NCL Dawn: Baltic June 2022 (Port Experience/Advice)

tlc1972

After a ton of back and forth over the past two months, debating between a week-long river cruise down the Rhine or a Baltic ocean cruise...I'm now heavily leaning towards NCL Dawn for a Baltic cruise itinerary in June 2022. 

Totally different experiences, I'm sure...but I think the ocean cruise will be easier for my elderly mother (who's pretty mobile, thank you to a new knee!) and it's looking to be more affordable, even when you consider the addition for excursions and specialty dining. Plus I know NCL and believe it will be much more casual than most of the River lines. 

This Baltic itinerary is a little different than most, as it skips St Petersburg and adds in Poland (Gdynia), Lithuania (Klaipeda), Latvia (Riga), and Estonia (Tallin) instead. Does anyone have experience in any of those ports? We're looking to get some of that medieval town/village experience with a lunch and drinks, but the current list of excursions is pretty light and vague on details. It's difficult to find a Baltic cruise under 9 nights and one that skips St Petersburg, but I don't want my mom to miss out on some old world charm (she's never been to Europe!).

I've been on NCL Escape and Bliss, with Encore booked in October 2022 - all are within the Haven. I know Dawn is a smaller ship and doesn't include a Haven area, but it appears that there are some comparable amenities in the suites (butler/concierge, breakfast and lunch in specialty restaurant, etc.). Totally fine for our needs, as Dawn is almost half the passengers as the Breakaway class ships. But Dawn also has fairly mixed reviews, everything from poor food to mechanical issues to a confusing layout. In the end, itinerary and ports are more important, but I'd still want to come back to decent food and a running ship! 😁

-We're looking to get some of that medieval town/village experience with a lunch and drinks,-

then you will love Tallinn, the Old Town there

the churches you see at the right is the old town from the cruise port

IMG_9774.thumb.jpg.f0fbcad39b11a7661472701eee2056d1.jpg

old town

IMG_8853.thumb.JPG.e85698294feabe5ab35f128bfc912685.JPG

IMG_8897.thumb.JPG.f277cf47152b4375f30461ad5e20271a.JPG

IMG_8885.thumb.JPG.2c8bc3827dd6aa68253036960d52b263.JPG

there are many Restaurants.

Outside the old town Tallin is a modern city with shoping Malls etc.

Hopp on hopp off coaches are there too, there are many things you can visit.

Warnemünde should a port at your cruise too. many cruisers go to Berlin but it is a long ride.

Warnemünde itself is a lovely small city with a huge beach and many Restaurants. 

IMG_0021.thumb.jpg.aefc7fcb199d1bbf11b755dd2206fede.jpg

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.ad27da58c39cdddbe55cc582c0073a12.jpg

at both cities i was many times, at the others not.

i like Baltic cruises very much.

here you find more information to the ports there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

this year not all Ports welcomes cruise ships because of covid, not sure about next year ( warnemünde and Tallinn welcome them, the Poland ports not so many )

Estonia is fantastic for a medieval experience. Be sure to book a lunch reservation at Old Honsa for the full experience. Beware though, your mom may have trouble on the cobblestone streets walking. You can take a taxi easily, though. If she wants to do some walking, the advice we received that is extremely helpful, is to take the taxi from the ship to the top of Old Town, and then walk down from there. 

I couldn’t tell by what you said if you are happy that St. Petersburg is not on the itinerary or not, but I cannot imagine doing a Baltic cruise without St. Petersburg. It is absolutely fascinating and so vastly unique. Regardless, I’d cruise to nowhere right now, so whatever you do, have a blast with your mom!

St Petersburg is certainly a highlight of Baltic cruises, but sometimes comments about the cruise make it sound as if that is the only port that matters, and the rest aren't of any note. That couldn't be more wrong. Some of the best cruise ports in the world are in the Baltics, and in my opinion, Tallinn and Riga re two of the best places to visit anywhere.

Gdynia and Klaipeda are also excellent destinations. If you are looking for that medieval town feel then all of those ports will do that job.

We have done a few Baltic Cruises, and are planning another for 2024. We will certainly be doing the alternative itineraries (currently done by the Dawn) over the standard 9 day Copenhagen round trip which misses those smaller ports. I do agree that missing St Petersburg would be a shame if you haven't been before, but for us now there are other ports that are more important. I would certainly miss Riga and Tallinn more than St Petersburg.

They are great ports just to walk round, find a bar or restaurant, and just enjoy being there. In Gdynia then you can easily get into Gdansk (we also visited a nearly concentration camp before going into Gdansk), and whilst Klaipeda is a fairly small town it had a lot of sculptures that re fun to find and we also did a brewery tour which was excellent.

Don't think of these ports as being lesser places to visit. They would be a highlight of many cruises.

• Thanks 1

Of these ports I've only been to Tallinn, but it is delightful and there is absolutely no need to use a guide. As Sheff99 said, get a taxi to take you to the top of the hill and work your way down at your own pace.  One other bit of advice; it's a little town and most of the time there are several ships in port, so it really is in your best interest to start your day just after you dock.  The town does start to "fill up" by about noon, but if you start early by then you'll be ready for lunch and can either walk or grab a cab back to the ship.