Accepted Antigen tests for Canadians?

DHLuCruise

We are taking a cruise (4 of us) at end of December on Anthem of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

We know we will need Antigen tests.

As an aside: We're still split on driving or flying but are leaning to driving to give us a bit more flexibility in case of a positive result (however unlikely) upon return. 

I have a few points so pardon the added structure:

- We are located in the Greater Toronto Area

- We are wondering what antigen tests are accepted by Royal Caribbean (Are there different kinds?). 

- Would Shoppers Drug Mart antigen tests work?

- Lets say we decided to drive, do you still recommend something like Shoppers Drug Mart on the Canadian side or are there better options in the US? We will be travelling through NY State to get to Port Liberty in NJ. 

Thanks for your time in advance!

Edited by DHLuCruise

A rapid antigen test from SDM is fine, as would a rapid antigen test from Walmart, Costco, Rexall or any of the many other Canadian companies offering tests these days. Prices vary quite a bit, so look around. You could also get tested in the US, very possibly free of charge, but personally I don't think that it would be worth the effort of finding a place in the US. Besides, it would be far better to get a positive test here than on the other side of the border and all of the complications trying to drive back into Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fouremco is quite correct on all of his points.  I really don't have anything new to add except to say that we are going on our first cruise in Jan (from Baltimore) and we also live in the GTA.  We are driving as well so we are in a similar situation.  Assuming all the testing requirements stay the same (a big assumption) we are going to get tested here in Canada before we leave.  Sure we likely can get tested stateside and likely even for free but for us it isn't worth the unknowns going that route.  We have traveled internationally twice in the past few months and have dealt with testing and I can say firsthand that getting tested via SDM is easy, quick and not overly expensive.  Now we won't be using SDM this time as they have proved they have no attention to detail and screw up the forms you get with your results, but now their are many other locations to get tested.  Given that your port is so close to the GTA then your drive will be short like ours so if I were in your shoes I'd get tested before you leave.  

Walmart or Costco are options now.  As well as the Switch Health kits that are done at home.  I know many, many have used SDM without issue but we have an awful experience with them as have a few others that I have read.  SDM will be perfectly fine, just ensure you go over the details on the results form with a fine toothed comb to look for their mistakes (DOB etc).  All the best.

17 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Just remember that the test must be done 2 days (or less) before embarkation - so plan accordingly! 🙂

Thank you for the reminder! Luckily its generically '2 days' and not '48 hours' which makes grabbing the test a bit easier.

Our plan would be to get our tests on Wednesday morning for the Friday cruise in December. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, willing292 said:

Im having difficulty buying RCI’s test, as although i have a us address, the florida zip code does not match the zip code on my canadian credit card.  Suggestions?

Can you phone the credit card company or bank and explain the problem?  

I copied this from the rccl site for what needs to be on the test receipt regardless which pharmacy does it ...  

Another poster mentioned issues when they handed in test results that was handwritten, wrong date of birth..

Can see missing full name as an issue ...

you must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes:

• provider name, (probably address and DOB...that was not mentioned on rccl site)
  • your name
  • the date the test was taken
  • type of test
  • and your negative result

•  This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification.

• Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, DHLuCruise said:

We are taking a cruise (4 of us) at end of December on Anthem of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

We know we will need Antigen tests.

As an aside: We're still split on driving or flying but are leaning to driving to give us a bit more flexibility in case of a positive result (however unlikely) upon return. 

I have a few points so pardon the added structure:

- We are located in the Greater Toronto Area

- We are wondering what antigen tests are accepted by Royal Caribbean (Are there different kinds?). 

- Would Shoppers Drug Mart antigen tests work?

- Lets say we decided to drive, do you still recommend something like Shoppers Drug Mart on the Canadian side or are there better options in the US? We will be travelling through NY State to get to Port Liberty in NJ. 

Thanks for your time in advance!

medionerx.com has several pharmacies in the GTA and are offering antigen tests for $24.99 through December 31st (I have heard Costco's are $16.99 and Walmart's $20 but can't vouch for that). I've personally had 2 antigen tests done thru medionerx.com and have had no issues with them. I have read a couple of negative stories from SDM, including one colleague who looked at her test when she got home and noted it said the tests results were time stamped before she even had her test done, so be sure to read it before you leave the store if you use them! 

12 hours ago, Johnny60 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Switch Health home kits are a acceptable on Carnival?  Thanks 

I answered you in another posting, but the website  unitedcruises.cruisehelp.com has extensive information regarding Carnival’s policies for Covid testing.  It interests me as well because I have a Carnival cruise booked, but not until November 2022.  I’m really hoping that no tests are needed at that time.   

Thanks all for the feedback. We've booked our antigen test for end of December using DM6 labs (https://www.dm6labs.com/) based in different locations in the Toronto area. Their site was really friendly and easy to book far out. They asked me ahead of time for name as it appears on my passport, passport number, dob, and address before even letting me book through the portal.

They cater to both workplaces and travelers so I feel confident they know what they are doing.

• Thanks 1