I found a picture of my parents on the original Mardi Gras

furf_n_slo

So cool!

My wife sailed on the Tropicale out of Los Angeles back in 1988.  We sent in a pic of her with her waiter and a pic of some other souvenirs to get credit for her 7-day cruise for the VIFP program.  It worked!

Cheers!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

So cool!

My wife sailed on the Tropicale out of Los Angeles back in 1988.  We sent in a pic of her with her waiter and a pic of some other souvenirs to get credit for her 7-day cruise for the VIFP program.  It worked!

Cheers!

That's so funny you got credit!

6 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

So cool!

Cheers!

DH was on same cruise in ‘88 and was able to get credit as well with pictures. 

My husband and I were on the Mardi Gras in maybe 1985.  He had won the cruise at his company's Christmas party.  It was our very first cruise, and if we hadn't gone on that cruise, I don't know when we might have tried it out!   I remember that the "carpet" in our cabin was very thin fake green turf-like material.  To get into the bathroom, you had to step into the shower.  We had bunkbeds and a porthole - which I never did get to look out of because I was too short.  I remember watching a movie in the theater, and the waiters dancing with the flaming baked Alaska on their heads as they came out of the kitchen!  

Edited by Fergus
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Yep we did the same, sent a pic from our honeymoon cruise in 1984 and got the credit !

9 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

So cool!

Cheers!

I should add that we also had to send a current pic of her and our marriage license so they could match it up.

I saw here a few weeks ago that someone else found a picture of the old girl (MG). Got me too thinking if I had any pictures of her from my 1987\ 5 day Freeport-Nassau cruise out of Port Lauderdale so I checked deep in my spare bedroom closet, dusted off some old boxes of pictures and VOLIA !! There she was !! All tied up at the dock, snug as a bug. I was a true cruise virgin and I still remember how amazed I was at how HUGH I thought the old girl was. Seeing her pictured along side the NEW Mardi Gras this Sept 11 the old one looked like a tug boat. LOLLLL ! But I enjoyed my brief introduction to the wonderful joys of cruising ! I thought silently to myself while looking at the picture, I truly have come full circle

Mac

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can't find any pictures but we sailed on original Mardi Gras over Easter 1982. I looked and Easter was April 11 so I know it was either 4/10 or 4/11 that the cruise started. We went to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel (not in that order). I've tried to get credit but I think I need to know the exact date. I did get credit for my 4-day in 1987 out of Fort Lauderdale - but I knew the date of that one thanks to this picture. Didn't have to send it though. 

MardiGras87.pdf

Edited by RhinoMomIL

My first cruise was also on the Mardi Gras in October 1977.  Rex was our cruise director too!  He was great!  If I remember correctly, he was from Wales.  I have a picture like the one posted,  and it might possibly be the same captain we had (I would have to find the picture to verify).

On 10/25/2021 at 5:22 AM, Wheels87 said:

So cool!

Cheers!

I went on the Mardi Gras in 1980 and also sent my picture with the waiter and got my 7 day credit and will be Platinum on my upcoming cruise thanks to that credit 🙌

Edited by NOLALADY

On 10/25/2021 at 3:22 AM, Wheels87 said:

So cool!

Cheers!

i did her in 1984, but I can't find ANY pics!! I want to use them for cruise credits also, it might get me out of the Gold Tier!

Ahh... the Mardi Gras!

In June 1976 I had a brand new high school diploma, a college scholarship letter tucked away and graduation cash for the bars. Seven nights, three ports including Nassau, St. Thomas and San Juan awaited my first journey at sea.

The dining room seating choices were made when you boarded. We had ten in my family, and the largest table was for eight. My cousin and I decided we would venture out and signed up at a table with six women's names. That meant some serious blow dry to the hair, a slather of Brut big enough to make a entire deck of passengers sick and bell bottoms were the order of dress for the first night.

When we arrived at our estrogen oasis we discovered not one woman at the table was under fifty-five. Now being over sixty that doesn't sting as much. The Baked Alaska was really cool, and one side note, aboard the Breeze last month they brought it back with flames and all!

mardi gras.jpg

Scan 3.jpg

• Like 1