’s date, we are not allowed into the USA, although Biden has stated November, there is no confirmed date.The other issue is that of being off loaded in America if contracting COVID. Part of me says “sod it, it is what it is” as we’re not getting any younger, the other part is slightly terrified! 
Cunard have reduced their balance die dates for Spring cruises to 30 days. I so wish P&O would do the same as by then we’d have some insight into how things are. 
Confused.com!! 😂

If in any doubt just move it to a later cruise. My understanding is that you can keep moving for now.

3 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

Confused.com!! 😂

A friend from Canada had to quarantine in a US hotel.  She said it was the worst place she had ever seen.

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Try not to worry too much, as things are changing all the time.

If things carry on as they are now, you’ll probably have the opportunity to move the cruise forward to a later date without any penalty. At the very worst, if you cancelled completely before the final payment date, you’d just lose your deposit - as deposits are quite small these days, taking a hit on a couple of hundred pounds for the sake of peace of mind would be a reasonable price to pay. But plenty of time to go, so no need to do anything now. 

Thank you so much for your kind words. 

Our planned cruise is actually with Cunard and we have paid a pretty substantial deposit unfortunately but hopefully we would be able to move it further ahead if things still look worrying when we come to final payment. 

I am not sure my partner would be as keen as me to cancel if things are still up in the air (no pun intended).  He is a more optimistic character than I am.   Could be a bit of a fight if it comes to losing our deposit. 

Still as you say things are constantly changing so there's no point in worrying about it now.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this board and its brothers including Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements - How many and what cost? exist purely because P&O decided they would not/did not want to be upfront on their protocols and stubborn refusal to budge to 30 day payment terms on the Caribbean itineraries. 

They either didn't appreciate the anxiety some would feel when they published them or just thought to hell with it, we've got your money, now lump it.  I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the first.

The two ladies worried about their long Caribbean voyages appear not to have paid yet and have the option still of lift and shift. If they aren't happy they should talk to the cruise company involved and express their worries.

To Cabinet I do understand about the money, I believe 15% deposit on the Cunard cruise was required at booking. You will however now have until 30 days before sailing to pay your balance and also have the option to move your deposit to something else. All is a long way from lost for you, so sit tight and see what happens until nearer the time.

3 hours ago, tring said:

I can clarify something here.  Fred has a system that people can be put on shared tables for evening meals, which are set seating and that group if people become a "bubble".  They are then allowed to go to other venues, restaurants, theatre, quizz etc. on the ship and sit closely together in that bubble.  Hence those people are equivalent to family bubbles, etc. rather than just table companions. Some people wish that to happen so they can have companionship on board.  We have asked for tables for two on Fred as we have with a forthcoming Princess cruise, where we have had to book each evening meal individually.

Another point is that if we, personally, had been asked to isolate because of contact with others, we would much prefer to go ashore and stay in a hotel rather than be coupled up in a ship's cabin, or if we test negative could quite possibly travel home, certainly if within the UK.  Hence I do wonder if the people concerned also chose to leave the ship, rather than be put in quarantine, couped up in a cabin on the ship. 

Stories like this, with limited first hand information provided, take no time at all to have the chicken licken effect.

It's hardly chicken licken to provide information about scenarios that people may not have considered previously, to enable them to consider all factors when they are making their decisions. After all, the cruise companies are tight lipped about everything, so it's up to us to share information.

In this case, it seems that the person's decision to join a bubble caused them to be classed as a close contact of a person who  tested positive, and ultimately resulted in them being offloaded from the ship.  Don't people need to know this sort of information.

Regarding the offloading, I tend to think they didn't have a choice in the matter.  But that is conjecture on both our parts 

15 minutes ago, CABINET said:

Thank you so much for your kind words. 

Our planned cruise is actually with Cunard and we have paid a pretty substantial deposit unfortunately but hopefully we would be able to move it further ahead if things still look worrying when we come to final payment. 

I am not sure my partner would be as keen as me to cancel if things are still up in the air (no pun intended).  He is a more optimistic character than I am.   Could be a bit of a fight if it comes to losing our deposit. 

Still as you say things are constantly changing so there's no point in worrying about it now.

I know exactly what you mean - Both my remaining cruises were 'big' cruises, with big deposits to match.  I've now moved the cruises to smaller cruises at later dates, but Carnival are still sitting on quite a large amount of my money!

My next cruise is a Cunard cruise next May.- and the original deposit was a 4 figure sum, so very difficult to walk away from. It's a British Isles cruise and my current feeling is to bite the bullet and go on the cruise, but will do a list of pros and cons when its time to pay they final balance. 

1 hour ago, Son of Bare said:

Well said.

I do wonder if all these people who are in doubt about cruising have actually considered the statistical risk of being evacuated off a ship with covid or being suspected of covid, rather than concentrating on the 'what ifs' should that happen.

Enough cruises will have sailed by now to more accurately assess the (very) slim chances.

Yes. I think most would acknowledge that the risk of contracting it is low if you’re careful.

But the consequences of getting it whilst on a cruise are significant. 

Whether it’s “worth it” or not is an individual judgement. 

And the choice isn’t between staying at home and going on a cruise. It’s just that cruises are inherently more risky than most other holiday options. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Have we actually had confirmation of this rumour about Fred's passengers in Madeira? I've searched and can find nothing.

I haven't seen anything anywhere else. I would provide a link to the original message, but I don't think I'm allowed to do this. 

10 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Yes. I think most would acknowledge that the risk of contracting it is low if you’re careful.

But the consequences of getting it whilst on a cruise are significant. 

Whether it’s “worth it” or not is an individual judgement. 

And the choice isn’t between staying at home and going on a cruise. It’s just that cruises are inherently more risky than most other holiday options. 

Do you think they are inherently more risky once the passenger demographic has also been taken into account?

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, you only have to read the earlier comments from those who say they would wing it and avoid tests. If there's nothing to worry about why would they be do reluctant to be tested before/after going ashore?

Because they are less worried about their health than their bank balances I would imagine.

Given the age of an average cruise passenger will be considerably greater than the average holidaymaker are cruise ships actually inherently anymore risky than hotels, was my pointed question.

14 minutes ago, Son of Bare said:

Because they are less worried about their health than their bank balances I would imagine.

Given the age of an average cruise passenger will be considerably greater than the average holidaymaker are cruise ships actually inherently anymore risky than hotels, was my pointed question.

You’ve missed my point. 

While I appreciate the chances are small I don’t want to be offloaded halfway through my holiday because of a positive COVID test. Nor anyone I’m travelling with. 

That’s what I meant by “risky”. Just not worth the hassle at the moment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tring said:

I do not know what the situation is in various EU countries regards having had contact with someone who tests positive.  If you do, I would be interested if you could fill me in on that.  I do know that if we were disembarked into the UK there is no need to isolate anywhere if you have been fully vaccinated and come into contact with someone who tests positive, unless you subsequently develop the disease yourself.  I also do not see why it would have to be a hotel, probably a lot easier to go into a self catering apartment IMO and have food delivered.  A hotel room, if it were needed would be way superior in terms of space and space on a balcony than any ship's cabin we would book and at a far cheaper price.  Also you could turn the AC off or leave a balcony door open at night.  Better still could book somewhere that does not have AC, which in the winter would be far preferable to us.  Also land tends to be a lot more stable than the sea.

In the Iona case it was a positive case passenger who was disembarked, allegedly on the insistence of Cadiz port authorities, and he/she was sent to a quarantine hotel along with their travelling companion. No further information seems to be available, but the assumption was that the infected passenger would require a negative test before they were allowed to leave, and of course it's quite possible that could be lengthy, especially if their companion then tested positive and similarly would need a negative test to "escape"!!!

I hope this doesn't break the rules.

On the social media site with the blue bird, see posts by user @Jon41287916Max 

He is the person who reported being offloaded at Funchal due to being a close contact of someone who tested positive.

He is reporting his experiences. It sounds pretty grim

• Like 2

I've been following this thread with interest and I sympathise with the very real concerns and worries that people have and also with the cruise companies who are trying to restart cruising against a backdrop of continuing changes to guidance and requirements.

We were very close to booking a Canaries cruise on Iona in February but having read that people are being offloaded to quarantine on shore has changed the game for us completely as one of our party refuses to fly. The prospect of potentially being left behind is a stress that you just don't need on holiday!

We will cruise again but only once the incidence of the virus has reduced substantially.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In the Iona case it was a positive case passenger who was disembarked, allegedly on the insistence of Cadiz port authorities, and he/she was sent to a quarantine hotel along with their travelling companion. No further information seems to be available, but the assumption was that the infected passenger would require a negative test before they were allowed to leave, and of course it's quite possible that could be lengthy, especially if their companion then tested positive and similarly would need a negative test to "escape"!!!

I see absolutely no relationship between the Iona case and the quote of mine which you responded to, or indeed the post to which my quoted post was made in response to in the first instance.

2 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

I’ve read through this whole thread now and it’s been a fascinating read! We have been on two staycation cruises this year and have another next week. We have also booked to fly to Barcelona and go for a week around the Med in January. 
I went through all kinds of mind-changes while reading through the thread but feel I relate to ccpm’s post the most. 
We have been through several losses over the past few years and intend to continue to enjoy our travels while keeping as safe as we can as individuals. 
I know so many people who can no longer travel or are limited in what they can do and have decided to live life to the full while I can! 

It's hard to enjoy anything when needed to go through all obstacles, restrictions, and limitations in order to just reach the beginning point of a cruise (or whatever else) and then to constantly worry of so to speak false positive tests and bla-bla-bla during a vacation and toward the end of it.  How to "convert" non-stop stress (furiously generated by strangers beyond of what a person has control of) to enjoyment?  That's the question.