Quick trip report Adventure of the Seas

We sailed out of Galveston last Friday for 5 nights on Adventure of the Seas.  Our primary purpose for this trip was R and R which we were able to accomplish.  

Pre cruise we drove and stayed at the Tremont in Galveston.  It was a great way to start a cruise.  Because it was a weeknight accommodations were reasonable and we got a corner Jr. Suite.  It was huge, comfortable with a bathroom and powder room.  We love this old grand hotel.  We walked to Willy G,s for happy hour snacks and drinks and then came back to the Tremont lobby for live music, more drinks and an adult version of a lunchable.  We cruise out of Galveston again in July but sadly a small room is over $400 that night so we will stay near Houston.  We highly recommend the Tremont if your budget allows.

Boarding was simple.  We did show our emed paperwork and vaccine cards 3 times.  There was absolutely no suite line but it wasn’t a big deal as we just kept walking until we got to the ship.  We boarded, because of a suite, about 30 min before our assigned check in time.

We checked in at Giovanni’s and made reservations for Chops and Giovanni’s for the first and second nights with BOGO.  We then headed into the windjammer for a quick bite to eat.  Hand washing stations are there and you must check in and out with your card.  Since I don’t always carry mine, (DH carries for me), I found this a bit annoying but understand it for crowd control.  Only one side of the windjammer was ever open.  It was not open in the evening at all.  Rooms were open before 2 and we dropped off our luggage and went for our first of many included D+ drinks.

We had splurged for an owners suite.  It was huge for a cruise ship, tons of storage, very clean and ours was well kept.  We really enjoyed our room and spent more time then usual in it.  While the balcony on this ship is smaller then then the grand suite we found it adequate. The suite lounge is very nice.  Rafael and Jen took good care of us. 

Dining- we didn’t step foot in the MDR.  First time for us.  The cruise was so short.  The third night we dined in our room which just comfortable and quick.  The last 2 nights we did Izumi.  First we did the set price, 3 course and the last night we went back and did ala carte.  Every meal was good.  We did breakfast in Giovanni’s 2 mornings and found the service to be attentive, food was good.  Lunch was always from the windjammer.  We like to take ours out and sit by the solarium pool.  

We did not get off the ship in Costa Maya. Instead we enjoyed the hot tub while most were on shore.   We took a catamaran in Cozumel and did not go past the pier or into any shops.  The catamaran was okay.  We wanted an outdoor excursion that didn’t involve a bus or cab.  The water was rough that day so snorkeling wasn’t great.  The beach was private which was good but too short of a time. There were inflatables in the water.  Drinks were included but question if there was any alcohol in the margarita. And I’m a lightweight.  

Royals entertainment was great as far as production shows and ice show.  Excellent really.  We think because of the reduced capacity there were less things to do in the evening.  There was more down time then usual between shows and game shows.  Live music as usual was excellent.  We were told we were at about 50%.  

We felt pretty safe on board from covid.  There were people and kids who didn’t think the rules applied to them in halls, elevators and the promenade.  The 4 people to an elevator suggestion wasn’t followed.  We did follow the rules, we didn’t let a mask hurt our fun and tried to social distance from those who didn’t want to follow the rules.  The most crowding is right after a show.  Either wait a while until everyone leaves or take the stairs quickly after a show if crowds bother you right now.  

We were so glad to go, to be on the ocean again, to see happy crew, eat in a restaurant where the waiters wore a mask and just enjoy ourselves again. It was all over way to quickly.  We can’t wait to go again in February on Odyssey.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Cruiselvr04,

We were also on the cruise with you, and agree 100% with your review & comments. We're like-minded with respect to covid protocols, and felt pretty safe but we were annoyed with those who felt that rules don't apply to them.  We enjoyed the forward sundeck on Deck 13, very few people up there and a huge amount of open space.

• Like 1

Thanks Cruiselvr04.  We are on the Friday cruise leaving on Nov 26th.  Nice to hear some of the comments.  Hoping the crowds are limited.  We have dinner at chops and will book Giovanni's when we get on board.  You said Giovanni's was open for Breakfast? How does that work, and how did you like it? 

How did you feel about the ports, safe to explore, or just stay on the ship?

Thanks for the review and your insight. 

We were also on this cruise and agree with just about all of your review Cruiselvr04.  Our check-in experience was very different, however. We made it through the first and second checkpoints and finally got to an agent when everything stalled. The agent told us we had to go to shore services, which was another line around the other side of the check in area. When we asked why, his response was "maybe you got upgraded". Not likely, but ok...

After waiting in another line for 20 minutes, we made it to the agent, who told us we owed $240. I knew we did not, and showed him our paid invoice. He asked if maybe we bought anything online. Again, I knew we had been charged for our UDP separately, and questioned if maybe the Royal Up bid had been accepted and we hadn't been told. No, our cabin was still the same. After 10 minutes of this, he told us to sign the form and go to Guest Services on board and they would take care of it. Surprised that they had no idea what to do, we signed and boarded the ship.

Now, getting on board is one of my favorite parts of sailing, but this time we were aggravated and didn't even get to enjoy the feeling. (Fortunately this was not our first cruise since COVID, so we had already had that feeling). We went to Guest Services where we waited in line again (apparently we weren't the only ones with issues) and the lovely Anne Li helped us. Or tried to... She had no idea and asked in the inner office and told us they would check into it and get back to us. They didn't, and the next day we had an additional $240 charge on our account. When we went back to Anne Li at Guest Services she very nicely told us that when they called shoreside in Miami it was already after 5PM and they had closed! They'll check and get back to us. Later that day I noticed the charges were no longer on my account and we had a copy of that account and the card of the Guest Services manager in our door, with no explanation and no apology for the inconvenience. Oh well, didn't cost us anything but we really had an issue with the way the whole boarding process was handled. Why send us to another agent, only to tell us to figure it out on board??

As for the service and food, both were excellent. We ate in Izumi on the first night and Giovanni's the other four and had great food and great service. We had lunch in Chops on both sea days and they were outstanding.

I was surprised how lax everyone was about masks and following protocols, compared to our cruise on Independence at the end of September. Perhaps it was that they added over 1000 passengers to this cruise following the first one the week before? Who knows? According to Tornado Tanya there were only 70 passengers under the age of 18, so we cannot blame the kids.

Entertainment was fantastic. The Adventure of the Seas orchestra was outstanding and the dancers were absolutely wonderful. We also enjoyed the ice show, which surprised us with how great the skaters were.

We went to Maya Chan in Costa Maya, which is our go to excursion there. Great people, food and drinks. Went to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, which is also our usual there and it was wonderful as always.

Honestly, I don't think we will sail over a weekend again on one of these short cruises. Just felt that it wasn't for us. Luckily we are retired and can do weekday cruises. 

Next up for us is a four night on Navigator out of LA. It will be the fourth cruise for them and wondering what the protocols will be.