Shade at Ocean Cay Marine Reserve...

Liza555

There is zero shade.

There are free umbrellas at the beach that stretches from the ship to the lighthouse and sailing under capacity, there were plenty available.  I didn't use them because we love the sun - but they look pretty big.

Edited by MonsterJoe

8 minutes ago, Twinswithtwins said:

I saw that the Cabanas were very far from the water. 

You can rent more than one umbrella for more coverage.

I think they are $12- ordered online.

Not sure what side you are looking at, but YC cabanas are ocean front...maybe 20yds from the water.

12 hours ago, Liza555 said:

Was not looking at the ocean front cabana's as they are pretty pricey 🙂  The umbrella's are $12 in the cruise planner, not free?

We rented an umbrella and worked great for us because I love the sun and dh loves the shade. It did not cover both of us at all times.

Would never go there without renting an umbrella.

• Like 1

Whichever you choose, make sure you have something. Ocean Cay has almost non-existent shade since the vegetation is so young. It feels like you’re in a desert at times. We loved Ocean Cay, but the heat was brutal without shade. 

When we sailed in September, we rented an umbrella which we didn’t claim. We were directed to go to South Beach (in the lagoon by the food pavilion) to grab our umbrella but we wanted to set camp at Lighthouse Bay (the beach next to the Lighthouse and the dock). We were told that there were no rentals at Lighthouse Bay (don’t know if it’s always like that or if it was because the limited capacity and reduced staff). 

So we looked for one of the free umbrellas along Lighthouse Bay (there were none by the time we got off the ship, even at 50% capacity). But we were lucky enough to find one of the very few shaded spots under some palm trees which someone had set up with chairs and had just left. Otherwise, there was no way we could’ve stayed for long. 

• Like 1

I had the same experience as Tapi. I rented an umbrella, and had to bring it back from the rental area at South Beach to Lighthouse Beach. It’s not walkable, at least not for me. Had to wait a bit for a ride. When I got to Lighthouse Beach, there were plenty of free umbrellas, so my rental umbrella stayed closed. At least, I didn’t have to return the rental umbrella. There were a few trees at the lighthouse beach, more shade there than at South Beach. It was a partly cloudy day, and that helped cut down on the rays.