Cruising with Diabetes

sarlin

Hi,

I will be cruising in 2022 on the Apex and later on the Edge.  I cannot wait!

I recently got dx as a diabetic but haven't cruised since.  My question is how easy ( or difficult) is it to find foods to eat in the restaurants that are low carb/diabetic friendly?  We will be in an Aqua Spa Suite for one cruise and a Sky Suite for the other if that helps.  Do thry ever offer sugar free desserts?

Thanks so much,

Sarlin

Yes, there have always been a limited number of sugar free desserts offered, but usually spotted in the buffet.  You'll want to let your server know about your specific need in the dining room so that they can prepare for it.  You'll find them very accommodating. 

• Like 1

I have cruised as a diabetic for years with no issues. There is a place to provide dietary needs on the website or app but I’ve never needed to use it. I find sufficient choices with what is available but I avoid sugar substitutes. I actually find the sugar free desserts unpalatable and often higher calories. On request they will provide a sharp’s disposal container if you need one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very easy if you identify dietary needs up front...

Limited desserts, but doable, pastries not so much unless you meet the pastry chef and engage accordingly.

bon appetit and bon bon voyage

• Like 1

I try to follow a low carb diet and will usually ask for the carb element to be removed and substitute a salad - caesar or green - or just other vegetables instead. Nothing is too much trouble.

I am not a big dessert person and will often have cheese instead - this can be of variable quality and I find it has been the one area of weakness. Otherwise, there is little need to request anything up front unless you have any allergies.

• Like 1

I had no difficulty eating very low carb on Millenium in September - difficult was resisting the wonderful bread.  I was able to maintain eating less than 30 carbs a day without difficulty.  Have a great cruise.  We have sailed with DS who has been T1 diabetic since childhood and had no trouble keeping him happy as well.