Shore excursions during this pandemic

Hello,

we will be sailing hopefully 🙏 next month on Allure, and ports we will b visiting are Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Routan. In the past we have been to these ports and have booked shore excursions through ship as well as otherwise, on our own. What would you advice during this pandemic? Is it better to book through the ship? Please share your latest experiences 

thanks. 

We booked ours through the ship, only for peace of mind that they were screened/vetted. I live in the most vaccinated county in our state (83% 18+ completely vaxed, add in 12+ and 72% completely vaxed and my employer has 95% vaxed and no vax mandate) yet we have a mask requirement in our county and one where I work that extends past the county one, so I was a bit stressed and I just didn't want to take any chances jumping in a cab this time around. Do what you feel comfortable with.

We booked a private tour for Antigua and last week they canceled saying that Antigua, Barbados and St Kitts will not allow people on the Islands unles they were booked with the ship excursions.  So just booked with the ship before all the beach ones are gone as people that like the beach will be looking at them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharonlacey said:

We booked a private tour for Antigua and last week they canceled saying that Antigua, Barbados and St Kitts will not allow people on the Islands unles they were booked with the ship excursions.  So just booked with the ship before all the beach ones are gone as people that like the beach will be looking at them.

Curious who said this? What month was your tour for? I would think if they’re limiting tours to ship excursions only, they’ll be available in larger quantity.

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants

2 hours ago, BopRN said:

So my question is....Are they putting vaxxed and unvaxxed on the same bus? That would NOT be a good thing!

The only un-vaxxed on our sailing were kids 11 and under who had two tests before even boarding. We had kids on the water taxi to the beach, but didn't have kids on our sailing tour. There were excursions with (V) for vaxxed and tours for those un-vaxxed which for all purposes were parents who were vaxxed with their kiddos. Same as on the ship, some areas for all and some for vaxxed only. Main floor in the theater for example only vaxxed passengers.

3 hours ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Curious who said this? What month was your tour for? I would think if they’re limiting tours to ship excursions only, they’ll be available in larger quantity.

This is for my cruise in Jan.  I booked with a private day pass for a day months ago.  I cannot understand why they would cancel and refund our fully paid excursion if it were not true.  But what every I just wanted to make sure I could get to the beach so already booked my excursions befor they fill.  PS Don't think it is the ship that makes these rules but the Island.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BopRN said:

So my question is....Are they putting vaxxed and unvaxxed on the same bus? That would NOT be a good thing!

Hmmm... the unvaxxed are on the ship with you, in the elevators with you, in some of the theaters sitting next to you,,, in the dining rooms and buffet eating with your maskless, in most of the ship's venues with you. You flew in a big metal tube filled with unvaxxed from Ohio to your embarkation port. What makes a bus different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Hmmm... the unvaxxed are on the ship with you, in the elevators with you, in some of the theaters sitting next to you,,, in the dining rooms and buffet eating with your maskless, in most of the ship's venues with you. You flew in a big metal tube filled with unvaxxed from Ohio to your embarkation port. What makes a bus different?

Spot on!

I don't know if things have changed since we sailed in Aug and since I don't have kids I really didn't pay too much attention to the mixed vaxxed information. But my understanding was mixed vaxxed families/groups had to do ship excursions or not allowed off the ship. 

19 hours ago, sharonlacey said:

This is for my cruise in Jan.  I booked with a private day pass for a day months ago.  I cannot understand why they would cancel and refund our fully paid excursion if it were not true.  But what every I just wanted to make sure I could get to the beach so already booked my excursions befor they fill.  PS Don't think it is the ship that makes these rules but the Island.

I appreciate you posting it because I was not aware and will now take the proper steps to make sure I see a beach on the three islands not yet allowing us to go it alone. 
 I see that Celebrity is keeping their passengers informed of such things while Royal Caribbean says nothing.  
We’ve cruised before a handful of times, but never on Royal. I have to say after hearing how proficient they are/were, not impressed with them so far. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As I understand it, the sailing I’m on in addition to many others are vaccinated-only sailings. Except for little kids.  I personally don’t want to sit next to someone’s runny nosed shorty on a sweaty bus or shuttle or cab or ferry or airplane on a good day, let alone now that I had to jump through rings of fire to get my adult vaxed and swabbed family on a boat. Parents with littles know the deal -  keep em on the down low until they’re vaxed or leave them home.

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants