Caribbean Quarantine

Mrs Wally

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes we do expect better!  Maybe we should all reply to say we are having to consider our options with regard to their admission they know there's no cover and in those circumstances whether we feel we can take the risk with them and are consequently looking at their rivals who do offer an assurance.

Regarding social media perhaps those who are on it could threaten to publish their admission as well. Certainly I would be considering this after all this time.

I'll get back on chasing on Monday.

This is clearly their latest blanket reply.

I am not sure that you will get anything better than what is being offered. I appreciate we would all like certainty about 'insurance' cover, but as Moley said weeks ago, Carnival would be concerned that putting anything in writing about guaranteeing to cover passengers costs if insurance fails, would probably result in the insurance companies doing their best to avoid paying for anything.

I wonder if the other cruise lines you quote as giving such guarantees, have actually put it into their T&Cs, or are only offering a similar fallback position to P&O.

I note that Carnival shares have dropped about £2 today due to this new Covid variant. For P&O or for that matter any cruise line to not put peoples minds at rest with regards to how passengers would find themselves should they or their partner or companion traveller be treated should they fall victim of Covid is absolute folly. Not only will this put off anyone travelling now but also in future. Who knows how long this pandemic will continue. It appears that variants will appear again and again. The cruise industry needs to, if they don't already, get a serious grip on things as do the insurance companies.

I'm thinking that this is the policy they decided on at their meeting last week - that each case is treated individually.  

Of course, there's no clarity for the passenger, If they tested negative but were offloaded as a close contact of a positive case, they are basically relying on the goodwill of P&O to find in their favour.

I'd be stressed enough to be offloaded, but to have to go through a no doubt lengthy and tortuous process with P&O to try and reclaim out of pocket expenses, would be very trying and cause a lot more anxiety, especially as P&O would have no obligation to pay me a penny. 

In short, I wouldn't be prepared to travel on that basis.

My next cruise is actually with Cunard. I will e mail them and see what they say. But I expect it's a blanket Carnival policy. I have a feeling I will end up moving my May 2022 cruise, again. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I am not sure that you will get anything better than what is being offered. I appreciate we would all like certainty about 'insurance' cover, but as Moley said weeks ago, Carnival would be concerned that putting anything in writing about guaranteeing to cover passengers costs if insurance fails, would probably result in the insurance companies doing their best to avoid paying for anything.

I wonder if the other cruise lines you quote as giving such guarantees, have actually put it into their T&Cs, or are only offering a similar fallback position to P&O.

It is in their terms and conditions and forms part of their published protocols.

By stating to customers that they are aware they are requesting them to take a financial uninsurable risk P&O are very much leaving themselves open to a PR catastrophe if passengers choose to contact the right people.  If indeed it has been decided to leave it as it is, it will only take a couple of people to contact the "right channels" (tabloid newspapers etc) and they will be drowning in worried customers with forward bookings.  At the moment they have only those who cant get out of it by the short wotsits but those who've not parted with their cash should be in a far stronger position.

New variant on the horizon, disgruntled passengers ... if I was the CEO I'd not rock the boat too much by letting the horses bolt before I shut the door so to speak.

Besides this speaking to a lawyer friend he tends to think asking people to sail without guaranteed protection as it's not insurable borders on a void of contracts because they are being asked to take a risk that is not in the original contract.  The point made was the cruise line insists on insurance being purchased by the passenger and yet they are aware that 99% of the policies would fail on this issue.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 5

On 11/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, Megabear2 said:

The learning curve has been deep but at the moment P&O are not doing so bad.  Given a choice I'd definitely go with them or Cunard over Fred and Marella because of the 2ay the passengers are being treated. My TA confirmed that to me yesterday as well.  I'm sure it will be great, don't worry.

Megabear, could you elaborate a little on this regarding Marella, as we have a cruise booked with them soon. Have Marella off-loaded 'close contact' passengers, and not been given financial help?

I cannot confirm this personally. However my travel agent reportedly did have a client offloaded in Spain as a close contact and said they were not being helpful.  There is also a post on the now closed Covid on Iona board. It's not specifically about offloading but is interesting.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2805842-covid-on-iona/page/35/

Halfway down Robynarchroy post #873

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Megabear2 said:

It is in their terms and conditions and forms part of their published protocols.

By stating to customers that they are aware they are requesting them to take a financial uninsurable risk P&O are very much leaving themselves open to a PR catastrophe if passengers choose to contact the right people.  If indeed it has been decided to leave it as it is, it will only take a couple of people to contact the "right channels" (tabloid newspapers etc) and they will be drowning in worried customers with forward bookings.  At the moment they have only those who cant get out of it by the short wotsits but those who've not parted with their cash should be in a far stronger position.

New variant on the horizon, disgruntled passengers ... if I was the CEO I'd not rock the boat too much by letting the horses bolt before I shut the door so to speak.

Besides this speaking to a lawyer friend he tends to think asking people to sail without guaranteed protection as it's not insurable borders on a void of contracts because they are being asked to take a risk that is not in the original contract.  The point made was the cruise line insists on insurance being purchased by the passenger and yet they are aware that 99% of the policies would fail on this issue.

Hi Megabear2, I’ve been following along for a number of weeks regarding this situation, I spoke to Swanseasailor’s OH via Facebook a while back also. I was dead sure they would come back with better response than they have, this would be my first cruise, I’m taking along my mother and brother as I have complex health needs, I took out the “Gold” holiday extras package as I wanted to ensure I’m totally covered for all eventualities and shouldn’t have any problems going with the recommended insurance firm, and sadly it seems this definitely isn’t the case. 
All one can assume with this new variant is more people are going to fall into this uninsured void with more testing being required, which is an awful position for P&O to put their customers in. I hope they do try to figure this out, or it’s likely going to make it to the media, which would be problematic for them as you stated, have you head anymore from them?

Also I’ve specifically joined Cruise critic to thank you for your persistence in chasing this matter, I and many others truly appreciate it, I don’t really know how to use this forum, and I just hope I’m replying to you correctly, apologies to all if I’m not.  

• Like 3

Hi....welcome to the forum....I hope you find it very helpful

I would just like to make you aware that the forum " supervisors" don't like other media sites being mentioned by name and that sometimes posts are removed so if your post disappears please re post but please don't name other media sites.

• Like 1

Just noticed a post else where of a Lady being quarantined as people she was sharing a table with tested positive.  She mentions the Captain wanted to remove her but Dr went against this.  She doesn't seem to be very impressed with P&O's protocols, after being on MSC and Princess earlier in year.  Just gone back on to read thread and it has disappeared 🤔

14 hours ago, Hysteria247 said:

Hi Megabear2, I’ve been following along for a number of weeks regarding this situation, I spoke to Swanseasailor’s OH via Facebook a while back also. I was dead sure they would come back with better response than they have, this would be my first cruise, I’m taking along my mother and brother as I have complex health needs, I took out the “Gold” holiday extras package as I wanted to ensure I’m totally covered for all eventualities and shouldn’t have any problems going with the recommended insurance firm, and sadly it seems this definitely isn’t the case. 
All one can assume with this new variant is more people are going to fall into this uninsured void with more testing being required, which is an awful position for P&O to put their customers in. I hope they do try to figure this out, or it’s likely going to make it to the media, which would be problematic for them as you stated, have you head anymore from them?

Also I’ve specifically joined Cruise critic to thank you for your persistence in chasing this matter, I and many others truly appreciate it, I don’t really know how to use this forum, and I just hope I’m replying to you correctly, apologies to all if I’m not.  

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad you have found my information raising awareness on the insurance issue helpful.  I am still discussing things with P&O but basically the information they have provided is that no passengers have been out of pocket as a result of being offloaded.  As long as your purchased insurance meets their criteria (which yours most certainly does) if problems are encountered with offloading you will be assisted.  What is meant by case by case has arisen due the different ways insurance companies have reacted. Some have accepted full responsibility immediately, some have agreed partial settlement and some have refused any claim liability at all.  I have no idea which companies fall into which category I'm afraid.  However the important thing is not to stress about the costs involved.  We have been assured that if passengers offloaded with negative tests have insurance policies which do not cover them P&O will assist and as stated no one will be out of pocket.

There have been very few incidents on P&O since restart but wherever possible close contacts of positive testers have been kept on board in quarantine cabins.  It is only some limited ports insisting of debarking and these are beyond the cruise line's control and I do feel therefore, that you need not worry too much about this insurance aspect. 

Regarding your complex health needs I am sure P&O would take these into account if you found yourself in difficulty.  The only thing you would need to consider is that quarantine either on or off the ship most likely would mean isolation away from all other people including your support team.  As long as you would be comfortable with this and discuss it with all concerned you should be fine.  

You do not say when and where you are travelling to/from. One thing that many posters on the boards with health conditions or disabilities are seriously considering is if they are able or would want to fly in the event of being offloaded. This is of course something only you and your travelling companions can decide on.  Please do bear in mind when considering this issue that you would almost certainly be offloaded if you test positive for Covid, particularly in light of your health conditions as P&O would want to ensure your safety.

It is, I appreciate, an extremely stressful time with all these new variants and a bombardment of information from lots of different sources, including from me!  Please ignore the constant stream of those looking to scaremonger in newspapers and particularly on social media.  Once you have weighed up how you feel and your options be it moving to a different date in the future (P&O are now booking into early 2024 so plenty of options available if you feel more comfortable doing that) or going ahead with your current plans you will I'm sure have a wonderful cruise.

I see it's your first, you'll find them quite addictive!

3 hours ago, PEMCO007 said:

Just noticed a post else where of a Lady being quarantined as people she was sharing a table with tested positive.  She mentions the Captain wanted to remove her but Dr went against this.  She doesn't seem to be very impressed with P&O's protocols, after being on MSC and Princess earlier in year.  Just gone back on to read thread and it has disappeared 🤔

After MSC with the Virtuosa fiasco?!!!

There are indeed people quarantined onboard Iona at present - I'm uncertain how many. There were also 4 passengers taken off in Palma unwell. 

I'm interested in which part of the protocols she thinks Princess and MSC did better.  I was on Princess myself in August and their protocols were more or less mirrors of the ones I experienced on Britannia in July, all very good. I am a little worried about the table sharing creeping in as this has caused problems on Fred and Marella and is something I had not expected.

All information is gladly received as I am still liaising on these issues. Many thanks.

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There are indeed people quarantined onboard Iona at present - I'm uncertain how many. There were also 4 passengers taken off in Palma unwell. 

I'm interested in which part of the protocols she thinks Princess and MSC did better.  I was on Princess myself in August and their protocols were more or less mirrors of the ones I experienced on Britannia in July, all very good. I am a little worried about the table sharing creeping in as this has caused problems on Fred and Marella and is something I had not expected.

All information is gladly received as I am still liaising on these issues. Many thanks.

Just Reading a report in a Daily paper about an outbreak on The Norwegian Breakaway in New Orleans.

the headlines are a bit over the top. But it seems reports of outbreaks are beginning to get some media attention,

10 minutes ago, Swanseasailor said:

Just Reading a report in a Daily paper about an outbreak on The Norwegian Breakaway in New Orleans.

the headlines are a bit over the top. But it seems reports of outbreaks are beginning to get some media attention,

Yes, it's an interesting one. Apparently one South African crew member had Omicron.  There is a lot of media attention to it in the States because of Omicron's involvement.  NCL are a strange animal in the Covid era. Passengers have to be fully vaccinated and are tested onboard 48 hours after getting on. No masks have to be worn anywhere on the ship.

They are also one of the lines who accept no responsibility for negative offloaded guests.  I actually have a cruise booked with them for late September next year and they will not engage on the topic at all. 

I noted from CNN the following which I found interesting:

"Any guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 will travel by personal vehicle to their personal residence or self-isolate in accommodations provided by the company."

The company providing accommodations is new, they've had other cases and it didn't happem

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

"Any guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 will travel by personal vehicle to their personal residence or self-isolate in accommodations provided by the company."

The company providing accommodations is new, they've had other cases and it didn't happem

Hi Megabear2 if I remember you mentioned a PR disaster waiting in the wings, it may or may not be that Omicron is highly transmittable so it may only be a matter of time before much bigger outbreaks occur. While I have a fully paid P and O cruise in Feb which may or may not sail. Any Media attention will help to focus Cruise companies in assisting passengers in need of help.   

1 minute ago, Swanseasailor said:

Hi Megabear2 if I remember you mentioned a PR disaster waiting in the wings, it may or may not be that Omicron is highly transmittable so it may only be a matter of time before much bigger outbreaks occur. While I have a fully paid P and O cruise in Feb which may or may not sail. Any Media attention will help to focus Cruise companies in assisting passengers in need of help.   

Might I be so bold as to ask which cruise in February as myself and wife are on one as well .

There's a thread on the Norwegian Cruise line area of the forum regarding what happened yesterday.

The thread is now long  & rambling, but the gist of it is -

10 cases were found onboard, later increased to 17 cases. At least one, a crew member is believed to be Omicron.

The passengers waited for hours in the New Orleans cruise terminal while NCL and the CDC were in meetings. The go ahead was given to sail. Passengers were given a letter to explain the situation  (somebody called it a waiver) and passengers were given the choice to sail or cancel and get their money back.

From news reports that I've seen, the Omicron crew member  remains on board, I assume in isolation.  Given what is believed to be the highly infectious nature of Omicron, it remains to be seen if this was a good idea,

From what I've gleaned, mask wearing was not required on the last cruise, but is required for this cruise which sailed in the early hours of this morning.

I think this next cruise is one to monitor, to see what happens next 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

There's a thread on the Norwegian Cruise line area of the forum regarding what happened yesterday.

The thread is now long  & rambling, but the gist of it is -

10 cases were found onboard, later increased to 17 cases. At least one, a crew member is believed to be Omicron.

The passengers waited for hours in the New Orleans cruise terminal while NCL and the CDC were in meetings. The go ahead was given to sail. Passengers were given a letter to explain the situation  (somebody called it a waiver) and passengers were given the choice to sail or cancel and get their money back.

From news reports that I've seen, the Omicron crew member  remains on board, I assume in isolation.  Given what is believed to be the highly infectious nature of Omicron, it remains to be seen if this was a good idea,

From what I've gleaned, mask wearing was not required on the last cruise, but is required for this cruise which sailed in the early hours of this morning.

I think this next cruise is one to monitor, to see what happens next 

It’s certainly interesting to see how the cruise lines adapt to the new strain. It would be a big blow for the industry to cancel any more cruises.

It’s amazing how varied the rules are across the lines. Celebrity and NCL not enforcing masks, Royal and P&O are. The Celebrity/Royal split is interesting considering they are both owned by Royal!

We have a Celebrity cruise booked out of Ft Lauderdale in February. We need a test before hand, but it can be PCR or LFT. I wonder if they will change this at all.  

P&O are pretty good with their protocols, and I wonder if other lines will follow suit to keep the cruises going.

We are meant to be joining the Azura on Christmas Day. No correspondence from P&O so far regarding the new variant and their plans, we had a cancelled port that we were only informed of days after it disappeared from the cruise planner. If they cancel with only a few days notice I will be extremely upset and they will have lost me as a customer. Their customer service has been atrocious over the past few months. 

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Swanseasailor said:

Hi Megabear2 if I remember you mentioned a PR disaster waiting in the wings, it may or may not be that Omicron is highly transmittable so it may only be a matter of time before much bigger outbreaks occur. While I have a fully paid P and O cruise in Feb which may or may not sail. Any Media attention will help to focus Cruise companies in assisting passengers in need of 

I assume you've seen the story in the British press?  I heard of it through my Palm Beach friends.  There are, as we know, a whole raft of small outbreaks on US ships regularly, partly due to non vaccination. This one is causing a stir due to possible Omicron involvement.  As Dermotsgirl says the one to watch is the current cruise.  I'm assuming the staff member is in isolation and will be well monitored - he's almost a guinea pig.

Regarding media attention, there's nothing bad they can report about P&O as they appear to be looking after people well and supporting. Reports of bad treatment on Marella might have a different outcome. All in all, so far with fingers crossed, it's going rather well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My thoughts exactly.  I am wondering, as the other two cruises went swimmingly they had no cause to complain! The post is back, however comments have been stopped.  Will report if any more news comes to light. x

• Like 1

15 hours ago, janny444 said:

Hi....welcome to the forum....I hope you find it very helpful

I would just like to make you aware that the forum " supervisors" don't like other media sites being mentioned by name and that sometimes posts are removed so if your post disappears please re post but please don't name other media sites.

Thank you Janny for the welcome, I’ve tried to edit my post but I don’t think I can, I shall ensure I won’t name drop social media sites, thank you for the heads up.