NCL Air and when you or your luggage miss the boatin the Covid Era

FloatingAces

Given that NCL's site says you cannot board at the next port if you miss the boat, what happens if you use NCL air and the flight/airport transfer is late and you miss the boat?  Does NCL refund your money and/or assist you with booking a return flight home or are you left at the dock thinking "now what?"

Secondly, if you make the cruise, but your luggage misconnects and does not make it, is the airlines able to forward it and load it at the next port?  I'm particularly thinking about a Alaska cruise in which I'm boarding in Vancouver and the luggage would need to go into Alaska.

Happy cruising all,

5 minutes ago, FloatingAces said:

Given that NCL's site says you cannot board at the next port if you miss the boat, what happens if you use NCL air and the flight/airport transfer is late and you miss the boat?  Does NCL refund your money and/or assist you with booking a return flight home or are you left at the dock thinking "now what?"

Secondly, if you make the cruise, but your luggage misconnects and does not make it, is the airlines able to forward it and load it at the next port?  I'm particularly thinking about a Alaska cruise in which I'm boarding in Vancouver and the luggage would need to go into Alaska.

Happy cruising all,

There are good reasons that many/most don't use NCL air and fly in the day before.

If it is NCL scheduled flights/transfers, they monitor the flights and will delay the boat until you arrive.

We had a lost bag on our cruise leaving out of Venice. Make sure to go straight to guest services first thing when you arrive on board and let them know your travel info. They will coordinate with the airlines and get your bag to the proper port as soon as they can. Unfortunately my wife didn't get her bag until day 4, but its better than just being gone.  Most airlines will also reimburse you for clothing purchases resulting from delayed baggage as well. After this event, my wife and I always make sure to pack an extra outfit in our carry-on bags when we travel long distances or have multiple flight legs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There are good reasons that many/most don't use NCL air and fly in the day before.

As opposed to getting no assistance if don't use NCL air?  You can fly in the day before if you use NCL air - in fact, they currently give you a $25 credit if you do.

NCL will hold the ship (within reason) if your flight or shuttle is late.  If you miss a connection they will try to get you on another flight.  So good reasons why many do use NCL air.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anmyers72 said:

If it is NCL scheduled flights/transfers, they monitor the flights and will delay the boat until you arrive.

Make sure to go straight to guest services first thing when you arrive on board and let them know your travel info.

Good point on updating guest services about missing bags. 

I've heard some ports (including Vancouver where I'm leaving from) restrict the ships more due to the tides.  I'm hoping to never find out how much leeway they really have to delay departure...  

17 hours ago, FloatingAces said:

Happy cruising all,

We are packing carryon only for this reason. trying to work on my packing list to dwindle it down. I am not a fan of checking luggage anyway but with a layover and a cruise ship to get on. We will make it work in carry ons.