Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

2 hours ago, WB57 said:

Hello - can someone confirm if Azamara performs a COVID Test 'mid-cruise' even if one is asymptomatic?  Or is it only at the beginning (prior to embarkation) and end (prior to disembarkation)?  Also, if the cruise starts and ends in the US - do they perform the test prior to disembarkation for 'all' - or only for folks that need a negative test to board their flight?  If the answer to this is cruise specific, I am inquiring for the possible Feb 3 Quest journey.  Thank you all in advance.

On Quest on the Dec 10 to 23rd cruise  out of  MIami - ALL passengers have to test negative at the pier to board the ship.  Azamara provides the testing.    Then there is a mid cruise test - in our case it was on day 4 since negative tests were needed to visit Barbados which was 3 days away.   Then , toward the end of the trip, anyone who needed a test for a flight to re-renter their country, either a PCR or rapid test - which ever was required - was provided free of charge.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PAtravelbug said:

On Quest on the Dec 10 to 23rd cruise  out of  MIami - ALL passengers have to test negative at the pier to board the ship.  Azamara provides the testing.    Then there is a mid cruise test - in our case it was on day 4 since negative tests were needed to visit Barbados which was 3 days away.   Then , toward the end of the trip, anyone who needed a test for a flight to re-renter their country, either a PCR or rapid test - which ever was required - was provided free of charge.  

Exact same approach taken on the Quest 23-Dec to 7-Jan cruise. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JWayne60 said:

Exact same approach taken on the Quest 23-Dec to 7-Jan cruise. 

Thanks for the info.  Quick follow-up...if one chooses to 'not get off' at a port that requires negative test, can you opt-out of the test?  Or does 'everyone' have to do the mid-cruise regardless if you plan to get off at a given port (e.g. Barbados)?  Thank you.

37 minutes ago, WB57 said:

Thanks for the info.  Quick follow-up...if one chooses to 'not get off' at a port that requires negative test, can you opt-out of the test?  Or does 'everyone' have to do the mid-cruise regardless if you plan to get off at a given port (e.g. Barbados)?  Thank you.

As far as I know, the mid cruise test was mandatory for all guests and crew, not optional… we were never asked whether we planned to get off the ship or not at a certain port. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JWayne60 said:

As far as I know, the mid cruise test was mandatory for all guests and crew, not optional… we were never asked whether we planned to get off the ship or not at a certain port. 

As it should be, for the protection of other passengers and the crew.  That anyone would want to duck the test worries me.  The more testing the better, as far as I'm concerned.  I want to see anyone contagious isolated ASAP.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Lesley Styles said:

We are on this cruise and have been told 171 and 180 guests.its definitely quiet. More crew than guests. All well so far. At Key West at the mo. Heard that 2 people couldn't board due to positive tests!

We appreciate your comments here.  I'm on the next cruise on the 23rd and wonder if you will get the experience you paid for and the ports you visit.  I know the food will be great but we expect more than just that.  I've got about a week and a half to decide whether to cancel or not.

3 hours ago, Rotenmutts said:

We appreciate your comments here.  I'm on the next cruise on the 23rd and wonder if you will get the experience you paid for and the ports you visit.  I know the food will be great but we expect more than just that.  I've got about a week and a half to decide whether to cancel or not.

Yes- everyone tests mid cruise.   

As for the experience. I suppose it depends on why you cruise.  We cruise for the experience of the ship.   We love to be on the ship and do so many things to make it special. On our cruise, we coukd not get off in Nevis, Dominica or st Lucia unless with a ships cruise. So we didn’t.  And we had a lovely time.   We did not want to take any risks ashore when we did go ashore so did not go into restaurants, taxis or close quarters places.   But we enjoyed some time in Thomas, the beach of st Maarten and the baths of virgin gorda (ships tour), a ships tour if Barbados.      The itinerary of the cruise changed many times in the lead up due to counties changing their policies-  we didn’t care- we just wanted to be on the cruise.   We have been on cruises in the past that have missed ports due to weather-  sad not to see a new place but we never mind another sea day.    We certainly got what  we paid for and probably more.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tortola changed their rules and in the end the 90 or so guests that got off were tested.the rest of us were not.

I was in Tortola twice.first time could go anywhere.

I would say do to our numbers 

each port is changing rules so fast that I would be careful on rules

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WB57 said:

Clarification on my previous response to this… as @Roel94 pointed out, when Tortola agreed to allow us to dock there (in place of San Juan, Puerto Rico), they would only allow “bubble” tours and only for passengers who tested negative for COVID 19 within a certain timeframe, therefore anyone who wanted to do one of the ship’s excursions was required to test the night before arrival in Tortola. So, I suppose it’s true that you could opt out of that test, by opting out of the excursions.  Fortunately, according to Captain, all ~90 passengers who took that test (and the excursions) tested negative.  Hope this makes sense. 

• Like 3

Okay, I said I'd try to give updates as we go for all of you and this is what I know at this time.  Testing at the pier for embarkation was quick and easy and was told everyone would be tested every 7 days.  We did stop yesterday at Key West as per regular scheduled with no problems (except 2 people being late getting back for planned boarding time).  We arrived at Cozumel today on time even though we had strong currents to buck getting here and expecting to leave at 10pm tonight as expected.

At last nights Captain's toast meeting, we were told that there are 160 passengers on board, although I got a breakdown at guest services this morning and it only adds up to 158 which might be explained by an earlier post that 2 people were apparently turned away at the pier for testing positive.  Here's the breakdown: 55% from USA, 27% from UK, 8% from Canada, 5% from Norway (Captain is originally from Norway), followed by individuals/couples from Austria, Denmark, Malaysia, Mexico, Switzerland, and Uganda.  71% are repeat Azamara cruises which I guess includes us although this is only our 2nd one.  I did meet at least 2 couples today whom are from the UK and this is their first time on Azamara.

The only known change to our itinerary currently is replacement of the Dominican Republic with Virgin Gorda which I know is not a problem for us, although we were looking forward to doing a whale watching tour at DR.

There are some crew and officer member changes coming up during the cruise and the replacements are already on board and going through quarantine protocols until they can start their duties upon completion.

We are definitely glad we are here on the cruise although it is a little weird with so few people on board.  Here's to another great 14 days until completion!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to say that they do not have the “beyond burger” on the Quest.  When I ordered it today I got the regular veggie burger. I inquired and the Dining room managers said they do not have the beyond burger.  Wish they had told me that when I ordered.

Staff is doing a great job, many activities.  With the low pax number (160) one benefit for the entertainment staff is there is only one show a night instead of the 3-4 they were doing last cruise.   Last night Captain told us that the DR, and Destination celebration is out, going to Virgin Gorda instead.  Also said that reduced dining venues is due to some staff still in isolation.  Tonight Windows is closed but Patio is expanded.  Fine with me as I prefer outdoor eating.  

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, Huntingdon1701 said:

On the Journey they are doing daily temperature checks and a mid-cruise Covid test for everyone. Can't answer about the US point. 

We embarked on the Journey on December 28th, 2021 and disembarked on January 8th, 2022.  We received a pre-embarkation COVID test and another COVID test the day before disembarkation.  There was no mid-cruise COVID test.  This was planned as we were told the COVID test schedule upon embarkation.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, futian said:

Just noticed that it looks as if Journey has missed its last 2 ports of call in the Canaries.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know the reason for this? 

The first missed port was El Hierro.   The Captain announced before departure from La Palma, that high winds prevented safe passage to El Hierro so we remained in La Palma for a second day and new excursions were offered for that day.  The second port missed was La Gomera.  High winds prevented docking in La Gomera so that port was replaced with an at sea day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leo_On_Geo said:

Sorry to say that they do not have the “beyond burger” on the Quest.  When I ordered it today I got the regular veggie burger. I inquired and the Dining room managers said they do not have the beyond burger.  Wish they had told me that when I ordered.

Staff is doing a great job, many activities.  With the low pax number (160) one benefit for the entertainment staff is there is only one show a night instead of the 3-4 they were doing last cruise.   Last night Captain told us that the DR, and Destination celebration is out, going to Virgin Gorda instead.  Also said that reduced dining venues is due to some staff still in isolation.  Tonight Windows is closed but Patio is expanded.  Fine with me as I prefer outdoor eating.  

Wonder where they went! To my knowledge I had two.

hard to plan an event around covid.

I saw the same one three times and singers had to be replace.

also Windows was never closed so I am guess lack of crew.

patio was open most nights and with music.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mihusker said:

Okay, I said I'd try to give updates as we go for all of you and this is what I know at this time.  Testing at the pier for embarkation was quick and easy and was told everyone would be tested every 7 days.  We did stop yesterday at Key West as per regular scheduled with no problems (except 2 people being late getting back for planned boarding time).  We arrived at Cozumel today on time even though we had strong currents to buck getting here and expecting to leave at 10pm tonight as expected.

At last nights Captain's toast meeting, we were told that there are 160 passengers on board, although I got a breakdown at guest services this morning and it only adds up to 158 which might be explained by an earlier post that 2 people were apparently turned away at the pier for testing positive.  Here's the breakdown: 55% from USA, 27% from UK, 8% from Canada, 5% from Norway (Captain is originally from Norway), followed by individuals/couples from Austria, Denmark, Malaysia, Mexico, Switzerland, and Uganda.  71% are repeat Azamara cruises which I guess includes us although this is only our 2nd one.  I did meet at least 2 couples today whom are from the UK and this is their first time on Azamara.

The only known change to our itinerary currently is replacement of the Dominican Republic with Virgin Gorda which I know is not a problem for us, although we were looking forward to doing a whale watching tour at DR.

There are some crew and officer member changes coming up during the cruise and the replacements are already on board and going through quarantine protocols until they can start their duties upon completion.

We are definitely glad we are here on the cruise although it is a little weird with so few people on board.  Here's to another great 14 days until completion!

Thanks for the detailed update. We were originally booked for the 4 B2Bs that would have circumvented South America. When the last 3 legs were canceled and then this leg changed, we debated canceling it too. We ended up keeping it - with one of the deciding ports being DR. But after the last voyage’s COVID issues, we debated quite a while, before finally canceling (could not chance being isolated to a non-balcony room). I hope you continue to have a safe and enjoyable cruise. 

Of course I debated canceling this cruise.  About forty other passengers did cancel the January 7th cruise at the last minute. So if you cancel you will mostly likely have company.  I will ask about how many are on the next cruise.  Currently I feel very safe with the conditions.  Crew have told me last cruise with Over 500 pax was a bit too much with the omicron.  There are a number of crew still isolating from exposure and due to their recent arrivals.   Today I had a haircut and the staff member was late due to “a random antigen test”.  So I feel they are keeping on top.  Prior to the last cruise only one staff member had tested positive.  We must remember the positivity rate of Florida is about 30%, and the Quest was about 6%. 

The Captain’s noon announcement told us that we will be missing Cartagena, but adding Bonaire.  Columbia, as someone else stated, requires PCR test of all passengers and staff, even if not disembarking .  The Quest can process about four PCR tests in 45 minutes, so it would take four days to complete the task.  I am Ok with the change but I imagine some will be disappointed.  

So far I am happy and satisfied.  I will continue to report.

Lisa

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, travelordie said:

We embarked on the Journey on December 28th, 2021 and disembarked on January 8th, 2022.  We received a pre-embarkation COVID test and another COVID test the day before disembarkation.  There was no mid-cruise COVID test.  This was planned as we were told the COVID test schedule upon embarkation.

They must have updated it after you got off then. Perhaps in response to the infection numbers on Quest.