Ancient Wonders Of The Black Sea. May 2022

woodcritic

Very interestinng wonder if it's  just a mistake. Are Saga generally increasing capacity as covid restrictions easennand this got added with all others, or is it purposefully  back on sale.

Interesting to keep an eye open see how many they sell if any

I will be understanding if /when they change intinerary.  But I  booked well before any thoughts of trouble in Black sea.  However anyone who books now would and should not be  understanding if intinerary changes days later and it doesn't go to the black sea.

Again as others have said this is of interest too everyone as it is about how Saga handle problems and communicate. 

Have just checked Saga’s website this morning and there are quite a few available cabins now which makes me think that there have been a lot of cancellations. There are no further changes to the itinerary at this stage so if anyone hears anything further please post here.

Interesting development with regard to the Saga website which was updated last night. Information on this cruise was unavailable for most of the evening but became accessible again in the early hours. Not only have 81 cabins suddenly become available but perhaps more importantly for us there have been no changes to the itinerary and there is no mention of visiting Limassol in Cyprus. I therefore presume that as Saga are advertising these 81 cabins on a Black Sea cruise with the current itinerary they have obviously decided not to change the itinerary in any way.  I personally feel that any cruise company taking the decision to advertise a cruise with an itinerary that might already have been changed, but not yet announced, would certainly be questionable. As to why Limassol Cruise Centre has published the fact that the Spirit of Adventure is due to visit Limassol on 7th June remains a mystery.

11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Tried to book but it wouldn't let me,  perhaps this is a mistake

Funnily enough I tried the same thing and the website allowed me to get to the final stages of  booking the cabin next to ours. I then "chickened out" as I didn't want to end up with two cabins. 

1 hour ago, Truro001 said:

Interesting development with regard to the Saga website which was updated last night. Information on this cruise was unavailable for most of the evening but became accessible again in the early hours. Not only have 81 cabins suddenly become available but perhaps more importantly for us there have been no changes to the itinerary and there is no mention of visiting Limassol in Cyprus. I therefore presume that as Saga are advertising these 81 cabins on a Black Sea cruise with the current itinerary they have obviously decided not to change the itinerary in any way.  I personally feel that any cruise company taking the decision to advertise a cruise with an itinerary that might already have been changed, but not yet announced, would certainly be questionable. As to why Limassol Cruise Centre has published the fact that the Spirit of Adventure is due to visit Limassol on 7th June remains a mystery.

Because there was a request for booking. There were also requests in Greece for additional port bookings but all these can change anytime as booking is not binding to a company. I mean if they change their mind they won't pay a penalty.

Interesting indeed. I guess the cabins may have become available because some cancelled at the point of final payment but very interesting that it is still being advertised as a Black Sea cruise. We shall see.

My guesses (and they ARE only guesses) are:

(a)  Limassol is showing the call as Saga have "booked" some back-up ports to cover changes.

(b) A ship registered in the UK and flying the Red Ensign is highly unlikely to visit anywhere near Ukraine, especially after the widely reported news that Mr P regards Britain, and specifically BJ, as his No.1 enemy. So actually getting anywhere much further than Istanbul is doubtful. Saga will only visit the Black Sea if they are 100% certain it will be safe for the ship, the crew and the passengers.

(c) Saga notify changes as late as possible for three reasons

1/ - maybe some passengers will anticipate and cancel, forfeiting the cancellation fee.

2/- those prepared to wait-it-out are more likely to accept a credit and leave the money with Saga.

3/.- for those who do not want a credit, Saga have traditionally been exemplary in the rapid and no-quibble refunds, so they want to be 100% certain they will not sail before cancelling.

Point 3 is based on previous experience, so if Saga continue (and I think they will) the same procedure, then anyone who does not want the revised itinerary will get their money back promptly, OR if you decide to roll it onto another cruise, Saga usually allow the same discount that you already have - i.e, if you booked with a 35% discount, then your replacement will have a 35% discount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I don't think staying in the South in Turkish waters,  200 miles away would pose danger. But on other hand, Saga may very well go with ultra caution. 

See post 86 from Summerinkefalonia.

Additional below.

It may well be fake news, but who wants to be the ones saying,  "It's O........."?

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-disposes-stray-naval-mine-floating-in-bosphorus-minister-172508

Spoke to Saga at length this morning. I mentioned that there are now a number of available cabins whereas previously the cruise was sold out but the lady I spoke to was not aware of the reason for this (different department).

She checked and double checked and confirmed that there are no further changes to the itinerary.

The ships booking that was registered at Limassol for 7th June has now disappeared and she agreed that this was just a precautionary backup.

She also reiterated that Saga would not enter the Black Sea if there was the slightest hint of danger and would cancel it.

8 minutes ago, Banjo an said:

As I explained the Saga rep went away and consulted the team and then quoted that there are no further changes planned.

Ive just checked and Spirit of Adventure is no longer registered to visit Limassol.

Ok I will come and say I told you after the changes! 😅

I still see it here:

https://limassolcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/limassolcruise/2022/03/Cruise-Schedule_2020_2021_2022.pdf

And now i see it also here (this was updated today specifically with the change of Spirit of Adventure):

https://www.olp.gr/en/services/cruise-terminal/item/download/8789_55c55b1d5d101fcd7cc6c9a63d62cca0

Anyways it's not the destinations only that make a great cruise. It's the people you are travelling with and the ship itself.

They will say there won't  be any changes to intinerary until the moment the  changes are announced.  It seems to be standard practice in most companies (and even government ) to deny any uncertainty and contingency planning until it happens. 

Wait and see , but it looks like it will go somewhere. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

They will say there won't  be any changes to intinerary until the moment the  changes are announced.  It seems to be standard practice in most companies (and even government ) to deny any uncertainty and contingency planning until it happens. 

Wait and see , but it looks like it will go somewhere. 

Exactly!