Tour recommendations for Versailles

Sasue1

My husband and I will be spending four days in Paris post our transatlantic cruise. Can anyone recommend a tour company that we could use that would offer transportation to and from our hotel for  a half day tour of Versailles?

Thank you so much,

Susan Widsten

I think I used Viator.  They sell the tour, but it will be provided by a local tour company.  So they are a middleman.  But lots of people use them. 

https://www.viator.com/Versailles/d763-ttd

You also probably could just arrange it thru your hotel upon arrival. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

It's quite easy to do it on your own. Frequent trains from Paris to Versailles, then a short walk to the palace (impossible to miss). Rick Steves' Paris guide has good step-by-step directions, tips, and a proposed route and information upon arrival.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sasue1 said:

My husband and I will be spending four days in Paris post our transatlantic cruise. Can anyone recommend a tour company that we could use that would offer transportation to and from our hotel for  a half day tour of Versailles?

You can take the train to Versailles or you can take a taxi.  It's only about 30 euros and it delivers you to the Palace gates. 

For tours, the best ones are given by the Palace itself.  Or you can get the admission ticket ("Passport") and tour on your own with the audioguide in their free app.  Here is the website:

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices

Make sure to enter the date of your visit to see what's available then.  I don't think all offerings have been posted yet.

Two taxi rides (30 x 2=60 euros) plus two passports (20 x 2=40 euros) for a total of 100 euros for two people and you can take all the time you want to and visit the Palace, the gardens and the Trianon at your own pace.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

I set up the private tour that Versailles offers.  It was only about $11 more than buying just the entrance ticket.  It lasted an hour and a half.  We saw parts of Versailles that are not open to the general public, which were wonderful.  It enabled us to go on the train around Versailles (we still laugh about that), see the gardens and fountains, etc.

There was a general admission line of approximately two hours.The best part was seeing the look on my daughters' and granddaughters' faces when we walked around to to a small building and were immediately let in to sit and wait for our tour to begin in 10 minutes.  Priceless!!

We also took either taxis or Uber for transportion.

• Like 3

2019 we took the train. Very easy! The best advice I received was not to wait in line for the palace tour, but go directly to the amazing gardens and the Hamlet first. Which we did. Hours later, we walked directly into Versailles with no wait and took their tour. We had the best time! Then took the train back to Paris. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, Sasue1 said:

Thank you so much,

Susan Widsten

Don't go with Viator, book the guide or tour company directly and save money.

• Like 1