January sailing on the Gem

shelnj18

We've just gotten notification for final payment on our cruise out of New York the end of January on the Gem. We are excited but anxious too! Both of us, along with our friends, have been vaccinated and received boosters.  Just need some reassurance from some people who have cruised recently. Were people wearing masks when indoors? Were indoor venues set up to accommodate social distancing? How about excursions? I haven't told my family we are going yet and I want to be able to answer their questions. Any other thoughts that you have would be most appreciated. 

Edited by shelnj18

We were on the Breakaway out of NY two weeks ago.  Masks were not required on the ship, except for staff/crew, and most guests did not wear masks.  (I wore one in the theatre, but I was in a small minority.)  There was no social distancing, including indoors.  However, the ship was only at 38% capacity, so it was possible to avoid others in most places if you wanted to.  

All that said, all guests had to fully vaccinated per NCL policy, as you know.  Also, this was a cruise to Bermuda, which means that, per Bermuda's requirements, all guests had to have a PCR test four days before sailing, as well as the antigen test NCL requires at the pier, plus another PCR test at the pier as required by Bermuda.  While there is no place that is 100% safe, this was probably as safe a bubble as you could probably find right now.  (The Gem won't be sailing to Bermuda, so you won't have the benefit of those PCR tests.)  

In terms of shore excursions, I think mask-wearing will depend on where you are.  Bermuda required everyone to be masked on buses and indoors. 

We had a fabulous time. 

The Gem is a wonderful ship.  I hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by Turtles06

I was on the Gem last month on a Caribbean cruise from Miami. No masks on the ship. 😁

Self-serve buffet, great food and shows. It was just like 2019, except for the crew wearing masks.

We did have to wear masks when we went ashore...well...most of the time. 😉

The Gem was in great shape. I had no complaints, which is rare.

3 hours ago, shelnj18 said:

We've just gotten notification for final payment on our cruise out of New York the end of January on the Gem. We are excited but anxious too! Both of us, along with our friends, have been vaccinated and received boosters.  Just need some reassurance from some people who have cruised recently. Were people wearing masks when indoors? Were indoor venues set up to accommodate social distancing? How about excursions? I haven't told my family we are going yet and I want to be able to answer their questions. Any other thoughts that you have would be most appreciated. 

@shelnj18: If you want to know what the onboard conditions are like on NCL, all you need to do is review the cruise line's website.  See: https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe.  That is your best source of information, IMHO.