American Queen - cabin location warning

adstz

Just got off the American Queen on Monday, October 18. We had cabin C320.

The cabins are much smaller than what you get on an ocean liner. I was aware of that and willing to put up with it.

What I was not aware of was the NOISE. On the port side of the boat (where we were) there is a CONSTANT 24/7 loud engine noise. At first I thought it was because they have a mobile generator loaded onboard because of earlier problems. When I went down to the engine room and talked to an engineer she said that the noise is always there. It has nothing to do with the additional generator. (which I understand they will be off loading as soon as their generator is fixed) 

While inside the cabin it becomes a background noise and we were able to put up with it.

However, while sitting outside the room to watch the world go by it is VERY loud. I could only sit out for short amounts of time as it caused a headache. To me it really impacted my ability to relax after a day of walking around ports.

I did walk around to the starboard side and there was no noise other than what you would expect.

For what it is worth (in these Covid times) service was not at all what you would expect for the prices you pay. 

Just a warning for those booking future cruises.

3 minutes ago, Ant@sea said:

Did you attempt to change cabins? If so, what was the response?

No, we didn't. Probably should have as we were only sailing with about 240 passengers.

We were travelling with friends and had side by side cabins.