Hotel Recommendation for Venice & Barcelona

We will be on a Celebrity cruise, going from Venice to Barcelona. We will be staying in Venice and also Barcelona for a few days, and prefer to stay in hotels that are close to the city (where the main attractions are) and also sufficiently close to the cruise terminal. Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thank you very much

Snoop :)

Snoop123 -

We spent 5 wonderful days post-cruise in Barcelona. I "discovered" a GREAT B&B right in the middle of all the action. I've posted many comments on CC about "the 5 Rooms" and Yessica (the proprietress). You can read one of my more extensive posts here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249423

Recently "the 5 Rooms" has been receiving a lot of very positive media reviews in Europe. I don't know if you have access to any ... but here are some of the latest ones ... "In Style" ... "Home" ... "Elle deco Germany".

In Barcelona, we stayed at the Hotel Lleo and found it to be well located and reasonable in price. The rooms were very large, the bathrooms were quite nice, and the front desk staff spoke excellent English and were helpful.

Here are two places to check for information about hotels and other information both Barcelona and Venice.

Trip advisor for Barcelona (you can back up and find their site for Venice).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187497-Barcelona_Catalonia-Vacations.html

Best Venice site I have found

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

We stayed in a little B&B type hotel and had a great time. If staying before the cruise you can store your bigger pieces of luggage at the Held luggage offices either at the airport or the railroad station. There may even be a similar office at the port but I'm not sure of that. That way you can look at hotels further away from the port. Here was the place we stayed.

http://www.alloggibarbaria.it/gbindex.htm

The rooms were clean and new with a large shower and lots of hot water. The bed was large and comfortable and the A/C was in room controlled which was important as we were there in the summer. I would highly recommend it as a relatively low cost but high quality place to stay in Venice.

Have a great next cruise.

I have already booked the 5 Rooms for May 2006 and am just wondering if the information from the magazines you have mentioned are the English versions or in another language? Would be interested in knowing what editions since my daughter subscribes to these magazines.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo in Venice for 4 nights pre-cruise in May. I can't say enough good things about it. It's close to St. Marks and the staff and breakfasts are wonderful. I don't think I've ever read a bad review of it.

Joan

reader5 -

I believe all these magazines are European editions ... not sure what language(s) they are published in. I just got the info in back-and-forth emails with Yessica (we're planning to re-visit Barcelona this October). I haven't been able to locate any online links to these mags ... and Yessica has said that she is also trying to get links. She said that she will be posting some of these reviews on her web page - but when? ... I don't know.

Try the Montecarlo. It is a Best Western Hotel, so it is easy to book. It is located in San Marco about 100 yards from the Basilica on a small street called Calle Specchieri. It is easy to get to From the San Marco or San Zaccaria vaporetto stops with no bridges to go over.

It is close to everything you would want to see or do in Venice.

I looked at many hotels before deciding on

Locanda Orseolo in Venice

Montecarlo in Barcelona

Both are in 'the center of the action'

Contact them by email, I got a better rate than the web sites I visited.

Archived