Just back from Tauck Egypt: Jewels of the Nile - Oberoi Zahra (October 2021)

Lotusgirl22

Last week, we returned from a wonderful, dream come true, Egypt trip.  We booked the trip pre-COVID, and I am glad we did not cancel.  It was our first trip since before the pandemic, and we shared the anxieties many are feeling as travel resumes.  We flew Lufthansa from Chicago to Frankfurt and then to Cairo. The ticket agent at O'Hare examined the CDC card and the all important negative COVID test (our's with QR code).  Lufthansa required surgical or KN95 masks. Upon arrival in Cairo, upon disembarking the plane, there were two health check lines. The official was examined the Lab Report only.  Eight of our group of 24 were on the same flight.  Next, the Tauck rep greeted us and affixed the visa stamps to our passports (Tauck takes care of getting the visa). Then we breezed through immigration and were taken by bus, through crazy traffic, to the beautiful Marriott Mena House , where we had pyramid view rooms.  What a thrill to see those pyramids.  We had arrived a day early, and the next day we enjoyed the Mena House and its pool area and exercise facilities and very good food. There is a bank on the property, where we exchanged some money.

The first full day of touring was incredible. The pyramids, camel ride, Sphinx and an Egyptian lunch. In the afternoon, we went to Saqqara, where we visited the pyramid tomb of Teti and two Mastaba tombs (noblemen). Then we went to see the Step Pyramid.

The next morning, we flew to Luxor very early. We had second breakfast at the Winter Palace. Then, we boarded the Oberoi Zahra for the cruise portion of the tour.  The boat is beautiful, the rooms comfortable and spacious, the food excellent and the service and friendliness of the staff outstanding.  That afternoon, after lunch on the boat, we headed for the Valley of the Queens, stopping at the Colossi of Memnon first.  Then we visited Queen Nefetari's beautiful tomb. We were the sole group there, and split of into groups of 12 to visit the tomb. Then, after a picture stop at Hatshepsut Temple, we went for our nighttime visit to the Valley of the Kings.  Again, we were the sole group there. We visited 4 tombs, including King Tut's.  Quite a memorable day.

During the next 3 days on the Nile, we visited Karnak and Luxor Temples, the Temples of Edfu and Kom Ombu, St. Simone Monastery, the Temple of Philae and had a wonderful sunset felucca sail.  We enjoyed the boat, particularly the pool, where we could cool off and watch the Nile River.  We were sorry to have to move on.

We next had an early morning flight to Abu Sibel, where we visited the Temples of Ramses II and Nefetari. Upon our return to Aswan, we stopped at the High Dam.  Then we headed for the Old Cataract Hotel for a one night stay in suites overlooking the Nile River.  We had time for a refreshing swim and sunset cocktail. I would have loved another night at this historic hotel, where Agatha Christie had stayed, and wrote Death on the Nile.

The next morning, we flew back to Cairo, had lunch at the Ritz Carlton on Tahrir Square and then walked over to the Egyptian Museum for a fascinating tour.  We then checked into the St. Regis Hotel for a 2 night stay - new and very nice.  We enjoyed the pool there too! That evening, we had our PCR tests in anticipation of our return home. They were $130 each.  The next day we visited the Coptic Cairo - the Hanging Church and the Cavern Church and then two Mosques. Very interesting and enjoyable. We received our PCR test results that evening at the goodbye cocktail party.

We had two outstanding Egyptologists with us for the tour - one for Cairo and the other for Upper Egypt - the Nile cruise, etc. They really enhanced the whole experience.

Our negative test results were carefully checked at the Lufthansa counter in Cairo and again before boarding the plane. Upon landing in Frankfort, German police boarded the plane and removed a woman who had refused masking instructions. Then immediately upon debarking the plane in small groups, police carefully checked our passports and lab reports.  The lab reports were checked at one other security screening area.  

I would be happy to answer any questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We will. board the Zahra next month, and I would be grateful for information about your experience with typical dress for dinner.     On an ocean cruise, I will usually wear a dress for dinner, but with luggage restrictions on our trip, I am not sure that this will be practical.  Will my husband be fine with a collared polo and khaki trousers?  Thanks for any help.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your report! We'll be on this cruise during our Tauck tour in May 2023. They contacted us today about an upgrade on the ship to a suite. If we are spending most days off the ship, I'm not sure if we'll do an upgrade. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

With Tauck, are you part of a small group (how many?) or was your guide a private guide for you only?

Also, we like the idea of the Oberoi Zahra (774 ft) in part because of its private mooring.     Is this important?    I have read that on smaller ships (236 ft), they are "rafted" very often.    

Thanks for any information you can provide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, uwis66 said:

Before you decided on Tauck, did you consider A&K or Viking or another tour company?      What made you choose Tauck?    

Sorry for the delayed answer. We had wanted to go to Egypt for a very long time. I researched a lot, including best riverboat on the Nile. Did not consider A & K. We have taken two Viking cruises, but I wanted a smaller group and a higher end experience. We have taken quite a few Tauck tours, and thought they would fit the bill. We were very pleased.

• Thanks 1