Getaway vs. Breakaway - What are the differences?

steveknj

We are currently booked on a cruise in January on the Breakaway out of New Orleans.  We have a lot of concerns about flying down to NOLA and then testing positive (we have all been vaccinated, but you never know) and not being able to cruise, and then being stuck in a hotel room for a week.  So we are considering changing out cruise to the Getaway out of NYC (which is close enough to home that I would imagine they'd let us go home to quarantine if we test positive, as we live in NJ).  I know they are sister ships but what are the differences?  I know the Getaway is a bit newer.   We already have another cruise booked in August on the Breakaway, so we'll still wind up on her then.

11 minutes ago, steveknj said:

So we are considering changing out cruise to the Getaway out of NYC (which is close enough to home that I would imagine they'd let us go home to quarantine if we test positive, as we live in NJ). 

Only if you are driving yourself. If you test positive, you are not allowed on commercial flights, trains, buses, and are not allowed to rent a car. Until you are COVID negative. 

3 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Only if you are driving yourself. If you test positive, you are not allowed on commercial flights, trains, buses, and are not allowed to rent a car. Until you are COVID negative. 

We are a 45 minute drive from the pier to home.  Normally we would take a bus to Port Authority in NYC and a taxi to the pier, but if we did this, we'd drive in and park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveknj said:

We are currently booked on a cruise in January on the Breakaway out of New Orleans.  We have a lot of concerns about flying down to NOLA and then testing positive (we have all been vaccinated, but you never know) and not being able to cruise, and then being stuck in a hotel room for a week.  So we are considering changing out cruise to the Getaway out of NYC (which is close enough to home that I would imagine they'd let us go home to quarantine if we test positive, as we live in NJ).  I know they are sister ships but what are the differences?  I know the Getaway is a bit newer.   We already have another cruise booked in August on the Breakaway, so we'll still wind up on her then.

NCL requires you to test prior to leaving home and at the port at check-in. So, with a negative test at home, there would be a very, very, tiny chance of testing positive a day or two later at the pier. (Full disclosure, it has happened at least once). 

To answer you question, the ships are nearly identical. The Getaway is one year younger, but that really doesn't matter. Personally, the itinerary out of NOLA is far superior and I would go there. We have sailed on both ships 4-5 times each. And we have sailed 3 times since restart. 

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL requires you to test prior to leaving home and at the port at check-in. So, with a negative test at home, there would be a very, very, tiny chance of testing positive a day or two later at the pier. (Full disclosure, it has happened at least once). 

To answer you question, the ships are nearly identical. The Getaway is one year younger, but that really doesn't matter. Personally, the itinerary out of NOLA is far superior and I would go there. We have sailed on both ships 4-5 times each. And we have sailed 3 times since restart. 

Where does it say NCL requires a covid test before leaving home? Only thing I could find was that it is encouraged if you want assistance from NCL should you test positive at check-in. 

6 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Where does it say NCL requires a covid test before leaving home? Only thing I could find was that it is encouraged if you want assistance from NCL should you test positive at check-in. 

That is correct. If you want assistance if there is a testing issue at the port, you are required to complete a COVID test at home prior to travel. If you provide documentation of testing at home, NCL will place you in a hotel and provide you with a per person room service allowance. Quarantine is at your expense if you don't come with a test. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

We have sailed the Getaway and the breakaway.  They are sister ships so there is no significant difference there.   Where we did see a difference was in the crew.   The crew aboard the B’away were obviously not happy campers, and it seemed to seep into almost everyone we encountered.  After meeting the officers at the CC meet n greet, I understood.   It put me off the larger ships for a while, but 7 months later we sailed the Getaway and had a completely different experience.  This was just prior to the big shut down, so I’m sure the staff has cha bed by now.

But it was certainly a demonstration of line workers reflecting the attitudes of their superiors.   We are PP a d true. NCL fans, but this, sadly, was our least favorite cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I agree that NOLA is a superior itinerary, but for us, it's more about the cruise than the ports at this point.  We just want to get away.   And there's not ZERO chance as you point out that we won't have a positive test, even a false positive.  Throw in the hassle of flying these days, having to wear a mask on our flights (not that I'm against wearing masks, I'm not, but it's certainly not as pleasant as it could be) and we are having these second thoughts.