Smuggler's Beach in Tortola

skylar64

Smuggler's Cove is on the far North East coast of Tortola. I've been there many times but never when a cruise ship was in port, however I am told they do taxi a number of cruise passengers to the beach there.

The beach is a beautiful white sand crescent with a great view of Jost Van Dyke. Snorkeling is not great as most of the reef there is not in good shape. There is an abandoned and decaying remains of a hotel there where there used to be an "honor" bar but old Bob Dennison passed away and for the most part so did the bar. His son does open it occasionally I'm told. Most days there is a local fellow that sets up a small snack and bar concession under the palm trees and sometimes a person selling island type clothes.

From Road Town you can expect a half hour drive with the last part being over a very rough "road". If you are driving yourself be careful and remember to stay on the left. The last road will make you feel like you're lost so if you feel like that you're probably on the right track.:eek:

Vacationed on Tortola for a week a few years back and visited several beach areas. To me the the best of the bunch was Smugglers Cove. Abosolutely beautiful and virtually deserted when we were there.

Back then there was only one concession area that had gotten pretty wasted during a hurricaine - instead of re-building and re-opening the owner just turned it into a self-serve "honor system" concession.

There were rental chairs & umbrellas, plus a fridge with beer and soft drinks and a cigar box on what used to be the bar for you to drop your money into. No Joke ! The owner just dropped by a couple of times a day to refill the beer box and empty the cigar box ! It may be more civilized now but still a great beach with fair snorkeling. It was a bit tricky to get to back then over some unpaved stretchs of road but no real problem.

Smugglers Cove is located on the NW side of the island - heres some info on it :

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/smugglers_cove.html

fgtex is correct, I mistakenly said NE and it is NW, a senior moment:eek: As I said though, the honor bar is sadly gone since the owner passed away. It was just too cool to pick your drink from the various coolers and refridgeraters, pay your money and make your own change out of a cigar box. Sometimes the old days were better.

I agree with Pyrate13 and fgtex - Smuggler's Cove is one of the nicest and least crowded beaches on Tortola. Way, way laid back! The road to the beach is rough. I haven't been there recently and can't say what kind of facilities are currently available.

Yes, you can take a cab to Smuggler's. Arrange a return time with your driver and they will usually be there to take you. On cruise days you can often find jittney type cabs taking multiple cruisers.

Thanks Pyrate13!

I think that solves my "where to go" problem. We will go to Smugglers and like you said ask the driver to return for us as a certain time.

On other thing. Just in cast he forgets us, is there a place to call for a cab etc. while you are there. It sounds like a very long one back!

No telephones at Smuggler's but most of the cab drivers are very good at returning for their customers. If you happen to meet someone else from your ship that wants to go there with you then by all means do it, taxi's charge by the person for the most part and having more people to pay re-enforces their desire to return for you.

Friends that have been to Tortola more recently tell me the bar is now open more frequently and being run by Bob's (the original owner) grandson. However, the property has been sold and the bar will likely be closed in the near future as the new owners are planning to develop the area. Since everything runs on "island time" down there, this could take a while. :D

Archived