Question about stepchildren

Keys2Heaven

I truly hope this is a stupid question, so here goes.

My wife and I are cruising this next December via Carnival. We are taking her two (2) children from her previous marriage, both who are teenagers. My wife has sole custody of the children as a resut of a 2001 ammendment to the joint parenting agreement between her and her ex. Basically, the provisions of the agreement state that she has the right to take the girls out of state if need be.

The question I have is whether or not we will need to show this custody paperwork at the time of embarkation. We will be using birth certificates for ID's but I wonder if they will scrutinize because their last names are different from ours. Will we need to have something signed and notorized by their father stating that it is o.k. for them to vacation with us?

Keys ...

I have 2 stepsons. My wife has primary custody ... they go to their father's house every other weekend.

We have cruised each of the last 2 years (boys are now 14 and 17). We have never carried anything other than their birth certificates and id's. We have never been questioned about or asked for any additional documents. This has been our experience.

I have been reading the boards lately as well and have seen the questions posted. I honestly have yet to see anyone state they were asked for a court order or a notarized letter stating the step-kids could travel with a parent and the parents new spouse.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced the opposite, as well.

Keys,

We took my 15 year old stepson several years ago and had no problems. Just take the custodial papers along for good measure.

HOWEVER - what date in December are you sailing. If your return is after January 1st, you will need passports for the kids and yourselves to re-enter the U.S.

Keys,

We took my 15 year old stepson several years ago and had no problems. Just take the custodial papers along for good measure.

HOWEVER - what date in December are you sailing. If your return is after January 1st, you will need passports for the kids and yourselves to re-enter the U.S.

Nope, plan to be back on December 17th. We were planning on taking custody papers and I am in process of become a notary. So, I will have her ex sign an affidavidt of permission for each child and will notorize myself.

I did a search after I posted my question and read about how many take along notorized permission papers.

Out of 11 cruises, I have been asked for notarized permission letters 9 times for my kids. Princess even sent me their own documentation to have my ex fill out and get notarized.

I would NOT arrive at the port without it. They may not ask for it, but if they do and you don't have it, you may have a very short vacation. It's not worth taking that risk. I guess in the case of full custody, you need court papers. I am also told by a reliable source that even though my ex has to sign for permission to get my kids passports, that doesn't superceed the possible need for the other documentation.

Just a suggestion, but I would definately show up with something in addition to just ID's.

If you are going Carnival no documentation is needed for stepchildren. The only thing they need is a birth certificate and a photo ID (if they are over 16.)

It wouldnt be a bad idea to bring it if you can, but it is not required. I'm not sure about other cruise line policies.

As long as she has sole cusody and you have the paperwork you guys will be okay.Please take the custody paperwork with you. You will not need anything from your wife ex. I have sole custody of my daughter and i wasnt ask but i did have them just in case. Carnival didnt even ask for bc.

As long as she has sole cusody and you have the paperwork you guys will be okay.Please take the custody paperwork with you. You will not need anything from your wife ex. I have sole custody of my daughter and i wasnt ask but i did have them just in case. Carnival didnt even ask for bc.

Above is not necessarily the case., check with your cruiseline as to what they require. What you are dealing with are cruise line regulations which are based upon what the laws of other countries require. These other countries do not have to abide by the courts of the United States or any court orders that they issue. Chances are you will not have a problem but to say if you have sole custody you will not have a problem is just incorrect information. Just because one person wasn't asked doesn't mean a thing. Check with your cruise line and mention the specific cruise you are going on because the countries you will visit probably have different regulations.

We were planning on taking custody papers and I am in process of become a notary. So, I will have her ex sign an affidavidt of permission for each child and will notorize myself.

I did a search after I posted my question and read about how many take along notorized permission papers.

Maybe it's just my paranoid self, but I would check to make sure about the legality of your using papers for yourself that you have notorized yourself (Ok - did that make any sense??). I know that my office-mate is a notary, but whenever she has her own stuff (or something that invloves herself) that needs to be notarized, she has someone else do it.

I posted on this issue earlier. I said that on preevious cruises we had not taken any docs with us and been fine. After reading this thread, I have decided for the next cruise to get a letter signed by my step-sons father stating he is aware of and ok with them taking the trip. Better to be safe than sorry.

I did look at Carnival's website for info on the subject. They say the following:

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico."

That is vague enough (except on the Mexico part) to get you into trouble.

Maybe it's just my paranoid self, but I would check to make sure about the legality of your using papers for yourself that you have notorized yourself (Ok - did that make any sense??). I know that my office-mate is a notary, but whenever she has her own stuff (or something that invloves herself) that needs to be notarized, she has someone else do it.

You've totally misread. The papers will be signed by her ex-husband...not me. They are not for myself but rather for my wife, these are her children. A notary can't notarize their own signature, but they can for anyone else. And the notary doesn't need to see positive identification if they can positively id the signator (i.e. they personally know the signator). In this case, the signator is her ex-husband which I can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt. Now, if you are suggesting that this is a conflict, there is none.

Make sense?

Honestly, it will take less effort for me to become a notary rather than try and drag this guy to some local bank for his signature. Plus, he tends to get very paranoid when having to sign anything and very often likes to exert control by stating he will not sign. He's a real jerk. Anyway, I wouldn't call what I am doing deceptive, but rather for ease of use. I figure he can sign in front of me while we are in the process of picking up our daughters and then I can notarize in the car. I'll tell him i'm a notary if he asks but if he doesn't sign he can explain it to a judge.

Archived