Failing COVID Test at Airport or Port before you depart

Mrk2868

What happens if you get to the departure airport or departure port and fail the P&O (free of charge) COVID Test?  Do P&O provide a refund or cruise credits or do they expect you to claim on Travel Insurance?

Has this happened to anyone here?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.  Did have a look at the P&O website, but could not find the policy clearly stated.  

25 minutes ago, heslopali said:

We are flying from Manchester airport  in November and we must pay for a PCR test upto 72 hrs prior to departure. No free tests

There are 2 tests to be done before flying to Barbados. 72 hour PCR test that we have to pay for (expensive) and LFT that P&O are conducting at the airport. The latter is free.  

So do we get refunds or FCC if we fail either test or just the airport FCC?  Like others have mentioned here I can’t find a clear answer on the P&O website!

Edited by Mrk2868

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Our of interest, if a person has recently had Covid and recovered,  say 4 weeks previous, how long does it take to get a negative test?

Just looked it up.  Some people can be negative after 10 days, others can take weeks or months, so how on earth does that work for going on a cruise, or any holiday.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Just looked it up.  Some people can be negative after 10 days, others can take weeks or months, so how on earth does that work for going on a cruise, or any holiday.

I read the NHS staff are not recommended to take a lateral flow test for 90 days after receiving a positive PCR test. I presume because it can give a false positive until the viral remnants in your system fall below a certain level. You are not infectious of course. At least P&O give you a PCR test if you get a positive LFT and that should show that the LFT is just indicating viral remnants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Our of interest, if a person has recently had Covid and recovered,  say 4 weeks previous, how long does it take to get a negative test?

My wife and I both caught COVID at the beginning of this month. Although not necessary, we both tested negative on day 9 of our 10 day isolation and have been testing since then, the last was a negative this morning. We did read that we could test positive for up to 4 weeks which caused us some concern as we are on board at the end of this month. Both double jabbed so it was like a bad cold for us with lingering coughs but feeling fine now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rojojacko said:

My wife and I both caught COVID at the beginning of this month. Although not necessary, we both tested negative on day 9 of our 10 day isolation and have been testing since then, the last was a negative this morning. We did read that we could test positive for up to 4 weeks which caused us some concern as we are on board at the end of this month. Both double jabbed so it was like a bad cold for us with lingering coughs but feeling fine now. 

Glad to hear that it didn’t hit you too hard and you are recovered. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Les.

• Like 2

I'm sure it said you would get a FCC.

It's three weeks since I caught it. I was told after the positive PCR test not to take another one for 90 days as it could still show up as positive. The LFT was negative when I took it on day 11. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:16 AM, Mrk2868 said:

There are 2 tests to be done before flying to Barbados. 72 hour PCR test that we have to pay for (expensive) and LFT that P&O are conducting at the airport. The latter is free.  

So do we get refunds or FCC if we fail either test or just the airport LFT?  Like others have mentioned here I can’t find a clear answer on the P&O website!

Just spoke to P&O.  They said that if you fail either the 72 hour beforehand PCR test or the LFT at airport they will give FCC for a future cruise.  Good to hear this as will avoid insurance clams etc. 

2 minutes ago, Mrk2868 said:

Just spoke to P&O.  They said that if you fail either the 72 hour beforehand PCR test or the LFT at airport they will give FCC for a future cruise.  Good to hear this as will avoid insurance clams etc. 

Makes big sense to only book fly cruises direct with cruiselines so flights and cruise qualify for FCC at same time

I've often done stuff separately in the past

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Makes big sense to only book fly cruises direct with cruiselines so flights and cruise qualify for FCC at same time

I've often done stuff separately in the past

Not really something you can do with P&O, all their fly cruises are inclusive of flights.