Live from The Grand Princess - February 18 - 25

San10s

Don't eat everything - we're on her next week!!! Thanks so much for the updates - we love it.

On another thread someone wrote that the Captain was being replaced on the 18th....do you know if it's still the same one as last week?

One of the reasons for the late departure out of Galveston was because there was an inspection of the ship on Saturday. The entire crew had to disembark and reclear Customs & Immigration before departure. They were all lined up as we were clearing Customs.

Mike

Keep the reports coming. I hope you have an uneventful trip like we did on 1/28/06. I think we were the only good week within the last month even with weather & tenders.

Julie

Hey out there. We were with you on the Grand last month. You are right,we hit a good week. We are booked on the Dawn later this year. Any first hand knowledge of that one. Thanks Paul and Katey

I've enjoyed reading your reviews. My daughter and I were on the Grand (our first cruise) the week of Jan. 21 and had such a GRAND:) time. I would rather be cruising than working any day! We ate most of our evening meals in the Michaelangelo dining room. Although, Franz was very nice, we were captivated with Istvan, the Head Waiter. Should you run into him, please tell him that Barbara and her daughter, Janet from CA said hello. He was quite charming, yet shy. I'm glad that you are having a wonderful time and that all is going well despite your late sailaway.

Keep the detailed updates coming as I enjoy reading them and it helps me relive my own recent holiday at sea. Wishing you warm weather and lots of sunshine.

San10s, should you happen to speak to CD Neil Chandler, I have some nice video of him in full chicken suit attire and his "if I Were Not Upon The Ship" performance from Sapphire.

If he would like, I could make and send DVD , just need mailing address.

Time for some answers to your questions.....

Cozgal - We are missing you and Pete! :( I have not had an adult beverage yet but will do so in Costa Maya tomorrow and I will toast to you both! As you probably read later in another one of my 'installments', the CC group could not get together due to the change in the Muster time. I traded voicemail with CD Neil Chandler....who I have yet to meet....and it will probably be on Friday when we get together next.

Cruis-a-holic444 - Tea was not served yesterday.....I asked and was disappointed. Tea and all the open seating meals for breakfast and lunch are held in the DaVincci dining room. I just had tea about an hour ago and will tell you more about that in my next post.

Princess Bride - That webcam shot could certainly be from today as the ship has been sailing on VERY calm seas. There is barely any motion to the ship. I think they refer to the seas as "slight swells". It is a terrific day at sea today. I will write another installment on our sea day later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Joanne1 - Monday night is the Caribbean night and therefore our best option for the specialty restaurant reservations. It is time for me to try one of those restaurants! We have not done MUTS yet as it was about 35 out on deck last night. The movie was in the Vista Lounge and was 'Meet the Fockers'. Tonight MUTS is scheduled to show War of the Worlds. I won't be there but DH most likely will be.

jlp20 - I will tell Neil when I meet him about your video. I think you should offer it to his staff so they can 'use it'. LOL

Colo Cruiser - I will check with the staff tomorrow night when we dine at the Sterling and see where Antonio is. I'll let you know what I find out.

For those of you talking about souffles....yummm! Tonight the chocolate hazelnut souffle is on the dessert menu. I will try to get them to leave it in the cup as I like it that way as well. I can't wait! I would even consider skipping everything else and having TWO souffles! :D

As for the cruise staff, I did recognize Adam (very shiny bald head! :D )from another one of our cruises. I will check out the staff and report back later.

It's just after 5 PM and it has been an absolutely super day here on the Grand. The sun worshipers were in there glory as the temp was a warm 74 degrees and barely a cloud in the sky. Put that together with calm seas and no one could ask for better conditions!:D

I am off to enjoy some down time on my balcony. I brought all the magazines (about 10) that I hadn't time to read in the last few months...since Thanksgiving. I am NOT bringing them back home with me so I HAVE to read them!

I'll check in with you in the morning before breakfast and give you my diary of our day at sea today. :D

Have a great Sunday night everyone.

I would also imagine the reason the Grand was late leaving is that the NTSB or whoever investigates maritime issues came on board to check things out!! With the stories, injuries and news accounts, I'm sure they checked it out before that ship left port again.... Granted no structural damage but you have to check out who's at the helm.........;)

Judy,

would you mind asking if Antonio Banza is still a supervisor in the specialty restaurants?

If he is there and you have the chance to meet him he will take good care of you. Fantastic guy.

If not do they know where he went?

There was an Antonio that was the head waiter in the Botticelli last week. Shorter guy with glasses that cooked our section special pasta dishes two nights. I'm sorry that I don't know his last name but I'll try to put his pic on here. This guy was absolutely delightful and we had a great time kidding each other - terrific dancer too as he grabbed me to dance during the Italian night dining room dance.:D

Well, I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to attach the pic. If you want to send me your email, I'll be happy to send it since I DO know how to handle that one!:p

Cheri

There was an Antonio that was the head waiter in the Botticelli last week. Shorter guy with glasses that cooked our section special pasta dishes two nights. I'm sorry that I don't know his last name but I'll try to put his pic on here. This guy was absolutely delightful and we had a great time kidding each other - terrific dancer too as he grabbed me to dance during the Italian night dining room dance.:D

Well, I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to attach the pic. If you want to send me your email, I'll be happy to send it since I DO know how to handle that one!:p

Cheri

Thanks, it is colocruiser@cruiseaddicts.com

Good Morning Everyone! :)

I thought I would write my journal for yesterday's day at sea. I may have to interrupt it once again when my dining room companions arrive to head to breakfast.

Sunday, February 19th -

I awoke early enough to watch a beautiful sunrise off our balcony...again on the port side of the ship. I probably should have slept some more but once on board I am way too excited to lay in bed instead of getting up and enjoying experinces like sunrises. There were large, puffy clouds on the horizon and the colors that came up through the clouds were magnificant. I took photos but I am not if they will do it justice. The temp when I first went outside was 68 degrees according to the 'Ship's Log' on the cabin TV. By the time I was ready to leave my cabin to head to the INternet Cafe, the temp was over 72 and it continued to get warmer...maybe about 75. It was just right. From the moment I watched sunrise and through the rest of the day, the seas were so calm. After I had typed to you folks and had breakfast in the DaVincci, I went up to the Lido (Deck 14) to find some of my gang that I am traveling with. As I suspected, those sun worshipers were out in FULL force all over the Lido. There were chairs to be had on the bow and aft of the Lido and above the pool areas but the Neptune Pool area was packed with bathing suited, tanning lotioned people! :eek: There are quite a few kids on this vacation week (northern US and New England are on winter break) cruise. I don't have that number but I will ask CD Neil Chandler later today. The only time I notice the kids is in that Neptune Pool area. Everyone is well behaved and there were not any issues with kids in the adult spas or pool according to my DH who spent almost all of yesterday in that area. The pools were probably close to 65 so it really kept people out of them. The kids of course have no problem going into those temps! :rolleyes:

Okay...more to come. I am off to breakfast. :D

Loving your posts. Thanks so much. We have some friends cruising with you who also live in Texas (like us). Fortunately they drove down from Dallas on Friday so they had no weather related problems. Glad to hear all is well so far. THANKS!

Princess Bride, 'around' the 25th . . . that is what I read too, meaning the cruise before or after ?!?! I really don't think that the CD makes that much of a difference but when I was on the Regal we had Sammy. It isn't going to make or break a cruise but she is very good, always out and about, while I really don't remember anyone else. I have read good things about Neil so I was just wondering . . .

I am finally back!:) Now where was I??

First, a little update......the Captain (Nick Carlton) has announced that we lost time overnight and this morning due to strong currents and head winds. The hour we had made up from our two hour late departure has been lost and a little more. We are now looking at arrving in the Costa Maya harbor area around noon. He stated that again due to the strong winds that we will proceed cautiously to the pier and that docking may be a little more difficult with those high winds. :rolleyes: The Internet Cafe is filled with people on line and folks waiting their turn.

I am not much of a sun person and found more than enough to keep me busy throughout the day. I watched the floral demonstration and then the "what you can make with fruits and veggies" demo as well. Always interesting to see what creative people can do with everyday things like veggies. I also spent time here in the Internet Cafe of course! ;) I met up with friends and had a slice of pepperoni pizza for lunch. We hit it just right as there was no line. Shortly after we were eating, the line was quite long. It is difficult to find tables on nearby the pizza place since it is there in the Neptune pool area. We got lucky and had someone getting up right next to us and scored a table in the shade. The grill (hamburgers, veggie burgers, hotdogs, bratwurst, knockwurst, etc) had a long, steady line throughout the time we were there. I have not yet tried anything from there but it looked great as people went by with their plates.

I also stopped by the Horizon Court to check it out since I had not been through there. Everything looked delicious. There was a HUGE bowl of shrimp and coctail sauce available and many other offerings. I did take some of the always available watermelon and pineapple wedges. If I could only find someone back home to have them ready for me I know I would eat more fruit! No dessert but again there had to be 5 -8 different pastries available.

I also stopped by a wedding that was being held on the Lido deck (aft) that overlooked the Adult pool. The railings had been decorated with garlands and chairs lined up for guests. Capt. Carlton did the ceremony on a quite windy but beautiful late afternoon. The bride was lovely and wore a beautiful, full length, candlelight colored gown. The groom wore a nice, light beige suit and tie. The guests were less formal in resort wear and a few ties. The Captain in his dress white uniform and hat stood at a podium with his back to the aft of the ship. The couple faced him looking out to the sea behind the ship. After he pronounced them husband and wife and the celebratory kiss (very nicely done by the bride and groom!), the couple went to a table to sign their documents and have photos done with the Captain. It was a very nice moment sharing their ceremony that I enjoyed.

I continue to find some (or they are finding me) more Cruise Critic folks. I spoke with the CD, Neil and we will have ur get together with him on our last sea day. Until then, many of the people will continue to meet on tours that we are sharing, etc. Neil did mention the Cruise Critic folks on his Wakey Wakey show. He welcomed us on board! He is a such nice guy.

Last night was the first formal night. Our group decided to try to eat around 7:30 PM. The Captains Cocktail party was from 7:30 - 8:00 PM. There was also one earlier for the people with first seating. I checked in at the Michaelangelo dining room earlier....abut 6:45 PM.....and asked Roberto for a table(s) for 14! I received a pager and was told it would be aout 25 minutes. We were paged at 7:35 PM so we did not hear the Captain address the crowds in the Atrium. We had a table for 8 and one for 6 right next to each other. I had a caesar salad, shrimp coctail and the beef tenderloin. The Beef could be cut with my fork. It was wonderful. For dessert....yup...you guessed it.....my first of the week chocolate hazelnut souffle with delicious sauce. I asked to keep the souffle in the cup and was accomedated! I was warned several times not to touch the cup. It was so yummy....and my waiter Karol gave me several scoops of the sauce ito the center of that HOT souffle. I finished every bit of it!

I am off to take a walk on the promenade with my DH so I will be back later with the final installment for my sea day! :D

Enjoy your Monday everyone!:D

We had Tamas as our waiter in December and he was excellent. Glad to hear he's going home soon to see his family!

Runner - the jogging track is directly above cabin #s L-301 & L-302. I know because we heard the pounding footsteps when people were jogging on it! It's just up a deck from the Lido Deck, a deck above the adults' swim-with-the-current pool by the spa area. The jogging track goes around the paddle tennis/basketball court, around the teen area and back around the little kids' area to the side where there are chaise lounges.

Not sure on the distance, but it looked pretty small to me.

Archived