NCL Sun and shore excursions...

wcf

We are taking our 2nd cruise(first one on Jewel) with the Sun on 4/1, Easter Caribbean. Does anyone have any ideas with the Domincan Republic stop? Is it Samana or an Island off the coast? It is hard to get any information on this port. Also, I have read some reviews on the Sun. Anyone else have some comments on the Sun?

Also, for shore excursions, I am interested to find some "locals" in Tortola or St Thomas for their help. I want to see either the baths or a dolphin adventure in Tortola, and in St Thomas, we may go to Buck Island(st croix) or just to Trunk Bay in St John.

Thank you in advance. Bill

Hi Bill,

If you head over to the St. Thomas / St. John board, you can find some good ideas on what to do during your stay there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

You won't have enough time to get to the Baths and back to make it worth the trip but there is plenty to do on St. Thomas and St. John. If you search that board, you'll find TONS of good suggestions on how to spend your day.

St Croix is 50 miles south of St Thomas and you will not have time to just run over there to do Buck Island. St Thomas has a buck island also. It was used for underwater demolition practice after the war, but I don't think it is a touristy thing. I assume you've been to StT before. If you get high enough, like Drake's Seat or Mountain Top, it has gorgeous views of down islands. At least see some of those on your way to St John.

• 4 weeks later...
We are taking our 2nd cruise(first one on Jewel) with the Sun on 4/1, Easter Caribbean. Does anyone have any ideas with the Domincan Republic stop? Is it Samana or an Island off the coast? It is hard to get any information on this port. Also, I have read some reviews on the Sun. Anyone else have some comments on the Sun?

Also, for shore excursions, I am interested to find some "locals" in Tortola or St Thomas for their help. I want to see either the baths or a dolphin adventure in Tortola, and in St Thomas, we may go to Buck Island(st croix) or just to Trunk Bay in St John.

Thank you in advance. Bill

Comments about the Sun: for us it rates almost even with the Jewel. We are taking her for the second time next month. Can't wait to compare, 4 years apart.

NO, St Croix is not possible from St Thomas, but St John's is a wonderful idea. The baths in Virgin Gorda are among our favorite of all excursions (20 cruises) we did do it via the ship tour, but you can do it on your own as well. We did the baths, then back to Tortola and a bite to eat at Pussers. that's a must if only for a quick drink.

I am sure you are reading every single review that has come along lately, most have been quite positive; the few that have not been seem to be based on pretty minor complaints. Have a great cruise: we look forward to your review. NMnita

Archived