Family Group Cruises or can we make friends with other families on board

Canadianian

Thinking a lot lately about family cruising and what might be in my future when I have kids.  I love the idea of family harbor and that got me wondering do you find that you get to know other families.  I am very extroverted and my wife is not, but meeting people is a huge part of cruising for me.  I have done one singles cruise and I still have friends from that one and would love to have that social experience again.  

Would love to hear about peoples experiences getting to know other families while travelling and also has anybody ever heard of group cruises that are specifically family themed.  Like a group of families travel together go on shore excursions together,  Maybe have on board functions just for that group of families.

Thanks

There are (or pre covid were) Tauck trips that were geared specifically towards families.  You can definitely try the roll call of any mainstream cruise to meet other families and try to find tours.  Private tours for just my family had been how we travelled, but there are a lot of advantages to groups of families getting together.  You do need to be aware of the one pitfall of a family running late for the start of the tour, which would put you in the uncomfortable position of having to decide if you should go ahead without them or how long you will wait.  

Also, many kids clubs have open hours on the first night, which might be a really good way to meet other families.  Plus you can see if there are any parent child activities on the ship.

Edited by kitkat343

much will depend on your kid(s) personality.

I am an extrovert, DH is an introvert, and our kid hates kid's club on the cruise and is absolutely opposed to "making new friends" or even talking to other kids.

In general, though, of course, you can make friends as a family while cruising. That said, kitkat is correct - we used to cruise with our friends and their kids, and, yes, miscommunication happens, and you may end up at different beaches, late, or accidently separated, or can't find each other on the ship. If you make friends with families with a slight difference in kids' ages - someone may be needing a nap while your kids are hungry, or your kids will love going to kid's club, while somebody else's kid doesn't, or kids end up in different groups... Just go with the flow.