Cruise Insurance

Skip2MySue

Getting ready to insure my big investment and searched "insuremytrip.com" and they gave me a zillion choices. Looking to you experienced cruisers to guide me to what is best. Leaving from NY in May on 8 dayer, no air travel, $3200 investment. Thanks for your help

Getting ready to insure my big investment and searched "insuremytrip.com" and they gave me a zillion choices. Looking to you experienced cruisers to guide me to what is best. Leaving from NY in May on 8 dayer, no air travel, $3200 investment. Thanks for your help

I think alot depends on what you want. I know when we booked our cruise a year ahead we went with a company that would allow you to cancel the trip in the case of a lay-off. It was called Travelguard and we chose it because hubby works for a bankrupt airline. This last cruise we only booked a couple of months ahead and we picked a cheaper company that did not offer insurance in case of a lay-off. Some insurance pays better for medical emergencies-so if your health is not good you may want to go with one like that. It all depends on your needs.

skipcoleman......

Don't feel that you need a high priced insurance premium to insure your trip.

You should be in the $100. range.

I usually book with Travelex or Travelguard.

You probably will never use the insurance. But, in the event that something does occur, you want your dollars insured.

You can do this with a nice low premium.

I would recommend purchasing the insurance within the "pre existing condition" waiver date....which is usually 2 - 3 weeks from initial deposit.

skipcoleman......

Don't feel that you need a high priced insurance premium to insure your trip.

You should be in the $100. range.

I usually book with Travelex or Travelguard.

You probably will never use the insurance. But' date=' in the event that something does occur, you want your dollars insured.

You can do this with a nice low premium.

I would recommend purchasing the insurance within the "pre existing condition" waiver date....which is usually 2 - 3 weeks from initial deposit.[/quote']

Did you just purchase the cruise? Have you made final payment? If you just purchased, pre existing conditions will be covered. Otherwise, pre existing will not be covered unless you buy one of the very expensive policies with no waiver provisions.

You really do not need a lot of "luggage coverage". Your homeowner's will cover that. If you are not renting a car, stay away from the policies that have rental coverage.

I personally like Travelex Lite. I am usually looking for cancellation coverage and EVACUATION and medical (which I consider THE most important to cover). Travelex Lite allows you to increase the evacuation/medical over the basic policy and delete rental car and some other non-essentials, like flight insurance. They also have a small death benefit.

i HAVE INSURANCE AT WORK FOR ILLNESS OR ACCIDENT IF I AM AWAY.

MY CREDIT CARD COVERS 2000 THOUSAND FOR CANCELLATION ETC. IS THIS ENOUGH? I HAVE NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS BUT HAVE 2 ELDERLY PARENTS IN A NURSING HOME. ALSO, WHAT IS EVACUATION INSURANCE AND HOW IMPORTANT IS THIS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ADVICE

MY CREDIT CARD COVERS 2000 THOUSAND FOR CANCELLATION ETC. IS THIS ENOUGH? I HAVE NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS BUT HAVE 2 ELDERLY PARENTS IN A NURSING HOME. ALSO, WHAT IS EVACUATION INSURANCE AND HOW IMPORTANT IS THIS?

evacuation insurance..... While sailing, if you should become ill, and need to be evacuated off of the ship, it cost A LOT OF MONEY !!!! I think something like 40,000. to 50, 000....or some very large amount like that.

Very rare.... but it does happen. You will read about it on this boards from time to time.

If anyone should die (family), and require you to not sail, because of the funeral, etc.... you will want to be able to cancel the cruise. After final payment, the only way to collect your money back is to have insurance.

Read the fine print on your credit card policy. I am not saying that it will not cover you. Just make sure that indeed you are covered for what you think you are covered for.

I like to take no chances (regarding pre-existing) and I purchase the insurance within two weeks of the initial deposit.

I assume you have verified that your insurance from work covers you out of your country???

Cancellation-how much was the cruise??? You need insurance for the total cost of NON REFUNDABLE expenses-shore excursions, flights which are non refundable and will cost you a change fee.

Elderly parents-cancellation or trip interuption protection for "pre-existing" conditions. Each policy is different in what can be covered and what time frame you will need to purchase insurance to insure for "pre-existing" insurance. If you have parents in a nursing home, I am sure there are "pre-exisitng conditions". You usually need to purchase insurance within 10-20 days of making the initial deposit on your cruise.

Evacuation insurance-EXAMPLE: You fall down someplace (on the ship or on land, doesn't matter). Major fracture, you need specialized care, not just a doctor who can set a broken leg. You will need to be "evacuated" to a hospital which can provide proper care. Being evacuated off a ship can cost upwards of $20,000. Being evacuated from a foreign country lacking proper medical care to a hospital (not necessarily in the US) where you can receive the care you need could run $100,000 or more depending on location. I truly believe this is the most important coverage you can have. Most of us could loose $5000-10,000 for cruise expenses MUCH easier than trying to come up with $50,000 in cash or credit immediately to pay for medivac helicopter (or similar).

Hope this info was helpful

Thanks I will check my work insurance but I think I am ok if something happens > I had broken my ankle 3 years ago on vacation and my work insurance flew me home first class at a cost of 1300.

I spoke to thecredit card people and I am covered up to 2000 so I would lose some but not all will keep checking.

Once again fellow members came to the rescue with answers to my question and also help for other fellow cruisers. THANKS!!!!!!:)

Archived