Air Plus flight changes with no notification

broker1217

On 10/11/2021 at 6:58 PM, CCWineLover said:

Broker1217 - I truly feel for your situation and thank you for pointing yet another issue with Viking Air out to us all.   We also like to book our own flights if possible now - partly because we have had nothing but problems with Viking Air Plus.   

It always amazes me how so many people sing high praises for VAP, but I don't understand why.  About the only time I'd use VAP anymore is if they offer free air (and even then probably  not).   The issues come really in the fact that you cannot get ticketed until close to flying (like 60 days) and anything can happen before then.

We are veteran travelers as well and have flown quite often - having this part of the trip in your control is paramount to us.   The only upside in VAP I can even see in COVID times is that in theory Viking will handle things in case of issues when traveling to the cruise ship, if you use VAP.  Other issues with a VAP ticket:  cannot try for upgrades until ticketed; often biz and prem econ are not even offered on airline contracts, airline contracts change constantly (possibly what happened to you?) these days.    This isn't even considering that airlines are changing schedules and itineraries all the time up to the flight date, so some of the blame is not on Viking, but just the situation we are in.  I still will avoid Viking Air whenever possible, however.

We don’t have any experience with Viking air. We had planned to use them for a trip this year that we moved to 2022. I appreciate the information being shared. We also usually book our own air, and only use a cruise lines fare if we can get the flights we want at a better price we can get on our own.

But even with flights we book ourselves we have had our flights changed with no notice. I make it a practice to monitor our flights at least once a week once we are booked.

6 hours ago, janetcbl said:

We used Viking Air once, years ago. Since then we have booked our own flights because I want control over airlines, flights, times, etc. For our up coming trip in 2022, beginning in London, we plan to arrive the day before departure, stay overnight at a hotel adjoining the terminal and joining up with the Viking transfer the next day from the airport to the ship. Seems simple enough, will be interesting to see how it actually works out!

Give us a shout if you run into problems with the transfer to the ship, highly unlikely there will be a problem, but there are few brits on here, between us we can get you from a-b with the minimum necessary hassle

On 10/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, tipsygirl said:

We don’t have any experience with Viking air. We had planned to use them for a trip this year that we moved to 2022. I appreciate the information being shared. We also usually book our own air, and only use a cruise lines fare if we can get the flights we want at a better price we can get on our own.

But even with flights we book ourselves we have had our flights changed with no notice. I make it a practice to monitor our flights at least once a week once we are booked.

We have dealt with flight changes and are used to that. What was super annoying is that we were not notified by Viking that they changed our schedule and our airline away from what we paid extra to get.

Just be aware that if you use Viking Air--you are not actually ticketed until maybe 60 days from your flight. It is not a confirmed reservation--and for us that is practically meaningless.

It is a 'pending' ticket. So you can't request upgrades or better seats if you have status on that airline. They are not real reserved tickets

Our issue was--we paid extra $$ for Air Plus and got our requested airline and flights. However it was not ticketed. And then Viking put us on another airline without notification.

On top of that--they wanted us to pay extra $$ to get our original flights back.

So--make sure you understand what you are getting with Viking Air.

Does not work at all for us.

Once flight is booked I save email PDF of Viking booking in case they make a change and deny having made it or want $ for a change back. This has never happened to me and Viking Air through my TA has been good for us, but we live in interesting times.

Edited by philw1776

12 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

From now on once flight is booked I will print PDF of Viking booking in case they make a change and deny having made it or want $ for a change back. This has never happened to me and Viking Air through my TA has been good for us, but we live in interesting times.

Yes, it is a good idea to print off the first, and any subsequent adjusted flight schedules for reference.  Also very important to constantly check the airlines website for updates that may not have filtered down to Viking Air Plus and MVJ yet as those have to be manually adjusted by Viking. 

I hate to jinx myself, but I have been checking my flights for the World Cruise for the last several months and they are still as reserved( but not yet ticketed) with Viking. Sort of strange in

these times 😃

We were ticketed for our trip 65 days in advance, and to our amazement our return itinerary was completely redone by clearly someone really sharp at VAP. Maybe it was a computer. Regardless, the new itinerary is much improved over what we had. Even though we were not notified until after it occurred, someone really skilled came up with this new itinerary. Despite using Matrix Ita, I had missed it. Kudos VAP!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

We were ticketed for our trip 65 days in advance, and to our amazement our return itinerary was completely redone by clearly someone really sharp at VAP. Maybe it was a computer. Regardless, the new itinerary is much improved over what we had. Even though we were not notified until after it occurred, someone really skilled came up with this new itinerary. Despite using Matrix Ita, I had missed it. Kudos VAP!

Out course the very day I post this, our first outgoing flight is cancelled and we are back to square one. The tally is 12 changes with another one to come. Of course this is not VAP’s doing. Be patient with your VAP representative! 

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, rbslos18 said:

Out course the very day I post this, our first outgoing flight is cancelled and we are back to square one. The tally is 12 changes with another one to come. Of course this is not VAP’s doing. Be patient with your VAP representative! 

I respectfully beg to differ.

Our flights were changed by VAP to an airline that was not our choosing.

We were not notified.

Additionally, VAP told us that it was due to a cancellation/change on our preferred airline. That was not a true statement as our chose flights did not change times or flight numbers.

I would carefully look to see if there were, in fact, any changes with the original airline with times or flights.

Our flights were changed to another airline without notification even though there was no change with our chosen flights.

The changes are, in my opinion, related to what is beneficial to VA regarding their contracts.

We have booked our air independently and we are flying from the US West Coast to London for our Northern Lights cruise.  Normally we would fly in the day before.  But I was concerned we would not be able to get our PCR test in the US within 72 hrs of boarding what with a 10.5 hr flight plus 8 time zones, so we are flying in 2 days early.  We have been to London multiple time so we don’t want the precruise extension.  So if we stay at a nearby airport hotel, get our tests, can we return to the airport on the day the ship sails and catch the Viking transport as if we just flew in?

On 10/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, vslparis said:

Yes, it is a good idea to print off the first, and any subsequent adjusted flight schedules for reference.  Also very important to constantly check the airlines website for updates that may not have filtered down to Viking Air Plus and MVJ yet as those have to be manually adjusted by Viking. 

I hate to jinx myself, but I have been checking my flights for the World Cruise for the last several months and they are still as reserved( but not yet ticketed) with Viking. Sort of strange in

these times 😃

If I print all of my emails about changes, the plane may have trouble taking off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We have booked our air independently and we are flying from the US West Coast to London for our Northern Lights cruise.  Normally we would fly in the day before.  But I was concerned we would not be able to get our PCR test in the US within 72 hrs of boarding what with a 10.5 hr flight plus 8 time zones, so we are flying in 2 days early.  We have been to London multiple time so we don’t want the precruise extension.  So if we stay at a nearby airport hotel, get our tests, can we return to the airport on the day the ship sails and catch the Viking transport as if we just flew in?

Yes, if doing your own air  you can use the transfer as long as you have paid for them and submitted the Transfer request form . When it comes to filling out the form, it is best to put your flight number and show your day of arrival is the day of the transfer . 

Also, keep an eye on what if any Covid testing requirements might be for entering the UK at time of travel.

Just booked a river cruise with Viking for next July and planned to call VAR tomorrow.  There's only one daily non-stop from EWR to AMS and two decent flights back from BUD so need to lock flights in.  We used VAR once before and while rep was helpful and flights showed in my UAL ff account all along someone screwed up and we weren't ticketed until 2 weeks before sailing.  At that point couldn't even upgrade to premium economy.  This sailing includes free air so we're committed to VAR.  Concern is I need extra leg room and don't know what upgrades will be available at the 60 day mark.  

Edited by Baron Barracuda

59 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just booked a river cruise with Viking for next July and planned to call VAR tomorrow.  There's only one daily non-stop from EWR to AMS and two decent flights back from BUD so need to lock flights in.  We used VAR once before and while rep was helpful and flights showed in my UAL ff account all along someone screwed up and we weren't ticketed until 2 weeks before sailing.  At that point couldn't even upgrade to premium economy.  This sailing includes free air so we're committed to VAR.  Concern is I need extra leg room and don't know what upgrades will be available at the 60 day mark.  

Even though Viking quotes that 60 day mark, most on our cruise were able to book flights way before that.  I paid for Air Plus and was able to book my flights 8 months before our cruise.

Ok, I must admit I was feeling pretty smug...  While we didn't get exactly the flights we wanted, we got flights on Delta that were fine.  Minneapolis to San Juan, then Barcelona to Minneapolis on April 3, 2021.  I looked today on MYVIKING... And saw my return lights had been changed.  Different time and different airline, much worse.  I have paid for Viking Air so I called.  The other flights available were very early in the am.  The person I was talking to said we would only need 45 minutes to get from the ship, through customs and to the gate for the plane.  I don't believe that is possible.  Total poor show for Viking, The VA representative said that with their contract there was no availability.  On Delta's website there is plenty of seats available, so it is a viking air contract issue, not airline, totally disappointed. 

20 minutes ago, stcroixguy said:

On Delta's website there is plenty of seats available, so it is a viking air contract issue, not airline, totally disappointed. 

Remember that a "seat map" is a very inaccurate way to judge the inventory available on an aircraft.  Unless you have specialized tools, such as ExpertFlyer and KVS and others, you are making a big assumption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that a "seat map" is a very inaccurate way to judge the inventory available on an aircraft.  Unless you have specialized tools, such as ExpertFlyer and KVS and others, you are making a big assumption.

Can you say more about this? When I look at seat maps for our Delta flights, I too have assumed that available seats mean that they’re unoccupied and unsold. 

8 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Can you say more about this? When I look at seat maps for our Delta flights, I too have assumed that available seats mean that they’re unoccupied and unsold. 

It means that those are the seats that you can select for your "assignment".  And those you can't are not necessarily occupied -- they may be blocked off for any number of reasons.

Also, remember that airline tickets are not like tickets to a play or a sporting event.  You do not buy a specific seat.  You have A SEAT on that flight.  So buying a ticket doesn't give you specific seats.  It is very possible that there are passengers who have tickets but no seat assignment, say on a basic economy fare that doesn't allow for seat selection.  You may see lots of "empties".  Only means that no one is assigned to that seat at this time.

Let's try this hypothetical.  You look at a seat map and see 50 non-assigned "available" seats.  Wow, plenty of room.  Then you show up for your flight and there's barely an empty seat on the flight.  Hmmm.  Well, could there have been say 48 basic economy tickets sold that didn't come with a seat assignment? 

And it also works in the reverse.  Seats may be blocked off for any number of reasons, and so the flight looks more full than it really is.

So...can it be an accurate guide?  Yes.  Will it be an accurate guide?  Maybe sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

It means that those are the seats that you can select for your "assignment".  And those you can't are not necessarily occupied -- they may be blocked off for any number of reasons.

Also, remember that airline tickets are not like tickets to a play or a sporting event.  You do not buy a specific seat.  You have A SEAT on that flight.  So buying a ticket doesn't give you specific seats.  It is very possible that there are passengers who have tickets but no seat assignment, say on a basic economy fare that doesn't allow for seat selection.  You may see lots of "empties".  Only means that no one is assigned to that seat at this time.

Let's try this hypothetical.  You look at a seat map and see 50 non-assigned "available" seats.  Wow, plenty of room.  Then you show up for your flight and there's barely an empty seat on the flight.  Hmmm.  Well, could there have been say 48 basic economy tickets sold that didn't come with a seat assignment? 

And it also works in the reverse.  Seats may be blocked off for any number of reasons, and so the flight looks more full than it really is.

So...can it be an accurate guide?  Yes.  Will it be an accurate guide?  Maybe sometimes.

Interesting. Thanks. I hadn’t thought about Basic Economy fliers. I hope there are lots of them on our flight to Europe in a few months, because right now it looks nearly completely empty and I don’t want to see it get canceled. 

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

it looks nearly completely empty and I don’t want to see it get canceled. 

Time to kill one more mistaken idea.

Just because a flight has a very light load does NOT mean that it is susceptible for cancellation on a particular date.

Why?  Because though there may be few passengers for one segment, there is still a need for the aircraft and the crew to be at the destination.  For future flights AFTER the one with the light load.  Aircraft and crew scheduling is an intricate ballet, moving assets to where they are needed on an ongoing basis.  Toss in maintenance needs and you will find that an airline will do almost anything to avoid cancelling a flight and disrupting that pre-charted flow of metal and manpower.

Note how a weather event in one city has a cascading effect throughout an airline's operations.  Aircraft are stuck in the wrong place and crews are not ready to fly their next assignment.  Now, would an airline deliberately break up this movement just because of a light load?

Now....if a route is underperforming with poor loads and poor yields, it may be removed from the schedule overall -- but that's for more than just one particular day.  And those kind of decisions are part of overall route planning at the corporate level.

Finally, there is the issue of belly cargo.  Lots of flights may be losers or break even on the passenger level, but make a significant profit on the cargo they carry.  Flights from South America are often completely full of cargo, making it profitable even with light loads.

Hope this helps out.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, stcroixguy said:

Ok, I must admit I was feeling pretty smug...  While we didn't get exactly the flights we wanted, we got flights on Delta that were fine.  Minneapolis to San Juan, then Barcelona to Minneapolis on April 3, 2021.  I looked today on MYVIKING... And saw my return lights had been changed.  Different time and different airline, much worse.  I have paid for Viking Air so I called.  The other flights available were very early in the am.  The person I was talking to said we would only need 45 minutes to get from the ship, through customs and to the gate for the plane.  I don't believe that is possible.  Total poor show for Viking, The VA representative said that with their contract there was no availability.  On Delta's website there is plenty of seats available, so it is a viking air contract issue, not airline, totally disappointed. 

Do you mean 45 minutes from ship to boarding gate at BCN? I must be misunderstanding?

From BCN airport website:

The passenger should be at the check-in counter at least with : 
 For No Schengen flights: 3 hours prior the departure scheduled time.
 For Schengen and domestic flights: 2 hours prior the departure scheduled time.
Note that there might be many people at peak travel periods or special event dates.

No matter what the Viking Air person tells you, validate on both the airport and the airline website what the recommended arrival time at the airport should be. Also make sure you validate the possibility of checking in online prior to airport arrival, availability of self-check kiosks for baggage check, typical security wait times for your day and time. Understand as much about your departing airport as possible. Such as, is there another security check at the gate or do you have to take a bus from the gate to the plane---just understand the process so it is less stressful.

21 hours ago, stcroixguy said:

The person I was talking to said we would only need 45 minutes to get from the ship, through customs and to the gate for the plane. 

Absolutely impossible.

It's at least five minutes from leaving the ship to reaching the luggage area.  Add in another five minutes for gathering luggage and into a vehicle.  At best, BCN is 20 minutes from the port, but during morning rush hour, you may well be fighting traffic in each direction.  Then unloading at BCN and making your way to the check-in desk. Add another five.  Waiting in line for check-in....who knows. Making your way through security and outbound passport control.  Another 10 minutes easy.  Walking to your gate - another 10+.

Add it up and you are probably looking at a hour or more, and that's with all the stars aligned. 

Remember....most of cruiseline air agents have never been to these airports, and many are just paper pushers who have little experience in anything other than the scripts that they are given.  That relates to check-ins, connections, routings, equipment and most everything else with air travel.

• Like 2

How the heck do the Viking Air agents NOT have a minimum 2 hour arrival prior to departure for a non-US airport?

And it appears they do not build in to their scheduling the day of week or time of day fluctuations, nor the specific requirements of certain airports.

I honestly feel sorry for those who are putting their trust in Viking Air. They may not know any better and think that they are fine with 45 minutes ship to gate. Yikes.

• Like 1

Called VAP this morning to book my EWR-AMS and BUD-EWR flights for July.  Had paid for air plus, knew what flights I wanted and had identified available seats.  Despite this due to "system issues" ended up spending two hours on the phone.  Rep kept having to put me on hold,  checking back every three minutes to say he was still working on us.   Was a bit annoyed that despite airfare being "included" for our sailing and my having selected the cheapest outbound flight on UAL's web site VAP reported it carried a $94pp upcharge.  The flight was the only daily non-stop so we paid up.  Also while the UAL site quoted $200 to upgrade to premium economy for VAP it was $400.  At least we're booked and have our seat assignments.   I'll monitor periodically to make sure nothing changes.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Was a bit annoyed that despite airfare being "included" for our sailing and my having selected the cheapest outbound flight on UAL's web site VAP reported it carried a $94pp upcharge.  The flight was the only daily non-stop so we paid up.  Also while the UAL site quoted $200 to upgrade to premium economy for VAP it was $400.  At least we're booked and have our seat assignments.   I'll monitor periodically to make sure nothing changes.

The price available to the general public has ZERO relationship to the cost to the cruiseline.  And to the pricing they charge to cruisers.

The $94 dollars was the charge for the difference between the "standard" flights (the included ones) and your non-stop.  To Viking.  And that's what gets priced - not the retail published pricing for flights bought directly from the airline.  And ditto for the upgrade price to premium economy.  It's the difference in the contract prices, not the website prices.

You should not be annoyed.  You were dealing with contract flights and contract pricing.  And trying to link that to published pricing is apples and oranges.

• Like 1