NCL Support if you test positive?

Lou33

On 12/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

Early on, lots of people made compulsive decisions with cancelations. Then a different offer came out and lots of hate and discontent because NCL said “you cancelled and accepted one offer, can’t cancel again next week and get a different offer.”  Same thing happened on other cruise lines. 

Well, not exactly fair. I was booked on one of those March 2020 cruises when the industry shut down. I waited as long as I could, NCL said you must cancel within 48 hours of departure to receive FCC. If I waited any longer I would receive $0. NCL waited until it was just inside the 48 hours to cancel the cruise. They knew they were going to cancel but wanted to refund a little as possible. And, no, I didn't have CFAR because before this pandemic, it wasn't necessary. My insurance would have covered any of the reasons that I wouldn't have traveled. When I booked, worldwide pandemics were not a thought.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:22 PM, kcotto said:

Welcome to Cruisecritic.  Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry to hear that your 25th anniversary was not what you signed up for.

It sounds like you never received a COVID test once you were quarantined?  Is that true? 

What an article that sums up how difficult basic communication can be when you need it most.

So, if I am to understand correctly, if we test negative at port and feel we are free and clear the close contact rule can apply and kick in unexpectedly.

In my opinion, that would really mean a member of the ship's crew who was your waiter, fill in the blank, for how else would they know if you weren't with a group.

What a mess this has all become and I'm gaining quite an education at an important point in time.

Looking forward to a time where there is real transparency and a consistent set of rules.

6 hours ago, kcotto said:

No we didn't. We asked for our peace of mind, even though we weren't showing any symptoms and were told "the ship doesn't have the capability to do testing"

Maybe this is an example of how the cruise lines avoid showing too many positive cases.  I they don't test, they don't get positive results.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Maybe this is an example of how the cruise lines avoid showing too many positive cases.  I they don't test, they don't get positive results.

While I don't have any proof, I am convinced this is exactly what cruise ships are doing to keep reported numbers below the 'threashold" (whatever number that is). I draw this conclusion based on multiple reports of guests being denied a test.

On the other hand, I think it will be very interesting to follow the MSC Divina this week. They have enacted a new policy where every single passenger must test again on day 2 of the cruise. At first I though this was going to be a huge potential for increasing onboard cases, but just read an article that states antigen is basically useless in detecting omicron.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

At first I though this was going to be a huge potential for increasing onboard cases, but just read an article that states antigen is basically useless in detecting omicron.

We are currently getting about half a million new cases every day in America.  So a lot of those tests must be working.

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

While I don't have any proof, I am convinced this is exactly what cruise ships are doing to keep reported numbers below the 'threashold" (whatever number that is). I draw this conclusion based on multiple reports of guests being denied a test.

On the other hand, I think it will be very interesting to follow the MSC Divina this week. They have enacted a new policy where every single passenger must test again on day 2 of the cruise. At first I though this was going to be a huge potential for increasing onboard cases, but just read an article that states antigen is basically useless in detecting omicron.

No doubt that is a convenient side effect, but do they really have the time and resources to test every passenger who wants 'peace of mind'? 

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

No doubt that is a convenient side effect, but do they really have the time and resources to test every passenger who wants 'peace of mind'? 

I've read about close contacts being denied a test, so I think they maybe denying more than just the casual person wanting peace of mind. At some point, I suspect they are going to hand out a binex now testing kit with each key card (joking,............... kinda)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thain said:

What an article that sums up how difficult basic communication can be when you need it most.

So, if I am to understand correctly, if we test negative at port and feel we are free and clear the close contact rule can apply and kick in unexpectedly.

In my opinion, that would really mean a member of the ship's crew who was your waiter, fill in the blank, for how else would they know if you weren't with a group.

It's been reported on other threads that cruise lines are determining "close contacts" through video camera footage and facial recognition (although I'm not sure if that has been confirmed). Cruiselines can also track where you go if you use your card to purchase drinks, etc. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Not every passenger.  But if they lock you up because they feel that you're a threat to other passengers, then of course that person has a reason to be worried that they may be positive.  

On 12/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, tafawke said:

As someone living in Canada, I purchased COVID specific insurance - the possibility of having to spend up to 2 weeks in New Orleans (yes I am booked on the Breakaway in less than 2 weeks) was a bit scary without some kind of insurance... beyond what NCL can / will do... 

hello … I too am from Ottawa - can I ask what insurance you ended up going with? 

Concerning....stay home might be a plan...the stress of possibly  being caught up in the above would ruin my cruise.  I have a cruise booked for later in the year.  If this kind of thing is still happening to cruisers, I will cancel.  That's just me.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

The CDC's thresholds for Orange and Yellow are so small that most ships are Yellow anyway. One person per thousand people pushes a ship into Yellow status. There doesn't appear to be a threshold that pushes a ship into Red. I'm wondering if the denied tests are more about lack of tests onboard or potential legal/monetary implications. 

2 hours ago, wampuscat7 said:

The CDC's thresholds for Orange and Yellow are so small that most ships are Yellow anyway. One person per thousand people pushes a ship into Yellow status. There doesn't appear to be a threshold that pushes a ship into Red. I'm wondering if the denied tests are more about lack of tests onboard or potential legal/monetary implications. 

This is what the CDC uses to determine the threshold for red: 

image.png.849f39c689f9e39f6b703a43139ddb56.png

You absolutely maybe right about lack of tests onboard. I still believe a cruise ship will do everything it can to avoid becoming 'red', even if that those measures are a bit clandestine. 

I just read this report on another thread.  This was just a few days ago and it doesn't sound like Norwegian handles a positive result very well

Cruising on Norwegian Bliss and Testing Positive-- One Family's Experience

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2822627-cruising-on-norwegian-bliss-and-testing-positive-one-familys-experience/

• Thanks 1