New Joy booking questions

Hi everyone, we are thinking of booking on Joy Dec 18th for a 5 day cruise before the holidays and wanted to ask a few questions.  We have been on NCL, but its been a while and it looks like some things have changed.

Is there a big difference between a balcony and a club balcony suite? We read some priority restaurant bookings, better linens, etc but didn't see anything that really jumped out at us as a must have.  Maybe bigger cabins?

Are the cruises at full capacity or are they still sailing less than full?  Not a dealbreaker for us, just curious.

The last NCL cruise were on, Epic, had some service issues.  I guess they were short staffed because they just got back from the Europe itinerary. It was also pre pandemic so im wondering how the service is these days with all of the labor shortages? We're by no means expecting perfection and know that things will be different, but we would like to be able to get a drink at the bar in less than 30 min which is what our average on Epic was at some bars...

Thanks in advance for the info.  Looking forward to getting back out there and the prices are great right now.  

Club Balcony gets you a larger bathroom with either an upgraded shower or a tub, depending on the cabin. You’ll also get canapés delivered to your cabin (i received them twice on my 7-day cruise), a free laundry service, and the opportunity to make restaurant/show reservations 5 days earlier than the other non-Haven guests. 

It’s nice enough but I’d only book another one if the price differential is tiny. The larger bathroom is the biggest draw but as a solo cruiser it’s a bit excessive (although I do enjoy that shower).

FWIW, I’ve been on Encore and Bliss this year, both for the first return-to-service sailings. I didn’t notice any downgrade in service but I also went in with realistic expectations knowing that the crews are still ramping up and things will not be smooth. Everyone I dealt with was wonderful!

The room size will be same between the balcony and club room. For us, the bigger shower is why we book club rooms (as we get older and less flexible, the extra shower space is nice). 

The ships are not booked full. The capacity is currently limited by lack of interest. While NCL has been sailing in the 50%-60% range, many Royal cruises are down in the 30%’s. 

We have been on three cruises this year and have had a wonderful time on each. Less crowds and wonderful service. 

Thank you both for the info and keeping my fingers crossed that it will only be 50-60% full.  I cant remember a cruise we have been on that hasnt been booked to capacity.  

thanks again

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The room size will be same between the balcony and club room.

OP: You really should rely on NCL's website for your answers instead of misleading opinions, e.g.,

Club Balcony Suite:
Total Approx. Size: 249-361 sq. ft.
Balcony Size: 42-101 sq. ft.

Balcony Cabin:
Total Approx. Size: 214-367 sq. ft.
Balcony Size: 38-108 sq. ft.

It very much depends upon which cabin you book.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The capacity is currently limited by lack of interest.

Actually the available capacity is 100%, but for a whole variety of reasons (not just interest) the bookings are closer to half-capacity, e.g., COVID-19 concerns, CDC rules, port availability, pricing, etc.

The Joy has not yet returned to service (21 November first paying passenger cruise).  That being said, capacity should be  60% or less.

Service should be excellent beacuse the crew will be delighted in having passengers again.

Enjoy

19 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

The Joy has not yet returned to service (21 November first paying passenger cruise).  That being said, capacity should be  60% or less.

Service should be excellent beacuse the crew will be delighted in having passengers again.

Enjoy

Why do you say 21 instead of when we board on Nov 20?

16 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Enjoy

Even 60% would be a gift.  We usually cruise with our kids meaning prime travel season, summer, holidays, etc. so to see a ship not at full capacity will be a treat.