Great pricing Tahiti Windstar, and a deal on Oceania

Petoonya

Windstar has some terrific prices for Tahiti in the "bucket list sale". $1499 for a 7 day. One of the 10 days is $2899. Pretty good for a luxury cruise line.  The 10 day includes the Tuamotus, but I don't know if that's worth the difference in price, not that Fakarava and Rangiroa aren't spectacular.

On a budget I'd make my own Twice the Tahiti 14 day for $2998. Never enough days in Tahiti- and that would come out to 4 days in Bora Bora alone. Prices only good until 11/30.

Prices have climbed considerably since Tahiti has opened up and this looks pretty good in spite of it.

In addition Oceania also has a good Black Friday thing going on. A four category upgrade for new bookings until 11/29. For instance you can get a cruise only 10 day for $2699 that includes Fakarava and Rangiroa.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

• Petoonya changed the title to Great pricing Tahiti Windstar, and a deal on Oceania
  • 4 weeks later...

$1499 is what it was 4 weeks ago. Prices are constantly in flux. But in all likelihood prices are going to continually climb as the demand for Tahiti post-COVID increases.

When you are trying to budget out what you can afford as I saw you posted on the WS board....some of the most reasonable excursions I've in FP found on Viator. Depending on the activity, they can range from $80-200pp. Sometimes you don't know the name of the company but almost all have their own reviews outside of Tripadvisor. Also plan at least one night of accommodations before and after your cruise to allow for some unusual Papeete flight times. Economy roundtrip airfares can run between $500 and $1500pp from SFO or LAX. There are always cruise ship gratuities to factor in with WS, $24/night. There are other incidentals. Renting a car is an option but I feel anything that takes you away from time ON and IN the lagoon is time wasted. But that's just me.

I'd strongly recommend a minimum of 10-11 days in FP. Any less and the long flights make is seem less worthwhile. Nov-Mar is the rainy season, not that at other times of year you won't get rain just a little less likely. Whale season in June-October. Prices higher at these times but in all the years I've watched prices are a "little" softer early Sept. I think the best bang for your buck is May- between the seasons and not high summer prices.

If you're in the planning stages, spend a lot of time on this board reading threads. There is a TON of good info here. Half the fun is planning!

Edited by Petoonya

20 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Also plan at least one night of accommodations before and after your cruise to allow for some unusual Papeete flight times.

Wish I knew about the sale 4 weeks ago.  :(

I don't have time for a night of accommodation before the cruise.  The plan is to fly overnight and be there around 6 AM on the day of the cruise.  I hope that isn't going to be a problem as boarding isn't until 1 PM.  If there is any extended flight delay or cancellation, that's a different story.

Do you know if these prices (below $1,500-$2,000 for 7 days) are typical of Windstar in Tahiti?  

If you knew about the sale 4 weeks ago you would have had a heck of a deal, albeit you probably would have been rained on a lot- it was late this month early next. Now look what the prices are! I guess those sales attracted a lot of people and ship's probably just about full.

Prices for a 7 day in normal non-COVID times were about $2300-2400pp. So $1800 now is still a pretty sweet deal. Except for the winter months that 7 day price stays about the same. Yet in this world and how shaky people are feeling about committing to a cruise with all the COVID uncertainty, who knows? Especially for the Wind Spirit sailings and the latest one that you can get that price on is 3/31/22. If you have an open schedule that's the one I'd want. That gorgeous sailing ship is made for Tahiti.

You've cruised a bit it sounds like and as they always say....sailing in same day runs all kinds of risks. I've seen flights get scrapped totally both on UA and ATN. I wouldn't risk it for the world, but we all have different risk tolerances. If you do end up flying in day prior, there is a great B&B that is widely used by CC members. It's Fare Suisse, about $100/nite and includes transport from the airport to the port.

• Thanks 1

@izmeeh

You're welcome. I hope you do it!

It's been two years since I did the 18 day on Wind Spirit and the memory still mesmerizes me. It was a dream. Doing another 18 day next August pandemics and good health permitting.

Be eager to know what you decision is. Find a travel agent who can give you some freebies. But don't wait too long as I sense those prices will rise shortly and you will be shut out.

I'm ready to book but the agent Windstar has sent my way (when I filled out the form online for a quote) is in Texas and they are closed.  No freebies and even gave out wrong information when I asked about the $1,499.  I will need to change my return date since the flight of the dates I first searched has gone up.  

I don't know of any local TA.  I saw an online one giving $30 back for booking online.  Should I just call Windstar directly?  Is that still with a random TA or someone who works for Windstar?

I'd book the cruise with WS and forget perks. WS is not the most generous in the industry to TA's so you might be hard pressed to find one who can offer you more. The one WS sent you included. The commission on your particular cruise, if the fare is $1799 pp, is probably only about $320. Not a big pie to share. Book the cruise and get that price guaranteed. People are going to start looking for deals after Christmas is my best guess, and those fares will be snapped up.

And if you book with Windstar direct that's no travel agent- the one they sent you to in Texas is. The beauty of booking direct with WS is that you can call them and get questions answered directly by them. Getting an agent involved you have to go through the agent. Unless you have some experience with the agent, you've no idea how long he/she is going to take to get back to you.

WS won't talk to you as soon as you involve an agent in your booking. Without they will.

Edited by Petoonya