MSC I am not your bank!!

rochelle_s

In January of 2020 I booked a cruise for myself, my mom and two aunts. We were to visit Japan in October 2020 aboard the Bellissima. A few months later as the pandemic hit hard we became concerned and we were able to reschedule for pretty much the same cruise for October 2021. Due to our concerns and some underlying health conditions with a couple of my relatives we felt that the exclusivity of the Yacht Club might be a better fit for our group as we would be away from any larger crowds of people. I was able to upgrade us all to the Yacht Club and paid in full at that time.

In January 2021 I was no longer able to view our particular cruise on the MSC website (Canadian or US). I was also not able to view my reservation anywhere online. I posted about this here on Cruise Critic. 

On multiple occasions I contacted MSC about this and was told the executive offices were working on this particular sailing.  I repeatedly mentioned to the reps I spoke to that I would understand completely if the cruise was cancelled given what was going on in the world. I was told it was showing in their system and that it was not cancelled. The only sailing I could see online for the Bellissima in Japan was for the following month. I asked about changing to this date, but although there was availability for the cruise there was no room in the Yacht Club. As the cruise got closer I explained as Japan is on the other side of the world I would need time to make arrangements for flights and accommodations etc, and that these were things we would not want to leave till the last minute especially given the distance to be travelled. 

After my repeated calls and several months went by I finally received an email on June 23, 2021;

Dear Rochelle XXXXX,

We hereby want to share with you an important update concerning your upcoming cruise on MSC Bellissima sailing on 10/23/2021. Considering the current situation and the specific measures adopted by many countries to face the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, we are sorry to inform you that your reservation for the above-mentioned cruise had to be cancelled.

The refund will be processed as soon as possible. However, it may suffer some delays due to the extraordinary circumstances resulting from COVID-19 and the specific credit card circuit. For any own expenses incurred, you should contact your travel agent or directly the provider of the service.

We trust in your understanding of the great efforts we’re making to face the delicate moment tourism is going through and take this occasion to wish, once again, to welcome you back onboard one of our ships.

I once again contacted MSC and asked for clarification on what exactly was meant by ‘specific credit card circuit’ and when I could expect my refund. At this point I was told this could take 30 days to be processed and possibly another 60 days till the refund showed up on my credit card.  I expressed  to the rep that I felt this was unacceptable but resigned myself to the idea that I would just have to wait.

Today marks 104 days since I was notified my cruise was cancelled and still no refund to my credit card. Once again I get on the phone with MSC and I give the rep my booking number. After looking up my booking he says, “ This cruise has been cancelled” as if I was not aware that the trip I was planning on leaving for in one weeks time was not to be! “Yes” I said , “and I would like to know where my money is!”

The rep takes some time and comes back to me and says “the refund was processed on September 27th and it could take another 60 days until you see the refund show up on your credit card.” Once again I express my dissatisfaction with this answer and that this is completely unacceptable, as I was told the exact same thing 3 1/2 months ago. I request to escalate this to a higher level. Apparently I can not actually be reconnected to someone at a higher level but he has sent off a message to look into the possibility of ‘speeding up’ my refund. I told him I would like to speak to someone directly. Supposedly another message has been sent for a manager to call me, which could take 24 hours to happen.

I will try and be patient but to be honest my patience is running thin.  I have tried to be understanding about how difficult this all must be for the Cruise Lines. This is not my only cruise to be cancelled as I have had others cancelled on two other lines, but none have given me the run around that I have been experiencing with MSC. I can understand the Cruise Lines having issues with cash flow and why I was more than happy to just rebook to future cruises with the other lines often with a little incentive from them for the inconveniences. I even have future credit with a couple of airlines.

MSC offered me nothing. 

The only thing I was told was that I was to receive a refund…..which I am still waiting for months later and am told today will likely take a couple more. To a lot of people a fully paid Yacht Club booking might be a lot of money and to a big company like MSC one persons bookings is just peanuts….a single drop in the bucket. But if that big company keeps all those little drops … that bucket is soon almost filled to the brim. 

MSC I AM NOT YOUR BANK!

I, in good faith, paid for my cruise in full. I expect you to act in good faith as well and return my money to me. 

There are no extraordinary COVID circumstances that prevent you from doing so. A ‘specific credit card circuit’ is just made up gobbledygook to put off the consumer for a little while more, and in this case a long while more.  If I owed MSC money my credit card would be charged instantaneously. A refund should take no more than 24 hours…it is after all just a couple of key strokes. It certainly could be accomplished quicker than it took to compose this message.

We have never sailed MSC. We were really looking forward to trying out this Cruise Line. We were excited to cruise on what appears to be a beautiful ship (Bellissima) and experiencing what was to be offered in the Yacht Club. As it stands now it is unlikely we would book with MSC any time soon. For now we will stick with cruise lines that act with integrity in their business practices and who treat their customers with respect.

I do hope they make this situation right soon, not only for myself but anyone else experiencing any type of run around.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s
  • Like 2

• rochelle_s changed the title to MSC I am not your bank!!

I agree it’s unacceptable. 
Have you tried contacting your credit card company to see if they can do anything?

It certainly seems like MSC may be having a cash flow problem. 

Our friends were supposed to come with us on Divina 11/14 but they’re older and they have some underlying health issues so they decided to cancel. 

They had their refund in 5 days. (Was a couple thousand dollars) Chase Bank. 

I guess they were lucky. 

I hope you get your refund soon. I think the fact that it’s showing it was processed on the 27th is a positive sign 🤞

I don't believe that the slow refund is due to cash flow problems, but due to incompetence from their IT staff. I booked an excursion and they double billed us for it.  I waited 70 minutes on hold to talk to someone.  I finally got through, explained the problem, and they said "no problem, we will refund your money in 6 months".  WHAT!!! this was your mistake and I am going to have to wait 6 months to get my money back????

14 hours ago, styles27 said:

I agree it’s unacceptable. 
Have you tried contacting your credit card company to see if they can do anything?

I agree, I would contact your credit card company now and explain the situation and see what they recommend. In the absolute worst case scenario you can have your credit card company dispute the charge which you will obviously win since you received no goods or service, and MSC agreed that you should be refunded.

Edited by MacMarauder
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

I agree, I would contact your credit card company now and explain the situation and see what they recommend. In the absolute worst case scenario you can have your credit card company dispute the charge which you will obviously win since you received no goods or service, and MSC agreed that you should be refunded.

Great suggestion…but unfortunately will likely not work in my case. There is usually a time limit in which to dispute a charge and on this  credit card it is 180 days. This trip was booked 22 months ago and even the upgrade and payment for the Yacht Club upgrade was well over a year ago.

Rochelle

2 hours ago, rochelle_s said:

Great suggestion…but unfortunately will likely not work in my case. There is usually a time limit in which to dispute a charge and on this  credit card it is 180 days. This trip was booked 22 months ago and even the upgrade and payment for the Yacht Club upgrade was well over a year ago.

While this is a typical credit card rule, many credit cards nonetheless are investigating and granting chargebacks to the vendor and credits to their customers. It's worth a try.

MSC has to have one of the, if not the, worst back-end system in place of all cruise lines.  We are locked into a booking - actually on Bellissima - but we can't change rooms, can't upgrade, can't change dates, can't book any excursions, because of an 'IT issue'.  We have been waiting almost a month for this to be resolved.

One avenue to explore is to take it up with TICO - the Travel Industry Council of Ontario - where you seem to be based and of which MSC is a member.  They have a system of filing complaints and also a travel compensation fund in place.

Edited by intr3pid

• 3 months later...

I agree that it might be worth your while to dispute the charge with the card issuing bank.  It's like my mom used to say, "The worst they can so is no, the absolute worst they can say is, 'hell, no!'"  Good luck and keep us posted.