French Market District

EL Pitman

I saw this in a previous post and was hoping if anyone has any more recent first hand experience.  We have 6 hours to kill between leaving the ship and staring the air portion of our trip home.  This looks like it would be a fun time waster, but would that be do-able while pulling around our luggage?  Also, with the covid, is it still running?  It states they are running on a reduced schedule, but it states the flea market is running on Sundays, and we would be there on a Sunday, Oct 24th.   Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Follow up question from my husband...  Is it allowed to go to the airport, check our luggage, then leave the airport to kill time?  Yes, we really are very new to this jet setting life style, but we REALLY are enjoying it!!

I have been to the area and don't really think you would want to wheel around your luggage in there.   But you could do it for sure.  Some cruise lines used to offer to take your luggage to the airport from the ship.  Not sure who or even if anyone does that anymore.  Some airlines (like Southwest) won't let you drop luggage more that 4 hours before your flight.  You could probably check with your airline on that thought.  

On 10/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, EL Pitman said:

Is it allowed to go to the airport, check our luggage, then leave the airport to kill time?

Generally no, airlines will have restrictions in place to disincentive this or make it very difficult to do. Plus its like half an hour each way back and forth to the airport. 

My recommendation is pick a nice hotel to have breakfast in once you get off the ship and they will gladly check your luggage with their bell staff for the day. Just tip well and usually there isn't a charge. 

• Like 1

The French Market area is not a place you want to be lugging around luggage.  Way too much of a PITA.  As others have mentioned, hotels in the area are a good bet. I agree with Princeton who suggested having breakfast at a local hotel and the bell staff will likely be happy to store your luggage while you wander around.  I don't have any info on the street cars, but I do hope you enjoy wandering around the French Market and FQ area.