Tell me about the line

bethtex

was looking at some itineraries in Europe for 2023 (specifically itineraries that include Monaco Grand Prix)

never heard of this line before and very interested.

It seems a little like the old Windjammer line, but more upscale? 

looking on the website hard to tell what is included.  Are tips/gratuities included?  if not, how much is standard per day?

I read another review that alcohol is not included - are sodas?

Does the cruise line offer excursions or is it all on your own?

What size are the beds?  we are tall and a double bed won't work.  If two twins pushed together, that is a queen bed and is ok.  

We have sailed a lot on Carnival, some on Celebrity and a Silverseas trip to Antarctica (so not their normal type of cruise).  We did several Windjammers and were on a ship in Costa Rica when the company shut down.  We like a more casual atmosphere and more active excursions (hiking, walking tours, snorkeling).

looking forward to hearing everyone's experience on this line.

Just finished the Cannes to Lisbon and am happy to answer your questions as best I can.  For reference, my experience is primarily with Windstar, Star Clipper, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

It seems a little like the old Windjammer line, but more upscale?   I am fairly certain it is more upscale than Windjammer.  I would suspect somewhere between the upscale (Windstar) and salty cruise (Windjammer).  

looking on the website hard to tell what is included.  Are tips/gratuities included?  if not, how much is standard per day?  Tips/gratuities are not generally included except that was one of the specials for our cruise.  I believe the recommended is about 8E per person/per day.  

I read another review that alcohol is not included - are sodas?  Alcohol and sodas not included and no option to buy package.  Although, the drinks are very reasonably prices (about 4E for wine and a $5 drink special each day).

Does the cruise line offer excursions or is it all on your own?  They do offer excursions but I would say that they are not the most interesting.  Most guests just do their own thing.  I found that the itinerary is less predictable so I am less comfortable making too many plans that are not flexible.

What size are the beds?  we are tall and a double bed won't work.  If two twins pushed together, that is a queen bed and is ok.  They say double bed but we found it to be more like a queen size bed.  Our bed was not two twins pushed together.  Our bed was against the wall on one side.

We did a windjammer years ago..... ABSOLUTELY no comparison.  These three ships are purpose built to be cruise ships.  Marble bathrooms in each stateroom, good AC, large comfortable 2 story dining room, GREAT food (And mostly locally sourced)  2 full bars, and lots of comfortable lounging areas. 

Yes, you pay for drinks.  (All drinks, soda and booze) 

Yes they do have shore excursions, but as the previous poster noted they are pretty bland.   

Edited by FredT

On 11/15/2021 at 10:55 PM, bethtex said:

looking on the website hard to tell what is included.  Are tips/gratuities included? 

bethtex,

Pull down the "Specials" from the top bar.  You will see some sailings that have gratuities included, some onboard credits, airline discounts, hotel discounts, free excursions, military and Boat US discounts, etc.  Just a heads up, not many Star Clipper passengers use Cruise Critic.  We have found the Star Clipper passengers to be a very interesting and very well traveled group of international folks.

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely NOT like Windjammer. As one of the SC captains told me (in comparing SC to Windstar), the hotel on Windstar is somewhat better, and the sailing experience on SC  is better. I agree with this and I've been on multiple cruises on both lines.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Looking forward to our 8th Star Flyer/Star Clipper cruise in October from Malta to St. Maarten. This one is 5 weeks long, so you can see how much we love them, especially the Westbound crossings with TONS of sailing.

No, you do not have to do any sailing work unless you want to volunteer to help with minor things. We generally do a few ship shore excursions and do a few last minute things like Free Walking Tours on our own. Though the ship tries to stay on an exact time schedule, this is not always possible so don't book an expensive independent tour where you can't get a refund.

Two best things, in my book, about Star Clipper cruises are the sailing and the interesting passengers who are attracted to this sort of cruising. Lots of fun meeting people from all over the world!