Unlimited wifi package question

DeeAlsh13

Hello everyone! I'm thinking of purchasing a wifi package for my cruise on the Jade in a couple of weeks and realized it was pretty expensive for what it says it offered. The only way I'd consider paying is if that price tag includes facetime calls. I tried asking Norwegian directly and didn't get a clear answer, so I thought I'd ask all you lovely people here. 

If not facetime, do you know of any other internet calling apps we could use on the wifi package? It's a long cruise and we would like to have at least one phone be able to contact family. Also, would facetime usability differ from the unlimited and the unlimited premium packages? 

I hope my questions are clear. Thanks in advance! 

15 minutes ago, DeeAlsh13 said:

If not facetime, do you know of any other internet calling apps we could use on the wifi package? It's a long cruise and we would like to have at least one phone be able to contact family.

I don't have facetime but I have used Whatsapp (video calling), Snapchat and Wifi calling on my phone (I use Google Duo video calling) 

1 minute ago, firstimecruiseronncl said:

I don't have facetime but I have used Whatsapp (video calling), Snapchat and Wifi calling on my phone (I use Google Duo video calling) 

Was this on the unlimited package? or unlimited premium?

(Classic) Skype video & audio calling, like Google's Duo/Meet/Voice, FB's Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat and iOS Facetime all worked for us, just fine - you do NOT need the unlimited premium package as that's mainly "sold" to cruisers planning to live stream and hog up much of the bandwidth by gaining access to the http/ftp ports.  For optimal results if the connections lags and suffered from high latency & buffering, is to clear the cache & step down from HD/720p or 1080p to 480p or even 360p over video.  We actually only kept to and use the 250 free (and time/MB limited) plans + 60 minutes + extras while at sea for 14 days on the Escape 3 years ago, and did just fine - hi resolution pix uploaded & posted just fine, videos will take extra time (as expected)  

Whenever near/in range of and in non-domestic ports near land towers - we used 4G/LTE data to our advantage ... can't wait for that extra boost on 5G covered in our plans.  

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

(Classic) Skype video & audio calling, like Google's Duo/Meet/Voice, FB's Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat and iOS Facetime all worked for us, just fine - you do NOT need the unlimited premium package as that's mainly "sold" to cruisers planning to live stream and hog up much of the bandwidth by gaining access to the http/ftp ports.  For optimal results if the connections lags and suffered from high latency & buffering, is to clear the cache & step down from HD/720p or 1080p to 480p or even 360p over video.  We actually only kept to and use the 250 free (and time/MB limited) plans + 60 minutes + extras while at sea for 14 days on the Escape 3 years ago, and did just fine - hi resolution pix uploaded & posted just fine, videos will take extra time (as expected)  

Whenever near/in range of and in non-domestic ports near land towers - we used 4G/LTE data to our advantage ... can't wait for that extra boost on 5G covered in our plans.  

Awesome, I think this covered all my questions. 

one final inquiry, does the wifi still work when we are docked? or only while at sea? I know there will be certain days where we will remain onboard and I would still like to be able to use wifi instead of paying extra international roaming fees. 

Yes, WiFi stayed on while docked (this was true pre-pandemic while docked at a # of Caribbean, Mexico ports and NCL's own private islands (GSC & HC) as well as during our stops on the New England/Canada sailing ... of course, YMMV.  Ship's cellular tower are supposed to be switched off within x miles of shore signal.

WiFi stayed active & live as they need to provide inTRAnet access to keep those NCL mobile apps running & working onboard ... and, I have yet to run into issues with the WiFi inTERnet being turned off while docked or anchored just off shore (Caymen Islands)  It was helpful to be able to use it when we are on the "backside" & shore's cellular signal is somewhat weak, even when we sit out on the balcony ... unless we move to the open/upper deck & find those sweet & quiet spots (with a nice & soft lounger).  

Enjoy - tips: bring your own USB powerbank as finding an outlet for a quick boost/charge isn't always easy.  Have a great one - we simply love those mid-size ships, just right for us.  

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Enjoy - tips: bring your own USB powerbank as finding an outlet for a quick boost/charge isn't always easy.  Have a great one - we simply love those mid-size ships, just right for us.

Thank you so much mking8288! Looking forward to this trip. 

15 hours ago, a1betpr said:

Anyone know if you can upgrade one device to unlimited and use that device as a hotspot for everyone in the cabin? Seems like that would work...

Most devices can't connect to WiFi AND broadcast WiFi at the same time.  "Hotspot" is usually sharing of the internet from a cellular connection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a1betpr said:

Ahhh, yeah, that's a good point.  Rats.  

Most mobile devices, including laptops & tablets, don't have an extra transceiver (radio) to relay and re-broadcast that in-bound cellular or WiFi signal, change/mask the SSiD and clone the "MAC" address to hide it, and complete the path for the MiFi or hotspot signal - it also, reduce the bandwidth b/c of duplexing (2 way data traffic/signal).  It can be done, there are a limited number of TP-Link (and other reputable brands) standalone, portable wired/wireless routers that have these integrated functions and IC chips, with proper configuration, to get the job done.  I carry one in my travel mobile gadget pouch and it worked best via an ethernet connection to a Sony Viao notebook PC, which also has its own hotspot function - but, if the inbound WiFi signal isn't fast enough & reliable with low latency and packet errors, then it isn't worth it for streaming video and a live call could suddenly dropped, annoying at a minimum.  

Last time that I did this was when we're docked in Mexico and got a solid 4G/LTE roaming signal (our data rates are cheap, inexpensive - Google Fi @ $10 for 1GB used) near the balcony, and ran it (cellular to PC to portable WiFi router to devices) for several hours - notebook PC, spouse's iPad and 2 smartphone sharing it.  That session cost less than $10 & plenty of photos upgraded at full resolutions.  No way that is possible over NCL's Cellular At Sea satellite connections at 3G/4G speed.