Just back from 2 weeks on Symphony - questions? Ask away!

18 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

@Cayman Turtleno solarium bistro open for dinner??! I thought it was open and free of charge for dinner, argh  

I counted Solarium Bistro as a specialty restaurant, although I probably shouldn't since it is a free of charge location. They close at 9 pm most nights.

7 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

What time did disembarkation begin / conclude ?

Thank you

Self assist started at 7:15 am and the last tags were called at 9:15am. If you purchase the airport transfers the early one is at 8 am and the late one is at 9 am.

1 minute ago, Cayman Turtle said:

Self assist started at 7:15 am and the last tags were called at 9:15am. If you purchase the airport transfers the early one is at 8 am and the late one is at 9 am.

Thanks. Currently trying to decide with booking a flight departing MIA at 1046am after our sailing in January! If we were off at that time it'd be no issue.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, Cayman Turtle said:

Loved the ship. She sailed at 42% capacity the first week and we didn't see many kids at all. Saw a few more the second week when she sailed closer to 50% capacity, but really not that many considering the size of the ship and that these were 7 night cruises which tend to be more family focused. Compared to Allure, she is pretty much the same. Same feel, with a few different venues, at least from when I sailed her last. Though the boardwalk seemed busier and louder, even with the reduced number of pax.

The night life wasn't hopping, probably because of the low number of passengers. The DJ played each night in the Attic until about 1 am or so. We were there over Halloween so they had a Monster Mash Dance Party that started at 10:00 pm. There were two HUSH Silent Dance Parties each week and a RED Nightclub Experience each week as well. Boleros usually had a band playing well into the wee hours and there always seemed to be a crowd there dancing. Dazzles also had a band most nights with dancing and although I didn't go, I think the Jazz club had live music later into the evenings as well.

Are you able to provide the actual passenger numbers versus percentages? Asking because some people are quoting percentages based on double occupancy wholevothers are quoting based on max capacity. For me, tye actual numbers are helpful. I will be sailing on Symphony for the first time in 3 weeks, woohoo!  Thanks so much! 

18 hours ago, blueslily said:

Are you able to provide the actual passenger numbers versus percentages? Asking because some people are quoting percentages based on double occupancy wholevothers are quoting based on max capacity. For me, tye actual numbers are helpful. I will be sailing on Symphony for the first time in 3 weeks, woohoo!  Thanks so much! 

I don't know the numbers unfortunately. It was the D+ concierge who looked it up on his computer and told us 42% capacity. I took it to mean that 42% of the available beds were taken, not actual rooms, since some rooms can house more than 2 people. 

36 minutes ago, gsarnow said:

Solarium Bistro…I booked it for a cruise next month and it said that the price was $0.00….

Does that mean that it is free or a la carte? Someone above posted prices…

There may be some up charge options, like in the MDR, but the basic menu is free. 

9 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

If windjammer is open for dinner does solarium bistro become a paid restaurant again? I thought it was traditionally an upcharge. 

Very unlikely. I think there was a short period where there was a charge there , but it has been an included venue for quite some time. There are a few upcharge items. 

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Very unlikely. I think there was a short period where there was a charge there , but it has been an included venue for quite some time. There are a few upcharge items. 

I thought I read somewhere that the whole rationale for it being free post-COVID was to alleviate some of the crowding in the MDR for people who wanted to do my time dining and also to generally just spread out the crowds

On 11/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, Maitaivegas said:

What do you suggest I do to be able to stay on till last call to leave? I am spending an extra day in Miami so I will be homeless till late afternoon.

I’m not planning on walking around Miami.

TIA

You can stay on board until the last tag number is called, regardless of what your tag number is. The numbers called are only to let you know the bags that are currently available in the terminal. I have stayed until the very end when the staff start going around saying it's time to go. Another option is to book a shore excursion with Royal. They take care of your bags and then do an airport drop off at the end of the tour. Depending on your hotel, there may be a complimentary hotel shuttle that will pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:16 PM, marktwothousand said:

@Cayman Turtledo you happen to remember what kind of plug sockets there were in staterooms? I usually like to bring a couple European adapters with me for my US electronics so that I can use more plugs in the wall without needing an extension cord. I also like to travel with a heating pad, Would you recommend an extension cord?

As stated, extension cords aren't allowed.

I'm currently on Symphony.

This is the electrical panel above the vanity/desk.

SYvanity.thumb.jpg.5ae7927fee8758320847d1e3f1b0dd20.jpg

This is the area next to the bed (just one one side).  The switch turns off the whole-room lights, so you don't have to turn them off at the door and then stumble to bed in the dark.

SYbedside.thumb.jpg.4d208ac2b98c1ad1fd354b415e0c27b5.jpg

And this is what I use next to the bed, so I can charge my phone and run my USB fan at the same time. It covers the switch quite a bit, but I can still poke my finger behind it to turn off the lights. 

SYbedsideplug.thumb.jpg.eaf8ee9066e15b700d1500995b63f8a6.jpg

On 11/19/2021 at 5:19 PM, Maitaivegas said:

What do you suggest I do to be able to stay on till last call to leave? I am spending an extra day in Miami so I will be homeless till late afternoon.

I’m not planning on walking around Miami.

TIA

I got off Freedom on Friday and wasn't getting on Symphony until Saturday.  Had a room booked at the Hilton Blue Lagoon, so I took a taxi there and checked my big bags with the Concierge to hold until my room was ready.  The front desk gave me the wifi code, and I hung out in the lounge by the bar until check-in at 4:00.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I got off Freedom on Friday and wasn't getting on Symphony until Saturday.  Had a room booked at the Hilton Blue Lagoon, so I took a taxi there and checked my big bags with the Concierge to hold until my room was ready.  The front desk gave me the wifi code, and I hung out in the lounge by the bar until check-in at 4:00.  

Thanks for that, I figure since it’s Sunday I will drop off my suitcase and have a long brunch. Trying to find a place with a spa or I might go see a movie .

On 11/17/2021 at 7:30 AM, Cayman Turtle said:

There were two USB ports, two North American outlets and one European outlet at the desk area. There was also a North American outlet at one of the bed side tables, which is a nice addition that I haven't seen on other ships. The bathroom also has an outlet meant for shavers which could probably be used for hair dryers but I didn't think to try it. I don't think you'll need an extension cord and Biker19 is correct - I believe it states in the cruise contract that they are not allowed.