Recently on Meraviglia 10/30/21, ask any questions!

pvpollock

I just posted in the "Review" section, so below is a cut and paste.  We were an extended family of two Grandmas, 6 parents, and 5 kids ranging from 3 to 9 years old.  I will ask any questions you have, these forums were helpful to me so I want to return to favor.

I want to write this because I rely on reviews myself.  This is our 2nd MSC cruise, we chose it because the ship is a newer/larger vessel with pricing that was amazing for a family of four since kids are deeply discounted or free (pay taxes) on MSC.  There were multiple other family members, ranging from grandmothers to kids ranging from ages 3 to 9.  We booked late Spring when COVID vaccines started to improve the pandemic but COVID shutdowns flared off and on since.  When it came to departure at the end of October, the vaccinated adults still needed a negative test 48 hours prior and the unvaccinated kids needed a negative test 72 hours prior.  Everyone completed the test at a local CVS pharmacy prior to flying down to Miami, the results were all back within 24 hours of testing so no issues.  Getting on board in Miami and off the ship returning was super fast and easy, probably due to the low passenger load.

Our cabin was 13280, look at the ship layout when picking your cabin.  Our balcony was 2-3 times the size of a normal balcony because it was at a bend in the ship.  All the balconies in that section are under an overhang which is actually great because it protects from the wind/rain/sun.  I knew the balcony was big so I brought a hammock and slung it up for the week.  The staff can open the dividers if you have balconies next to each other, so we had 4 balconies in a room open and that allowed us to coordinate/visit without knocking on doors.  There is never enough space in any standard cruise cabin with a family of four, I do recommend taking a multiple outlet plug or power strip if you charge multiple devices nightly.  MSC has a couch that turns into a bunk bed which we love for the kids.

The rest of the review is based on the COVID circumstances and as cruising changes some aspects may change.  The ship holds 4500 passengers but I believe it sailed with just over 1000.  That changed a lot I suspect, because the service was absolutely amazing and I never waited for anything.  At the buffet, there are multiple extra staff willing to save you a trip up to get another drink and they were willing to walk along with my mother (uses a cane) so they could fill her tray with what food she wanted.  You could not serve yourself anything including drinks, but there was never a wait in line.  The 2nd day was Halloween and the ship was decorated, with loads of well carved pumpkins and amazing Halloween cakes made.  

Food is always important, and I feel like the quality was very good.  If you eat breakfast or lunch in the buffet everyday, it can be a little repetitive but how much variety to you get at your local buffet restaurant between visits?  There was an omelette station in the back that took a few minutes for a custom made order.  The main restaurant had a revolving menu that always had something good and our party often ended up ordering two appetizers or two entrees, etc each because we couldn't decide on one thing to try.  I like the main restaurants on cruise ships because they always offer things you don't cook at home yourself, some people may not like that so there is some generic things offered everyday as well.  The dining room staff was amazing with the kids, if they made some request like "I want grapes" then they appeared a few minutes later and then again the next day.  I'm sure they ran up to the buffet or the kitchen for such things because my wife wanted the flavored Coffeemate creamer in her after dinner coffee and they would fetch it every night because it wasn't on their cart.  Our head waiter Sailesh, and his assistant Reetesh were great and the head waiter  Vincent was always finding out what the kids (and picky adults) needed or wanted.  There were many empty tables every night so while it is possible that helped the service be so great, I believe it is more a reflection on the hard working staff.  We ate one night in the Steakhouse, it was free as a Black Club member and while it was very good, personally I would not have paid extra when the main dining venue is good.  My sister paid for the TexMex restaurant and thought it was worth it, but generally I don't do drink packages or specialty dining when I've paid already for something that is fine.  

The excursions/stops are hard to review due to COVID.  Since we had unvaccinated kids, we couldn't get off the ship with them unless on an MSC excursion.  Been to Nassau a bunch, so we stayed on board that day and had the waterpark area/ropes course to ourselves.  To be honest, we had it to ourselves anyway and no time did we wait for the ropes course or more than 2 minutes for a waterslide.  The solarium is a good area if its too windy or bad weather, the main pool was a good size as well with plenty of chairs since the passenger load was low.  In Ochos Rios the extended family all went to Puerto Seco Beach through the ship, it was a 40 minute ride and we got maybe 4 hours there at a very calm beach.  Liked that they had a huge pool if you didn't want sand, and plenty of chairs/shade.  We didn't eat there, but beer buckets were good priced.  The staff helping at the huge inflatable obstacle course was super helpful in helping the kids through.  

The private island became the first and last stop because COVID changed our itinerary.  I liked the private island, get off the boat early and go to the left towards the lighthouse.  There is a beach with FREE umbrellas and chairs, there are some waves here though.  If you go to the main beach by going straight forward off the ship there are chairs but only umbrellas to rent.  The main beach is waveless and huge, all beaches have a foodtruck with burgers/fries and the main buffet on the island is just OK with less great options than on the ship.  If staying on the ship, the gym was well stocked and the spa area had a thermal area that I used which was really, really nice.

The kids club was great, they come to pick up the kids about 45 minutes into dinner (they're done by then anyway) and you can pick them up whenever.  Our kids almost never want to go to kids club, but they did a good job on this one because they were always willing to go for an hour or two.  They had some family games in the evening as well so parents can join their kids, both our kids won prizes in a "make a halloween costume from these crafts" game where the parents help.  I do have one complaint, its that many of these kid events/games will start at 845PM, 930PM, or after 10PM.  The kids in our group were ages 3, 3, 4, 7, 9 so we missed out on some things because they normally go to bed like 830ish at home though they stayed up too late too many times this trip.

One final note, MSC has a program to match travel status from other companies, Google search MSC Status Match to find a link.  That can be other cruise lines, but also airlines and hotels.  I have Hilton Diamond status and though it took a long time to get them to match it, I am now a top tier Black member.  I got a free hour in the spa thermal suite, free chocolate ship, free specialty dinner, and some discounts on board.  If you have good status with a company, take advantage (once per person so pick your best level card).  

That's it, I personally like MSC as a cruise line.  Both cruises with them have had great service, good food, and nice new ships out of Miami.  There is a little bit of a European feel to it, but I think that can be a nice thing mixed into the brash American typical tourist experience.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

I'll be sailing Meraviglia for the first time soon and I am curious as to how many people will be on the ship. Crowds don't really bother me but 1K people on a ship meant for over 4K people sounds great!

I expect Seashore to be more crowded when I sail that ship during the summer but looking at that booking, there are still plenty of staterooms available there, too.

Thanks for the review. 👍

Thank you so much for the great review!  We will be sailing on Mera on March 6 and very excited. We almost booked the huge balcony but didn’t because I saw a photo and it seemed to be a tunnel. I want to be able to see the ocean when sitting in my bed. So I got the balcony next door 12276 - still larger but not as large. We are two adults and one 10 yo.

1) Did it bother you being on an angle and able to see inside everyone else’ balcony?  
2) Also, what was the traffic noise like in the hallway being near the stairs and at the beginning of two hallways leading to both balcony and inside rooms. Our room is right next to yours one floor down so I’m curious. 

3) Would love it if you would be so kind as to share a link to the hammock you brought so we can purchase. How did you hang it?

4) We love secluded beaches to avoid the crowds. It looks like there are at least 6 distinct beaches on Ocean Cay. We’re you able to visit others?  Also, which was the best for snorkeling?

On 11/24/2021 at 9:07 AM, pvpollock said:

Our cabin was 13280, look at the ship layout when picking your cabin.  Our balcony was 2-3 times the size of a normal balcony because it was at a bend in the ship.  All the balconies in that section are under an overhang which is actually great because it protects from the wind/rain/sun.  I knew the balcony was big so I brought a hammock and slung it up for the week.  

Edited by hmwende

2 hours ago, hmwende said:

3) Would love it if you would be so kind as to share a link to the hammock you brought so we can purchase. How did you hang it?

Not the OP, but one we have liked is Kootek Camping Hammock Double & Single Portable Hammock.  It comes with 2 tree straps (these are handy for attaching to any available securing point on the balcont so you don't have to worry about finding a hook) and is made of lightweight Nylon.  If you go to a website that sounds something like "Amaz-ing," 😉 they run about $19.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 10:23 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

I'll be sailing Meraviglia for the first time soon and I am curious as to how many people will be on the ship. Crowds don't really bother me but 1K people on a ship meant for over 4K people sounds great!

I expect Seashore to be more crowded when I sail that ship during the summer but looking at that booking, there are still plenty of staterooms available there, too.

Thanks for the review. 👍

We sailed on her in October and there was about 1200 people onboard, Yacht Club was at 80% capacity. The YC Top Sail Lounge and Dining Room had a busy feel all cruise. The rest of the ship, to us, just seemed odd. Walking down the Galleria with more staff than passengers was weird. The only area of the ship, outside the YC, that had a fun vibe was by the main pool at night. Not having a full ship, at first, seemed great, however as the cruise went on it felt like something was missing. We'll be sailing on her again in January and on Seashore in June.  

I will be on my first MSC cruise on the Meraviglia on 1/23/2022.  How soon was your boarding time assigned? Did it change after it was assigned (I have seen some report that theirs did)? 

How soon were you able to get off the ship? 

I’m trying to arrange transportation from an Orlando hotel to the ship and from the ship back to the airport and need to know the times to request. Thanks.

22 hours ago, jamesboat said:

I will have the drink package that includes fresh juice - did you happen to see fresh juice areas? On RC, they have one of those big machines that squeezes oranges in the buffet

I didn't have a drink package, the only juice I saw was that there were types at the coffee stations that came out of a machine (lemonade, mango, cranberry, etc).  Sorry

14 hours ago, hmwende said:

Thank you so much for the great review!  We will be sailing on Mera on March 6 and very excited. We almost booked the huge balcony but didn’t because I saw a photo and it seemed to be a tunnel. I want to be able to see the ocean when sitting in my bed. So I got the balcony next door 12276 - still larger but not as large. We are two adults and one 10 yo.

1) Did it bother you being on an angle and able to see inside everyone else’ balcony?  
2) Also, what was the traffic noise like in the hallway being near the stairs and at the beginning of two hallways leading to both balcony and inside rooms. Our room is right next to yours one floor down so I’m curious. 

4) We love secluded beaches to avoid the crowds. It looks like there are at least 6 distinct beaches on Ocean Cay. We’re you able to visit others?  Also, which was the best for snorkeling?

1) The balcony is just deeper than standard, standing atvthe end you can see other balconies which is no big deal. The divider wall is longer since the balcony is deeper,  the section near the sliding door cannot be seen from other balconies.

2) No noise issue at all

3) Basic fabric hammock with straps, normally you'd wrap them around a tree. There are small metal arms that attach the walls to the ceiling that can use the straps. 

4) Lighthouse Beach had good number people since its closest to boat. Ocean Lagoon is huge, so people can spread out more. Didn't snorkel, the lagoon was calmer water but didn't seem filled with sealife. Neither was "secluded"

20211102_171022.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I will be on my first MSC cruise on the Meraviglia on 1/23/2022.  How soon was your boarding time assigned? Did it change after it was assigned (I have seen some report that theirs did)? 

How soon were you able to get off the ship? 

I’m trying to arrange transportation from an Orlando hotel to the ship and from the ship back to the airport and need to know the times to request. Thanks.

We were assigned 1130, we got there then and yhere was no significant line. Waited for kids COVID tests for 20 min, then directly on board. They did not change our time on us

36 minutes ago, pvpollock said:

I didn't have a drink package, the only juice I saw was that there were types at the coffee stations that came out of a machine (lemonade, mango, cranberry, etc).  Sorry

Yeah thats all Ive seen on the videos, but the package does clearly say FRESH juice...

Thanks!

18 hours ago, pvpollock said:

We were assigned 1130, we got there then and yhere was no significant line. Waited for kids COVID tests for 20 min, then directly on board. They did not change our time on us

Thanks. I haven’t been assigned a time, but booked a transfer that should arrive at Noon. Two companies I contacted said the were fully booked on the dates I needed, so I wanted to get something booked before they all sold out.

15 hours ago, mommycruiser said:

Quick question: do they covid test you before or do the CVS tests suffice? Asking for my 11 year old who has already been vaccinated but I will still PCR test everyone.

good morning, YOU are required to provide COVID test results from a test taken w/in 48 hours.  This leaves out PCR tests for many as results are not guaranteed in 48 hours.   A Rapid test is recommended. There's plenty of info on this but it's not voluntary, it is mandatory at this point.

4 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

good morning, YOU are required to provide COVID test results from a test taken w/in 48 hours.  This leaves out PCR tests for many as results are not guaranteed in 48 hours.   A Rapid test is recommended. There's plenty of info on this but it's not voluntary, it is mandatory at this point.

Thanks! So no testing during embarkation as I will have the PCR tests from home?? 

2 hours ago, mommycruiser said:

Thanks! So no testing during embarkation as I will have the PCR tests from home?? 

I think people were trying to say the PCR would not get you on.  The test must be done within 48 hours of embarkation.  PCR testing takes over 48 hours, so while you may have your official results within the 48 hour window, the test was not likely taken then.  For example:  Your cruise is on a Saturday.  On Tuesday, you take the PCR test. On Thursday, you get the results.  On Saturday, the screeners see your test was not in the two-day window.  Then your troubles begin!

22 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I think people were trying to say the PCR would not get you on.  The test must be done within 48 hours of embarkation.  PCR testing takes over 48 hours, so while you may have your official results within the 48 hour window, the test was not likely taken then.  For example:  Your cruise is on a Saturday.  On Tuesday, you take the PCR test. On Thursday, you get the results.  On Saturday, the screeners see your test was not in the two-day window.  Then your troubles begin!

Thanks that answers my question!