Is Odyssey anything like Symphony and Allure?

AZDivers

10 hours ago, AZDivers said:

Because we are good with those 2 ships as we have been on both and looking for a different layout and experience. Is Odyssey a different layout and experience or would it be too similar if the Symphony and Allure are something you don't care to do again?

I was just on Symphony and it was great overall. I can't say the same for Odyssey. They are nothing alike. Too many issues going on this week:

Food isn't good

Staff not nearly as friendly as Symphony.

Elevators packed beyond 6 (even with crew inside and not enforcing limits or masks in some areas)

Drinks are terrible (they don't give you a straw either- even for frozen drinks- have to ask)

Was assigned MTD even though I had late seating booked/confirmed online- explanation

finally was they needed that deck at 8:00 for unvaccinated! ("MyTime" starts at 6:45).

The line for MyTime last night was 40-50 deep on either side.

The embarkation staff was not friendly

The ship feels too much like a mall inside with tight spaces and poor layout

in terms of flow for sure (some dead ends)

The dining room looks like a cheap banquet hall- my "table" was part of a very long cushion seat too.

They called and told me they did not have upgrade cabins available even though the capacity right now is around 3600.

The line for the windjammer extended onto the pool deck with 40+ people outside on the deck waiting to get to the inside line this morning.

The App did not work for hours when boarding. Then I'm told (after it started working) that IFly was sold out except for a few single slots (I tried to get on standby). When pressed and said the App is giving an error when trying to book an "available" time slot, they said that means the time is sold out- then why not display that it is sold out on the app vs. implying it is not working? Then they tell us we have a few slots for two in Nassau available (a miracle!). Well, Nassau is Nassau so I took those. 

You only get one slot for the week for North Star or IFly so no reply value. North Star is fine but not worth booking a ship for.

The cabin is nice however and also no issue with air conditioning! The shower is bigger like Symphony.

Pool areas are full and chairs reserved with towels. I don't lay in the sun anyway.

The ship just does not have that happy, open, social feeling like the others. If you want something else, try the Freedom Class! Hopefully some of the shows this week are good. The Symphony shows were amazing! 

Edited by RoyalC

3 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

I was just on Symphony and it was great overall. I can't say the same for Odyssey. They are nothing alike. Too many issues going on this week:

Food isn't good

Staff not nearly as friendly as Symphony.

Elevators packed beyond 6 (even with crew inside and not enforcing limits or masks in some areas)

Drinks are terrible

Was assigned MTD even though I had late seating booked/confirmed online- explanation

finally was they needed that deck at 8:00 for unvaccinated! ("MyTime" starts at 6:45).

The line for MyTime last night was 40-50 deep on either side.

The embarkation staff was not friendly

The ship feels too much like a mall inside with tight spaces and poor layout

in terms of flow for sure (some dead ends)

The dining room looks like a cheap banquet hall- my "table" was part of a very long cushion seat too.

They called and told me they did not have upgrade cabins available even though the capacity right now is around 3600.

The line for the windjammer extended onto the pool deck with 40+ people outside on the deck waiting to get to the inside line this morning.

The App did not work for hours when boarding. Then I'm told (after it started working) that IFly was sold out except for a few single slots (I tried to get on standby). When pressed and said the App is giving an error when trying to book an "available" time slot, they said that means the time is sold out- then why not display that it is sold out on the app vs. implying it is not working? Then they tell us we have a few slots for two in Nassau available (a miracle!). Well, Nassau is Nassau so I took those. 

You only get one slot for the week for North Star or IFly so no reply value. North Star is fine but not worth booking a ship for.

The cabin is nice however and also no issue with air conditioning! The shower is bigger like Symphony.

Pool areas are full and chairs reserved with towels. I don't lay in the sun anyway.

The ship just does not have that happy, open, social feeling like the others. If you want something else, try the Freedom Class! Hopefully some of the shows this week are good. The Symphony shows were amazing! 

Very Interesting. Hoping for a better experience in Feb

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Odyssey is different than Freedom class in many ways.

Odyssey has the SportsPlex which is great for all that like activities and since it is indoors and air conditioned it operates during inclement weather unlike the outdoor sports court on Freedom class.  Bumper cars at times in the SportsPlex are a hoot.  The Playmakers in Odyssey's SportsPlex is the best Playmakers in the fleet with amazing sea views.

No water slides on Odyssey though.

The Promenade concept from Freedom class becomes The Esplanade on Odyssey which is like a Promenade with a dog leg turn in the middle.  

The Two70° venue on Odyssey is wildly different from anything on any other class of Royal ship.  

The North Star observation pod and the sky diving simulator are more unique Quantum class features not found on any other class of ship.  North Star holds a Guinness Book of Record entry for its height.  

Like Oasis class, Quantum class are the only other class of Royal ship that have a dedicated suite restaurant "Coastal Kitchen" and the concept of The Royal Suite Class (Sea/Sky/Star).  

I think the Playmakers on Odyssey is nice, but overall I like Playmakers on Freedom better. The one thing I do prefer on Odyssey is the large TV screen above the sportsplex area. Great picture and great view if you can get a seat at the bar table on the other side of the sportsplex. But I prefer Freedom because it is a lot easier to watch multiple games at the same time based on the layout. The layout on Odyssey is a little too choppy in my opinion.  

11 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the Playmakers on Odyssey is nice, but overall I like Playmakers on Freedom better. The one thing I do prefer on Odyssey is the large TV screen above the sportsplex area. Great picture and great view if you can get a seat at the bar table on the other side of the sportsplex. But I prefer Freedom because it is a lot easier to watch multiple games at the same time based on the layout. The layout on Odyssey is a little too choppy in my opinion.  

Not a sports fan, so the only reason we decided to try Playmakers on the Independence recently was the menu. It was OK (I enjoy a good wing - they were just OK). What amazed me (again, not a sports fan) was the volume levels for the game on Saturday night, 12/4. When commercials came on, the volume was thankfully muted. When it got back to the game, I could swear I was in a dance/nightclub - straining to understand what the waiter was saying. Not pleasant, but I'm sure I was in an extreme minority, as most people were transfixed on the football game. Glad they were having a blast !!

Tom