Changes to On Board Covid Testing - Updated 10 November

RemPuck

While looking for something else related to my December Wind Surf trip, I noticed a big red box on my reservation: "Check for Covid 19 Updates." Clicking it took me to the usual Covid information page: https://www.windstarcruises.com/health-safety/overview/

On the right side, it clearly shows an update from today (10th).  The critical part is in the middle and bottom.  Quoting the middle below:

On some cruises additional COVID tests may be needed in select ports of call during the cruise to meet local regulatory requirements. Windstar will provide these tests for our guests’ convenience, and this cost will be added to each guest’s shipboard account, $69 per antigen test and $135 per PCR test. In order to provide peace of mind to our guests, the maximum charge per guest will be $249 per person, per sailing (or $199 per person, per segment on Collectors and back to back sailings) to comply with these local testing requirements even if the number of tests required exceeds this pricing.

They also go on to state that antigen ($69/pp) and PCR ($135/pp) tests can be purchased at the end of a voyage if needed to return home (such as flying back to the US or Canada).

It's still really confusing to figure out what's required for which ports as many of the islands talk more about arrival by air than by sea.  Windstar's Caribbean season restarts in a few weeks (we board December 18th) and it will be interesting to see what more changes.  There are no changes to the list of countries where DIY exploration is allowed (Portugal, Tahiti, Greece, Croatia, Spain, Gibraltar, and Costa Rica).

Sadly sign of the times. Who knows??? My husband could never leave the ship. Swimming in salt water is good for my soul. I love to go to a beach. We are  wait and see times.As I said on the other forum it all depends on what the islands have for regulations. I know about the two tests given at the end of the cruise to get back in, I think we only need the $69 test to enter the US. I  am happy to be going. See you on the ship. Happy Sailing

I was looking for information about testing on Windstar’s website yesterday. I saw the same language but without pricing. It is convenient to have it done on the ship before flying home.

I wonder what happens if someone tests positive along the way or even on embarkation day. I did not find language about refunds, pro-rated credit, or any kind of assistance. 

Now more than ever, it is important to purchase appropriate travel insurance and understand how it works so there are no nasty surprises in case you have to use it.

Edited by Babr

When in the Med Center to get one of the on board tests, I asked the doctor what happens if someone tests positive on board. He said they don't know because it's up to the local authorities to decide.

For a pre-boarding test, I expect you can't board if you test positive and you probably get quarantined at a hotel.

For the 10-day round trip from Athens, we were tested on board twice: 3rd day & 9th day to meet Greek rules. For the next leg, 8-day Athens to Barcelona, we were tested on the 3rd day (not clear if that was due to Greek requirements or because the next ports were in Italy) and tested on shore after departing. The test in Spain was the least comfortable - they push the swab in pretty far. The other tests were easy.

Windstar at first thought that the testers in Spain wouldn't give us paperwork to use for going home, but we did get it.

The testing was free for our cruise. Under the new policy, I guess we would be charged for 3 tests as the last test wasn't done by Windstar.

4 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

When in the Med Center to get one of the on board tests, I asked the doctor what happens if someone tests positive on board. He said they don't know because it's up to the local authorities to decide.

For a pre-boarding test, I expect you can't board if you test positive and you probably get quarantined at a hotel.

That is what I thought based on other instances I’ve read about here on CC. Sometimes the government pays for the quarantine. Other times the major cruise lines have paid the expenses; nevertheless, I intend to be prepared with travel insurance.

The other side of it  is what Windstar does regarding your cruise fare.  Once again, the major cruise lines have stated policies about refunds in case of a positive test. I have seen little from Windstar except a cancellation policy that expires early next year.

I’m not sure how insurance would handle an asymptomatic positive test that would result in denied boarding and quarantine. I know a claim requires a doctor’s confirmation which could be a problem in a port city. Perhaps the ship’s medical department would provide the necessary documentation.

Still several questions to ask before buying insurance and setting sail.

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the Legend, Athens to Lisbon.

Tested at boarding - no charge

Tested when before entering Italy - no charge

Maybe one for Spain (can't remember) - no charge

Tested when before entering Funchal (1st top in Portugal) - no charge

Tested the day before Lisbon - no charge (They said Portugal had just changed the rules).

Tested at our request morning of arrival in Lisbon to meet the 72 hour requirement. Not booked before the trip but scheduled it at the medial center on board, very eary. As requested we arrived at 7am, were tested immediately and the results (a very formal looking document from the Doctor) was on our door within 20 minutes. Antigen, $49pp which was on our final bill.  This was accepted by United online (within minutes!) and not requested at the Lisbon airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Legend after the Trans-atlantic. Testing without charge on boarding (I boarded in BCN). Testing provided without charge in Gibraltar (required for the ship to dock). 

We were charged in Barbados - Antigen testing was $69 and PCR was $89. The US was accepting the antigen test, Canada was requiring the PCR. Testing was available both the day before docking and very early that morning as well.

Do check the current entry requirements. They changed for the US again on 6 Dec requiring testing within ONE CALENDAR DAY (not 24 hours) which can be a challenge if you are transiting on the way to somewhere else.... In my case, flight delays due to weather (origin to Barbados flight) meant that I arrived in Toronto after the US customs had closed for the night. To avoid having to find and pay for another test, I had to stay in the airport.... not a particularly fun time

-Holly