Power Tap Adapter

JPSemprini

I have not asked Royal Caribbean yet (maybe I don't want to know the official answer) but does anyone know if power tap adapters are allowed on RC ships.  The one I am thinking of is a simple three-prong grounded plug that converts one outlet into three.  There is no surge protection...very old school or USB outlets involved.  Anybody have any experience with this?

tap.jpg

We've used this type of power adapter with no problem on RCI ships.

Also consider using an NA to European plug adapter as most electronics can use or run on  the higher voltage the European socket provides. Just check the voltage rating on your devices.

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks.  I kind of figured it was okay and plan to take it along on our upcoming cruise on Navigator.  I was looking for the European to NA adapter I had from a trip a few years back and couldn't find it, but did find the Euro/NA voltage converter which has a fuse in it--I imagine that is forbidden.  Most of the things we have are dual voltage so the adapter, if I can find it, will work for an extra outlet.  This is more of an academic question because In all honesty I don't think we have all that many things to plug in anyway--but I did wish that they did provide at least one more outlet!  Oh, on this trip we will be staying in a Grand Suite for the first time.  Does anyone know if it has an extra outlet as compared to a regular balcony?  

2 hours ago, robtulipe said:

The plug adapter below is the one I use to connect our NA power corded laptop to the ship's European power 220V socket as its power pack is rated for up to 240Volts.

IMG_3441.JPG

1 hour ago, JPSemprini said:

I was looking for the European to NA adapter I had from a trip a few years back and couldn't find it, but did find the Euro/NA voltage converter which has a fuse in it--I imagine that is forbidden.

Yeah, I'm guessing the converter is not gonna meet "specs" - whatever they may be for the guys running the Xray machine that day.

As the original poster and you pointed out, many devices with adapters already have voltage conversion.  If you're not sure and/or just want "extra outlets", I always travel with a multicharger and a large battery pack:

I can charge my phone / camera from the adapter, then plug the battery pack into it to charge while I'm away from my cabin.  The battery pack is small enough to fit nicely on the microscopic night tables - so I can use my phone as my alarm while charging it overnight.  It's like a bedside outlet without the outlet!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not affiliated with Anker, but I've been using their products for years.  Your mileage may vary.

--bruce T.

2 hours ago, Btank said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the converter is not gonna meet "specs" - whatever they may be for the guys running the Xray machine that day.

--bruce T.

A plug adapter does not change the voltage so isn't a voltage converter.

It simply allows you to plug your NA plug on the device's power cord to the higher than NA voltage European electrical socket that is also available in the cabin. 

Most power supply for modern electronic devices, if not all, are rated to operate on up to 240 volt sources.

4 hours ago, JPSemprini said:

I was looking for the European to NA adapter I had from a trip a few years back and couldn't find it, but did find the Euro/NA voltage converter which has a fuse in it--I imagine that is forbidden.  

Here in Canada, these plug adapters are available at a very low cost in our dollar stores like Dollarama and Dollar Tree. Also carried by electronic retailers like Staples, Best Buy and The Source.

What any cruise ship will not permit is a Surge Protector device. The power systems on ships is different than power systems on land. Surge protectors can cause a serious issue if there is a ground fault anywhere on the ship. 

8 hours ago, JPSemprini said:

I have not asked Royal Caribbean yet (maybe I don't want to know the official answer) but does anyone know if power tap adapters are allowed on RC ships.  The one I am thinking of is a simple three-prong grounded plug that converts one outlet into three.  There is no surge protection...very old school or USB outlets involved.  Anybody have any experience with this?

tap.jpg

I use one on every trip including two weeks ago.  Never been an issue.  I think power strips or extension cords are what is not allowed. 

13 hours ago, JPSemprini said:

A voltage converter is merely a transformer, which is not a problem on ships, and allowed.  Whether a device has a fuse or not also does not affect whether or not it is allowed.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:17 AM, chengkp75 said:

A voltage converter is merely a transformer, which is not a problem on ships, and allowed.  Whether a device has a fuse or not also does not affect whether or not it is allowed.

I think the bigger challenge is whoever is doing the screening.  If they see something that they associate with a surge protector - a switch, fuse, LED indicator - they may just yank it.

--bruce T.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick follow up...the three prong adapter worked out just fine.  The euro adapter made it on the ship but not before questioning during carry-on screening, but wasn't used because the cabin outlets were recessed and the adapter wouldn't actually fit.  The suite did have an extra outlet where the coffee maker was plugged in.  

Happy sailing and merry Christmas to all.  

25 minutes ago, outtoseacruise said:

This is perfect for adding an additional A/C outlet and also gives you 4 USB Charging Ports. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3WWGP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I see no VPN in the pictures of the device, the text mentions that this is surge protected.  Many times they will claim surge protection, when they are actually talking about voltage regulation for the USB ports.  But, if you can find a VPN number or "joules of energy" rating in your documentation, then the device is surge protected, and should not be used on ships.