Ladies packing help needed

spendalot

Hi we are cruising the 14 day RT Hawaiin this April and I need to know how much packing do i need , like 14 day outfits 14 night outfits. We have PC dining and Im not sure what is appropriate, like slacks and a top ok or so we need dressier . Oh and how many shoe sdo you bring to somwething like this?

In the past I have always over packed, soemtimes I did run out of things other times I never wore what I brought. This time I want to make it easy on myself and get soem of your professioanl advise.

Thanks.

If you're going on the Island Princess, you may want to note that there are coin-operated laundries on each deck that has cabins. So we did a couple of loads of laundry so we can take less clothes.

The PC dining room dress code is the same as the traditional one. The usual wear for casual nights runs toward dresses, sun dresses, skirts, pant suits. For the three formal nights you can wear cocktail length or full length dresses or fancy pants suits and be okay.

I ended up bringing a couple of skirts, a couple of non-formal dresses, a black cocktail length dress (bought just before the cruise), a silk long dress and a short dress that I usually wear to a formal night on cruises just because my legs are usually the one feature I have in great shape. I also brought two swimsuits (sometimes one is still drying), some shorts, a pair of jeans for day use. Lots of tops. And I bought another aloha dress in Hawaii which I wore for Island Night (everyone is encouraged to wear a tropical outfit for one of the nights...a party is held by the Lido pool).

Hope this helps.

I'm not a shoe person so I only took a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals and a dresser pair of heels.

One thing about LA to remember is that it doesn't get warm until July (and then really,really warm). Our weather tends to be overcast in the morning until then. Every once in a while our winter and springs may have some days in the 80s (like last week) but then today, where I live, we were in the 40s and rainy. The coast, where you probably may stay, will be milder, maybe in the 60s/70s range during the day.

The best rule of thumb that was ever given to me was pack your suitcase as normal, then take out half of what you're taking. It's not like you won't be buying anything during the trip. When we go, it's usually one formal outfit, that has a couple of options on how it's worn (long dress with matching jacket), a mumu (or buy one at Hilo Hattie's), a sweater, a couple of pairs of shorts, a pair of jean/slacks, three shirts and four tee shirts. We also plan to wash at least once, so we take a week's supply of undies. Footware is exactly the same as Cruisin' Chick. Anything else pick up along the way - for me, that's half the fun of traveling.

Happy Sails,

Charlie

Wow! You gals do a much better job of packing than I. I have a small rollie suitcase just for shoes. I NEED tennies, bathing suit sandals, dress shoes (2 colors to match outfits), H2O shoes for excursion and sandals for casual outfits - black and brown. I'll go take a few out. As for me - I don't want to do laundry on vacation.

I would also add 2 pairs of dressy capris and nice tops. You can wear them for dinner while in Hawaiian islands and around in the daytime or to island night. This is my 13th cruise and second long one. If you take 14 different outfits you mightl have to pay extra for your luggage on the plane (might be too heavy or too many suitcases). You should be able to get away with 4 basic long pants with different tops and a couple of dresses. One or two dressy outfits for the 3 formal nights. Good luck lets us know how you make out.

Shoes are the packing culprits. They take up so much room. I bring a pair of good thong sandals that double for slippers and walking around the ship. My dress shoes are a neutral color dressier sandal and I wear them with my long skirt or with slacks. One pair of very comfortable, strong and thick soled sandals for excursions. I stopped bringing too many formal clothes. I have a long black skirt and two or three dressy tops. That's it. I have found that it really isn't necessary to bring any more than that for formal wear. Unless, of course, you really enjoy the dress up thing. I don't, so I am perfectly relaxed, look nice and haven't stuffed my suitcase. I think Princess offers a laundry special whereby it's a set price for one bag stuffed with as much as you can fit. I don't know if all Princess ships do that, but you can check. I just have my laundry done no matter the cost. We have done a lot of traveling world wide, and my motto is "No matter how little you pack, you will always make do....too much and you waste precious time."

Like most of the others, I wear sneakers on the ship and pack two pairs of sandals (neutral and black) that I can wear either casually or on formal night(s). I bring a pair of jeans and beige and white slacks as well as several Ts and cotton shirts. On the first couple of days out of LA, I layer the Ts with the shirts and then wear just the shirts as it gets warmer. For evenings, I bring a couple of dresses that can be worn either plain or dressed up plus some silk-like shirts to wear with my slacks for non-formal evenings. For formal evenings, I have a long black dress that I dress up with a couple of very different sequined shawls.

I pack the basics for 7 days and plan on doing laundry late one afternoon during the cruise. I've found that going to the laundry room at about 4PM is a good time. I also take advantage of the $15 "all you can stuff into the laundry bag" for my shirts and anything else that needs more professional laundrying. It's amazing how white they can get your white pants! Like new!

I also dress up and down with jewelry so that I pack the minimum but still feel good about how I look. One trick I use is that I got an over-the-door clothes hanger and when I'm putting stuff out to pack, I hang everything there. Once I've got everything I *think* I want, I start matching colors and weeding out what I don't need. Sure, I could bring a lot more but the thought of packing and lugging it crosscountry is enough to stop me.

I returned from the Island Princess 2 weeks ago. I took a LOT of clothes and was not sorry. I actually wore all but 3 tops.

As for long pants and capris, I would suggest that you choose a poly/cotton combination fabric, as they can be worn more than once and not look as wrinkled and "bagged out" (at knees and butt) as 100% cotton.

As I had to fly from FLA to LA, I wore sneakers to travel and to board, and packed lighter weight shoes (I had 4 pairs plus water shoes plus slippers). Again, no regrets - all were worn.

When I cruise, doing laundry is the last way I would want to spend my time.

I sincerely hope you enjoy this cruise as much as my travel friend and I did. We loved it so much we plan to repeat this cruise in 2008.

I've heard some people talking about the $15 special but have yet to see it listed anywhere (and I'm pretty good about checking out the Patters). There was a small (very small) bag attached to the laundry list in our closet. I can't see being able to stuff too many things (maybe a blouse or two) in this bag.

The "all you can put in the bag" specials are definitely listed in the Patter, and the bag is not that small. On my Royal Princess cruise, I got 2 pairs of slacks, 5 shirts and 5 T-shirts into the bag (each rolled up) which made it a heck of a deal.

Remember, with PC dining you will be sitting at the dinner table with different people every night, so no one will even notice if you repeat outfits a few times. I do think 14 nights with the same table mates, they WOULD notice. I also like the idea of a plain black formal with different accessories, or a long black skirt with different tops. I also like to buy a few things on a trip, they always bring back memories for me when I wear them at home, and Princess has a good selection of fancy tops that can be worn with a black skirt. Have fun!

Archived