Hubbard Glacier Question

I'm sailing on the Serenade to Alaska in July. I'm trying to find someone who has sailed past Hubbard Glacier to find out if I can see it completely from my cabin balcony (Deck 7 starboard) or do I have to go up a few decks to see it in entirety because of it's height. Does anyone know? Also, if I see it from my balcony, will I be able to hear any descriptions that the crew may make as we pass by? Does the crew or capton announce a description of it as we pass?

We were at Hubbard Glacier this past May and it was awesome. The Captain slowly moved the ship around several times so that all sides could view the glacier up close. We were there for more than two hours. The naturalist on board did some narrative that I think might be heard through the public address system, but we were all out on deck and didn't really hear anything except the calving (like thunder) and it was magnificent. I believe you can see well from any balcony. We were up top and my hubby was snapping photos as fast as he could to try and catch the pieces as they were breaking off. The icy "blue" of the glacier was spectacular. You will really enjoy the Alaska cruise.

Carolyn

We were at Hubbard Glacier last May. We had a balcony on the 7th deck. After the first few minutes fighting with the hoards on deck we realized we had paid for a balcony why weren't we using it (some times we're a bit slow). We had better veiws with no obstructions from our balcony than from the deck. We were on the port side but by leaning over (slightly) we were able to see Hubbard Glacier coming and going and full on when the captain turns the ship. We invited another couple to share our blacony and when it got cold ordered up coffee from room service.

So yes you will be able to see better from your balcony than on deck.

The whole time we were at Hubbard Glacier we sat on our balcony and watched the calving (Serenade, deck 8 starboard). Our balcony was right where they lowered the small boat to go wrangle some ice to take up to the pool deck and carve. There was someone narrating so I just turned up the volume on the TV in our cabin and we listened that way.

Once you see the calving you know what to expect, so you can be ready for the next time. It sounds like a gunshot followed by thunder and then you see the ice fall. We did not see any calving at Mendenhall. Maybe that is a different type of glacier.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. My daughter sailed on the Serenade last July but had an inside cabin so, naturally, she and her husband went up to one of the top decks. She thought I might be too low on deck 7 to see it from top to bottom. I've went to Alaska 2 years ago but on NCL's Spirit. We didn't pass Hubbard Glacier, so I'm really looking forward to it. This time I'm going with a lady-friend who didn't want to spend the extra money for a cabin. I put my foot down and won. I'm so glad I did. Once again, thanks to all.

The first time we cruise Alaska was on Legend. We had an outside cabin and had to fight the crowds on deck.

The second time we sailed on Vision and had a balcony cabin. It was MUCH better on the balcony when we didn't have to fight for position of get bumped just as we tried to take a picture.

I have pics of our time at Hubbard Glacier in both our photo albums from our Legen and Vision sailings. The links are in my signature below. You'll notice that on Legend, we didn't get very close to the glacier due to the large amount of ice in the bay. I did get some photo's of the crowd around the railing so you'll have an idea what it would be like to stand out on deck. The Vision sailing had perfect weather and we were able to get pretty close in. You are able to see the entire glacier from your balcony.

Archived