Port Management

jhannah

This was briefly mentioned earlier, but I just got some more info on this from an organization. You might find it of interest.

Port operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia have been, or soon will be, purchased by Dubai Ports World, a state-owned company in the United Arab Emirates, a firm that manages port facilities. The purchase was cleared by an obscure federal panel, the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, with little fanfare.

The United Arab Emirates government is generally pro-U.S., but the September 11 hijackers traveled easily through the country, and Al Qaeda-linked groups have used its banking system. Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma is pleading with the administration to reverse the decision. At a press conference outlining his opposition, he said, "Handing the keys to U.S. strategic ports to a regime that recognized the Taliban is not a sound next step in our war against terror."

Several Senators and Representatives are calling for hearings into the matter. This is a matter which deserves a full and complete hearing.

To read the Washington Times article on this, click here. http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20060220-121022-8852r.htm

...but the September 11 hijackers traveled easily through the country, and Al Qaeda-linked groups have used its banking system...Note: This was snipped...not Jim's words!
Seems to me this could describe the good ole USA...

Not that I believe we should allow this purchase by DPW, but I cringe when the self-rightous politicians start barking at the gate. Seems to me they haven't done one thing concerning port security so far and I seriously doubt their convictions now...must be an election year.:mad:

Do we blame the UK for the actions of the "show bomber"? After all, he is a British citizen, travelled easily through that country and probably did his banking there.....

And, of course, those port facilities are currently owned by a British company!

The UAE are US allies and have been for quite some time.

"the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States" is only obscure if you aren't familiar with foreign investment. It's part of the treasury department, and was specifically established by congress "...not to discourage [foreign investment] generally, but to provide a mechanism to review and, if the President finds necessary, to restrict [foreign investment] that threatens the national security." (http://www.treas.gov/offices/international-affairs/exon-florio/) I doubt the president and the white house would do anything to allow them to be seen as "soft" on security!!

Sounds more like the Senator from Oklahoma is running for re-election...

Archived